Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Quote from: ONeill on May 06, 2009, 12:06:43 PM
Last night was probably the wake up call Wenger and the board needed. They may play the best football on the planet on their day but when it comes to the crunch in April/May you need a mix of everything - and Arsenal are seriously lacking in the leadership department. After those opening 7 mins yesterday, Wenger needed someone on the pitch who was aware of the bigger picture - having the composure and focus to keep shape and stick to the task of concentrating on defence first of all. Although Gibbs was unlucky, you don't find mistakes like that at the highest level and on the biggest stage.  Arsenal were like a bunch of greyhounds running rings around a rotweiler but when Utd decided to bite Arsenal went into their shell. The other three semi-finalists have strong characters throughout their lines. Arsenal looked exactly what they are - a bunch of kids with limited experience. Utd didn't actually play all that well. They scored two fortunate goals that killed the game and just let Arsenal have the ball knowing they'd never get through a bank of 8 players the way Arsenal play.

If you look at the team that so nearly won the CL in '06 -

Lehmann, Eboue, Toure, Campbell, Cole, Pires, Gilberto, Fabregas , Hleb, Ljungberg, Henry

that has almost the perfect mix.

Last night:

Almunia, Sagna, Toure, Djourou, Gibbs, Walcott, Fabregas, Song Billong, Nasri, Van Persie, Adebayor

and it's hard to believe they actually reached the last 4 in Europe.

Arsenal can't wait forever for these players to hit their peak as the lack of trophies means they'll be easily tempted elsewhere. It all depends what Arsene wants. He may leave the club in profit and with a bank of good young players but having won 2 doubles and three titles with the unbeaten runs he accumulates, it would be a pity way to see out his tenure as 4th best in the country.

Totally agree and unless they change their approach to transfer fees, contracts and wages they will continue to be a young inexperienced team, for as their players improve, so they will be snapped up by the biggest paying clubs in Europe. Also, if you insist on getting rid of players when they are 30 or 31 then you won't have experience. Would Fergie want to be rid of 35 year old Footballer of the Year Ryan Giggs or Scholes? With the appliance of science that Wenger implements at Arsenal surely players should be good until they are mid-30s... just look at Milan, breaking their neck to get 33 year old Beckham and already they have at east four first teamers over the age of 33. Wenger is a wonderful manager..... he now needs to reassess and I think he will.

highorlow

QuoteWas there a bit of a barney between the lads on Rte after the match i missed it.

Aye the 2 buckos Dumphey and Giles had a right go at Souness.....I got the feeling they had the Gooners backed moneywise and were pissed off.

Dumphey turned to Souness and told him he didn't know what he was talking about, Souness asked Dumphey who did he manage. Dumphy in typical fashion said "i managed to stay alive for the last 63 years sunshine' or something to that effect.

Billo took an ad break and the 2 bucko's had a go at him on another issue after the break.

Charlie kept quiet all the way through though  ;)
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Norf Tyrone

Good post O'Neill.

Arsenal have the parts of a team that are difficult to find, the quality elemant shall we say. Lack the productivity elemant. A keeper, centre half or two, and a hallion in the middle of the park is all the miss. However the four signings need to be leaders.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: highorlow on May 06, 2009, 01:14:56 PM
QuoteWas there a bit of a barney between the lads on Rte after the match i missed it.

Aye the 2 buckos Dumphey and Giles had a right go at Souness.....I got the feeling they had the Gooners backed moneywise and were pissed off.

Dumphey turned to Souness and told him he didn't know what he was talking about, Souness asked Dumphey who did he manage. Dumphy in typical fashion said "i managed to stay alive for the last 63 years sunshine' or something to that effect.

Billo took an ad break and the 2 bucko's had a go at him on another issue after the break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8P2jtn4J4M
You'll Never Walk Alone.

T Fearon

Lads, you reminded me of us (Spurs) against Seville in 2007 when we gave away two early goals and lost the tie before it had really started... though mind you we eventually showed balls (unlike the Goons last night) to salvage a draw in the game at least. I almost felt sorry for Arsenal!! ;D

You are easily the weakest of the so called top four in England ;D

Dinny Breen

Arsenal imho have a pretty good squad but I would move the following on

Abou Diaby - Very frustrating player would probably command between 3 - 5m
Denilson    - Limited likewise would command 3 - 5m
Mikael Silvestre - The less said
Emmanuel Adebayor - Capable of brilliance but just a lazy sh*t - should have taken the money last season, probably only worth 15m now
Emmanuel Eboue - Has talent, just a terrible attitude although has improved in that regards since been booed at the emirates - 2m - 4m.

