Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2009, 02:23:56 PM
Lads, you reminded me of us (Spurs) against Seville in 2007 when we gave away two early goals and lost the tie before it had really started... though mind you we eventually showed balls (unlike the Goons last night) to salvage a draw in the game at least. I almost felt sorry for Arsenal!! ;D

You are easily the weakest of the so called top four in England ;D

Tony spurs were the weakest of the bottom 4 in England for a long time this year.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

ildanach

would like to see them sign

defenders
lescot from everton
richards from man city
chygrynskiy from shaktar donetsk

toure from barca for central midfield

and a new keeper maybe that lad that utd had on loan at cardiff?

they would all cost in the region of 50m
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ildanach

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

irunthev

As expected Theo Walcott signed a new deal..... after being nurtured by Wenger for the past few years in the early-Henry role out wide, will we see Walcott unleashed as an out and out striker next season..... Walcott and RVP up front and flog Adebayor for £20m?? RVP has a great brain and Walcott incredible speed and both can finish. Along with the sale of a few squad players that should realise another £10-15m that would leave £35m in the bank along with whatever the board have scraped together. Surely a budget in that region will bring in three top players with decent experience?

Tommy Tight Lips

walcott aint the answer up front,definitely not.we need a big man up front with rvp,someone who can score in the air and on the deck,proven quality,not easy to find i know but thats what we need.i wouldnt be sure of the stats but walcott hasnt scored that many this season but i do appreciate he was out for 3months,still dont think hes a clinical finisher considering the positions he gets himself into with his pace,needs 3 chances for every 1 he converts.we need rid of rodney trotter and let adebayor go to fcuk,wud generate a fair wee bit of money to buy a proven striker and you would have rvp,eduardo with a full pre season behind him and vela another year experience behind him.
dont get me started on the midfield or back four or id end up writing a dissertation!!

ildanach

Quote from: irunthev on May 08, 2009, 01:13:15 PM
Along with the sale of a few squad players that should realise another £10-15m that would leave £35m in the bank along with whatever the board have scraped together. Surely a budget in that region will bring in three top players with decent experience?

we need closer to 50m though. 35m buys sfa now look what utd paid for berbatov and he has been shit this season!

irunthev

Quote from: Tommy Tight Lips on May 08, 2009, 01:29:02 PM
walcott aint the answer up front,definitely not.we need a big man up front with rvp,someone who can score in the air and on the deck,proven quality,not easy to find i know but thats what we need.i wouldnt be sure of the stats but walcott hasnt scored that many this season but i do appreciate he was out for 3months,still dont think hes a clinical finisher considering the positions he gets himself into with his pace,needs 3 chances for every 1 he converts.we need rid of rodney trotter and let adebayor go to fcuk,wud generate a fair wee bit of money to buy a proven striker and you would have rvp,eduardo with a full pre season behind him and vela another year experience behind him.
dont get me started on the midfield or back four or id end up writing a dissertation!!

The thing about the Arsenal players is that individually they are very good players and plenty of Premiership clubs would want them, it is just collectively they do not make a Premiership winning team. That blend of youth and experience is missing and the two most experienced players that Arsenal have Gallas and Toure have both had horrible seasons. Toure is unrecognizable from a couple of seasons ago and I can only assume that Gallas and Drogba were room mates at Chelsea.

Tommy Tight Lips

aye was reading a column on sky sports of andy grays,he reckoned they have a quite a bit of experience,despite their ages he felt adebayor,fabregas,likes of clichy were experienced,add that in with toure,gallas almunia,rvp,there is experience there.but ask yourself the question of how many of the arsenal players would get on for utd,chelsea and liverpool and a regular basis,very few!!

in fact the likes of eboue,bentner,song,diaby,denilson would certainly not get on for villa or everton and even a few others in the top ten.toure hasnt been the same since sol campbell left the club,gallas for a centre half isnt physically commanding enough,he never attacks the ball in the air or plays centre forwards in the fashion that vidic,terry or even ferdinand would.
i
n an ideal world we would get a new keeper,two defenders,two midifielders and a striker but will be very surprised if that happens.i think we really need two centre halfs,toure beside a quality one may come again but we have no cover as djourou and silvestre have showed.if we could get one commanding figure in the middle of the park wenger may feel thats enough with arshavin available,and rosicky hopefully with a pre season behind him.what about santa cruz in place of adebayor??

irunthev

Quote from: Tommy Tight Lips on May 08, 2009, 01:54:16 PM
aye was reading a column on sky sports of andy grays,he reckoned they have a quite a bit of experience,despite their ages he felt adebayor,fabregas,likes of clichy were experienced,add that in with toure,gallas almunia,rvp,there is experience there.but ask yourself the question of how many of the arsenal players would get on for utd,chelsea and liverpool and a regular basis,very few!!

in fact the likes of eboue,bentner,song,diaby,denilson would certainly not get on for villa or everton and even a few others in the top ten.toure hasnt been the same since sol campbell left the club,gallas for a centre half isnt physically commanding enough,he never attacks the ball in the air or plays centre forwards in the fashion that vidic,terry or even ferdinand would.
i
n an ideal world we would get a new keeper,two defenders,two midifielders and a striker but will be very surprised if that happens.i think we really need two centre halfs,toure beside a quality one may come again but we have no cover as djourou and silvestre have showed.if we could get one commanding figure in the middle of the park wenger may feel thats enough with arshavin available,and rosicky hopefully with a pre season behind him.what about santa cruz in place of adebayor??

