Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

As feared, Song was fairly missed for physical presence.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Sol to return

Defender Sol Campbell is to play for Arsenal reserves at West Ham on Tuesday as the 35-year-old moves closer to a permanent return to the Gunners.
Former England defender Campbell has been a free agent since being released from his contact with League Two side Notts County in December.
Arsenal say he is playing for the reserves "with a view to a permanent move back to Arsenal Football Club".
Campbell played only one game for Notts County after joining from Portsmouth.
The former Tottenham, Arsenal and Portsmouth defender joined County in August, but left less than a month into a five-year deal.
Campbell, who was capped 73 times by England and played at two World Cups, was keen to resume his career as quickly as possible after settling his contract dispute with County.
It is understood offers were also on the table from Hull and Newcastle, but Arsenal were always Campbell's first choice and he is still held in high regard by manager Arsene Wenger.
"He has a fantastic attitude and good fitness," said Wenger last week.
"Of course he is not the youngest, but he is in a very good shape. He can still play in the Premier League, I've said that many times.
"He is important in the dressing room as well. He's positive with the young players.
"Every year we have one or two like that and I think a Premier League club will sign him."
Campbell spent five years at Arsenal between 2001-2006, during which time he won two Premier League titles, three FA Cups and scored in the 2006 Champions League final defeat by Barcelona.
Wenger's decision to bring back the veteran defender, who will provide cover for Thomas Vermaelen and William Gallas alongside the 32-year-old Mikael Silvestre, will cast further doubt over the future of Philippe Senderos.
Campbell is able to play for Arsenal reserves on Tuesday under a special registration.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Dinny Breen

Better than Senderos, should provide good cover so nice to see the big man back..
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 12, 2010, 06:40:35 PM
Better than Senderos, should provide good cover so nice to see the big man back..

A central defense of Berbatov and Voronin would be better than one with Senderos in it.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Quote from: muppet on January 12, 2010, 07:00:41 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 12, 2010, 06:40:35 PM

A central defense of Berbatov and Voronin would be better than one with Senderos in it.

The Vog has just been told of this prospective partnership and seems to be a little, how you say in English, aroused.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

There's no way Campbell can be anywhere up to speed with Premier League football. The likes of Torres would surely murder him.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

stiffler

Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2010, 08:16:01 PM
There's no way Campbell can be anywhere up to speed with Premier League football. The likes of Torres would surely murder him.

not too many premier league footballers that are like torres
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Norf Tyrone

I heard about Adebayor's outfit and thought it was a wind up! Footballers!!!  :o
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

Campbell played the first half tonight. Kept a clean sheet.

Archie Mitchell

He obviously didn't plan this "holiday" to Togo. Still doesn't excuse him for wearing it though.

Can't see the sense in Campbell coming back. Surely Arsenal have money to spend to go out and get another player the same way they got Vermalen in the summer.

ONeill

They all try their hand at being a Gooner  -

Archie Mitchell

I think that's worse. At least Adebayor was wearing his old team's colours. What's Essien's excuse?

ONeill

Straight red for Eboue in ACN.

ONeill

The Arsenal midfield man thundered into poor old Agyemang with a two-footed scissor tackle from behind, near halfway.