Leaving a budget of between 23 - 29m in sales plus maybe another 20m form the board. So is 40 - 50m enough to but 2 centre backs, 2 defensive midfielders and 2 goalkeeprs? Probably not but the players Wenger should target are

GK
Boruc from Celtic
Stekelenburg from Ajax - fantastic 2 seasons ago but injuries have cost him his place this year

CB
Yobo, Lescott from Everton
Demichelis from Munich

Holding/Defensive MF
Alonso from Liverpool
Barry from Everton
Senna from Vilarreal, 32 but would bring great experience and a bit of bite
Zyryanov from Petersburg, 32 as well I think but a good holding midfielder

If Arsenal could buy any of the above or players of their ilk, they can really challenge next season, the talent is there, the energy is there, the guile just that bit of dog and experience is all that is missing.

Seriously how good would Arsenal be if they could field a team from the following squad

Boruc/Almunia
Sagna/Toure/Hoyte
Demichelis/Gallas
Lescott/Yobo
Clichy/Gibbs
Walcott/Nasri/Wilkshire
Senna/Alonso/Zyryanov
Fabregas/Barry/Song/Ramsey
Arshavin/RVP/Bendtner/Eduado/Vela

That would be the perfect blend of experience and youth imho so hopefully the defeat last night will be a watershed and Arsenal and Wenger will move on from that.
#newbridgeornowhere

full back

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2009, 02:32:30 PM
GK
Boruc from Celtic
Stekelenburg from Ajax - fantastic 2 seasons ago but injuries have cost him his place this year

CB
Yobo, Lescott from Everton
Demichelis from Munich

Holding/Defensive MF
Alonso from Liverpool
Barry from Everton

Jaysus Dinny, why would you ever want Boruc? Wouldnt be worth a fcuk in the PL

The fat spanish waiter wouldnt sell Alonso to another top 4 club

Who is Barry from Everton? If it is him from Villa, Arsene wouldnt splash the cash for him

Dinny Breen

I've always like the look of Boruc, perhaps haven't seen enough of him..

He was close to selling him last year, so you never know. Yea sorry meant Barry from Villa, don't think transfer fees will be as high this summer and reckon someone like Barry will go for 6-9m.
#newbridgeornowhere

full back

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2009, 02:51:08 PM
I've always like the look of Boruc, perhaps haven't seen enough of him..

He was close to selling him last year, so you never know. Yea sorry meant Barry from Villa, don't think transfer fees will be as high this summer and reckon someone like Barry will go for 6-9m.

Could be right there

EC Unique

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 06, 2009, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: highorlow on May 06, 2009, 01:14:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8P2jtn4J4M

Just watched that and it reminded me why I pay for sky... Those muppets really should not be on TV.  Not that the sky boys are great but that is just embarrassing :-\

Tommy Tight Lips

embarassing they may be but i actually find it quite entertaining!when i watched the video on you tube there i also watched a few other ones of dunphy in action.his rant at terry venables a few years back was particularly amusing i thought!!

spiritof91and94

Quote from: irunthev on May 06, 2009, 11:29:19 AM
Bendtner is a frustrating player and needs too many chances to get his goals. However, I seem to remember Adebayor being similarly wasteful when he used to deputise for Henry and now we are talking about him being worth in excess of £20m. Don't think Bendtner will ever be in that price bracket, but he would be a useful sale even now to help fund bringing in a few proper players. A lad that has scored 14 goals this season and with his self-professed "potential" has to be worth £8m in anyone's money. He reminds me very much of Neil Mellor who played for Liverpool about four years ago and is now with....... Preston North End I believe.

Adebayor is a waste of space £20million is a joke....

irunthev

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on May 06, 2009, 04:30:42 PM
Quote from: irunthev on May 06, 2009, 11:29:19 AM
Bendtner is a frustrating player and needs too many chances to get his goals. However, I seem to remember Adebayor being similarly wasteful when he used to deputise for Henry and now we are talking about him being worth in excess of £20m. Don't think Bendtner will ever be in that price bracket, but he would be a useful sale even now to help fund bringing in a few proper players. A lad that has scored 14 goals this season and with his self-professed "potential" has to be worth £8m in anyone's money. He reminds me very much of Neil Mellor who played for Liverpool about four years ago and is now with....... Preston North End I believe.

Adebayor is a waste of space £20million is a joke....

I think he is over-rated too but I do think that when he goes he will command a fee in that region.. weren't one of the Milan sides willing to pay £25m for him last year...... he is young enough and he scored 25 goals last season and a dozen or so this season when it has been interrupted by silly injuries. Agree though..... not good enough.

muppet

Quote from: Minder on May 06, 2009, 10:37:33 AM

Does the fella carrying Bendtner play? Centre half maybe?
MWWSI 2017