I have yet to be convinced by any of the South Americans that have come to the Premiership with the exception of a few of the Brazilians and Argentineans. I would be very surprised if Wenger spent £20m on a player with a reputation for sulking like Cruz. They have ability but their attitudes seem to stink. Nobby Solano is about the only exception I can think of.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: irunthev on May 08, 2009, 02:30:02 PM

i

I have yet to be convinced by any of the South Americans that have come to the Premiership with the exception of a few of the Brazilians and Argentineans. I would be very surprised if Wenger spent £20m on a player with a reputation for sulking like Cruz. They have ability but their attitudes seem to stink. Nobby Solano is about the only exception I can think of.

Gustavo Poyet, Mascherano?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

charlie stubbs

Quote from: YogiBear on May 06, 2009, 10:28:21 AM
Daily Mail - he looks like a right tool
[/quotebendtner has went up in my estimation!a clown on the pitch and off it!

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2009, 02:32:30 PM
Arsenal imho have a pretty good squad but I would move the following on

Abou Diaby - Very frustrating player would probably command between 3 - 5m
Denilson    - Limited likewise would command 3 - 5m
Mikael Silvestre - The less said
Emmanuel Adebayor - Capable of brilliance but just a lazy sh*t - should have taken the money last season, probably only worth 15m now
Emmanuel Eboue - Has talent, just a terrible attitude although has improved in that regards since been booed at the emirates - 2m - 4m.

Leaving a budget of between 23 - 29m in sales plus maybe another 20m form the board. So is 40 - 50m enough to but 2 centre backs, 2 defensive midfielders and 2 goalkeeprs? Probably not but the players Wenger should target are

GK
Boruc from Celtic
Stekelenburg from Ajax - fantastic 2 seasons ago but injuries have cost him his place this year

CB
Yobo, Lescott from Everton
Demichelis from Munich

Holding/Defensive MF
Alonso from Liverpool
Barry from Everton
Senna from Vilarreal, 32 but would bring great experience and a bit of bite
Zyryanov from Petersburg, 32 as well I think but a good holding midfielder

If Arsenal could buy any of the above or players of their ilk, they can really challenge next season, the talent is there, the energy is there, the guile just that bit of dog and experience is all that is missing.

Seriously how good would Arsenal be if they could field a team from the following squad

Boruc/Almunia
Sagna/Toure/Hoyte
Demichelis/Gallas
Lescott/Yobo
Clichy/Gibbs
Walcott/Nasri/Wilkshire
Senna/Alonso/Zyryanov
Fabregas/Barry/Song/Ramsey
Arshavin/RVP/Bendtner/Eduado/Vela

That would be the perfect blend of experience and youth imho so hopefully the defeat last night will be a watershed and Arsenal and Wenger will move on from that.

r u serious?

irunthev

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 08, 2009, 04:40:44 PM
Quote from: irunthev on May 08, 2009, 02:30:02 PM

i

Gustavo Poyet, Mascherano?

Mascherano is Argentinean... I made an exception for them and the Brazilians. Fair point on Poyet though...... there have been a heck of a lot more though that have been total flops and it is usually the clubs desperate to make a mark that sign them.... eg Birmingham, Wigan Newcastle and Blackburn. I think half these S Americans come from absolute poverty and once they get a few bob it's a case of job done and let's head back to the good weather.

I do feel that Brett Hangeland has Arsenal player written all over him and if he wants to move from Fulham then the only one of the top four who would be in for him would be Arsenal. Man U have plenty of centre halves.... Liverpool would only leave him on the bench and Chelsea are well stocked there too. Seems an intelligent and level headed guy too.... just the sort of character that Arsenal need and he also knows the Premiership. Would be perfect partner for Toure

ONeill

Interesting to see Arsenal's reaction this Sunday. A win keeps the run going and puts a wee bit of pressure on Chelsea to hold on to 3rd. A draw and that dream's over but it'll be 22 games undefeated. A loss and it's a horrendous end to the season.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

irunthev

Quote from: ONeill on May 08, 2009, 08:04:05 PM
Interesting to see Arsenal's reaction this Sunday. A win keeps the run going and puts a wee bit of pressure on Chelsea to hold on to 3rd. A draw and that dream's over but it'll be 22 games undefeated. A loss and it's a horrendous end to the season.

I think it will be just as hard for Chelsea to pick themselves up. An 2-2 draw.