Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Hope to see one hell of a reaction today.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

# 1 Almunia
# 41 Hoyte
# 20 Djourou
# 18 Silvestre
# 22 Clichy
# 08 Nasri
# 15 Denilson
# 17 Song Billong
# 02 Diaby
# 11 Van Persie
# 26 Bendtner

Only three outfield players who would be regarded as definite starters in a strongest line out. They may as well go for it. Could be a humdinger.

Man City:

* 01 Hart
    * 05 Zabaleta
    * 02 Richards
    * 22 Dunne
    * 15 Garrido
    * 08 Wright-Phillips
    * 07 Ireland
    * 33 Kompany
    * 12 Vassell
    * 10 Robinho
    * 27 Benjani

Yes I Would

Looks like the ball is over the wall at the emirates!! 
This should have been the day for the young side to stand up and make a statement!
All very puzzling. Was Wenger not aware of his captains concerns, many of which may have been valid?  Why did Gallas feel the need to go public?
Why appoint Gallas as captain? Surely a manager ought to know the character of any man who is delegated to lead the troops into battle!!
Has Wenger lost the plot?

Sad to see as i still believe the Gunners on techinical ability are the best team in the premier league and on song the most enjoyable to sit down and watch!!

screenexile

Don't worry too much lads my money's still on you for the Carling Cup ;)

Tony Baloney

O'Neill is quiet. Seen the highlights on Motd and Wenger said the result flattered City! Well his tie must have been cutting off the oxygen supply to his brain as on what i saw it could have been 5-0.

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 22, 2008, 10:57:46 PM
O'Neill is quiet.

Ach, just deflated. A troubled time simply because of the heights achieved over the last decade. To be 10 behind in November is not insurrmountable, given that there are 9 first teamers to return. If Arsenal are 6-7 behind at Christmas, I'll be pleased.

However, all is not well in so many areas and it's abundantly clear to all that no side fears the Gunners now. Away at the Bridge next Sunday. Gulp.

Over the Bar

OK gooners, what do you think is the answer to the implosion at the Emirates?

Norf Tyrone

Arsenal have the guts of a good side. Need one good centre half (Our man at SB Ivanovic has been superb coincidentally), a tackler in the midfield a la Viera, and a vocal goalkeeper.

The need some steel to match their silk. It's obvious and as simple as that IMHO.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 23, 2008, 08:45:18 PM
OK gooners, what do you think is the answer to the implosion at the Emirates?

Losing Flamini was crucial. Heard that 85% of goals conceded this season by Arsenal have been from midfield mistakes. Defensively at full strength (Sagna/Toure/Gallas/Sagna) is as good as any. Fabregas needs protection if he makes those last year late bursts into the box. Flamini provided that. Up front, between Adebayor, RVP, Vela, Bendtner and Eduardo, Arsenal can compete at the top.

IMO, a defensive midfielder would make the world of difference.

slow corner back

Sorry O Neill but if you think 1 defensive midfielder is all you need you are kidding yourself. More like two defensive midfielders, at least one centre half, a clinical striker and wingers who track back. Its all very nice looking good going forward but you need some steel in your team and some hard graft when things are going badly. Your squad is far too shallow and a couple of injuries have you in trouble thats basically what cost you last season. If he has any money Wenger needs to spend in January and again in June. There will be no league this season although you will remain a dangerous cup side.

Yes I Would

With Flamini and Gilberto gone, it was clear that there was little protcetion for Cesc i lar na bpairce and the back 4.
Wengers belief in his young players is admirable but sometimes a bit of muscle and niggle is required and had either Gilberto or Fllamini been retained or adequately replaced then the Gunners wouldnt be rolled over the way they are in the league at the moment and would be right there to the bitter end.

ONeill

Quote from: slow corner back on November 23, 2008, 09:30:56 PM
Sorry O Neill but if you think 1 defensive midfielder is all you need you are kidding yourself. More like two defensive midfielders, at least one centre half, a clinical striker and wingers who track back. Its all very nice looking good going forward but you need some steel in your team and some hard graft when things are going badly. Your squad is far too shallow and a couple of injuries have you in trouble thats basically what cost you last season. If he has any money Wenger needs to spend in January and again in June. There will be no league this season although you will remain a dangerous cup side.

Arsenal lost the title last year by 4 points. They led Utd 1-0 in the second half of their match late in the season at Old Trafford. If they had held on they'd have won the league. That was the difference. A penalty/free kick. The main difference to now was Flamini and injuries.

When teams go through a bad patch people find it wonderfully easy to analyse what is wrong, usually taking their lead from tabloids or MOTD analysts. When they turn it around, the same people shower plaudits on the same side.

Wenger will get it right with the current squad and maybe one addition in the new year. Confidence is low at the minute.

ExiledGael

Have to agree with the Gunner here, a good defensive midfielder in ther would make the world of difference at Arsenal.
Wenger has to take the blame for some of that though. It's obvious Denilson isn't up to protecting himself, let alone Cesc and the back four, at least not yet. Someone really should have been brought in and at the minute he's partially to blame for a number of others completely losing form.
Fabregas is a different player of late and someone in there breaking up the play and passing it simple and well would give him that freedom to go and play again. Losing that one key player in there has meant Arsenal have lost at least two other players really. Kolo is a shadow of the player he was but leave any centre-half exposed from midfield and any premier league team can take advantage. Him and Fabregas have suffered most.
Wright Phillips robbed RVP yesterday, dribbled maybe 20/30 yards without encountering any Arsenal midfielder, bore down on a flat back four and picked out an easy through ball which Robinho finished superbly.
In saying all that I still think Almunia and Bentner are rubbish. Pink f**king boots.

full back

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4543058,00.html

Arsene Wenger has appointed Cesc Fabregas as the new captain of Arsenal.

Speculation had been mounting as to whether the Gunners chief would decide to strip former skipper William Gallas of the honour.

The Frenchman had been openly critical of his team-mates last week, putting his position under threat.

Wenger has now decided that it is time for change, rewarding Fabregas for his continued progress into a world-class performer.

The Spaniard will lead the club for the first time in their UEFA Champions League contest with Dynamo Kiev on Tuesday.

Pressure
Wenger refused to comment as to why he had taken the decision at this juncture, but did admit that Gallas will be included in his side for the midweek European contest at Emirates Stadium.

"He will play against Kiev," he said.

He then added on the captaincy: "It will be Fabregas. I don't think I have to explain why. It is a permanent thing."

Wenger was also quick to dismiss reports that he had suffered a falling out with Gallas in the wake of the recent controversy.

"William is a player that I rate. I have big respect for him," he added.

"He was working as a captain under a difficult media environment and he was under big pressure. At some stage, you do not want that pressure to affect him or the team.

"For me he is committed to the club and he can become stronger as a player. I think it can be a new start for him."

Leaders
The Arsenal boss, keen to avoid going into detail regarding his new choice of captain, went on to outline what he expects from those charged with leading his side.

"I believe the captain is the voice of the club," he said.

"He (Fabregas), though, is just one of the leaders of the team. A successful team is a shared leadership - he will be one of many leaders."

Wenger is also confident that his troops can bounce back from consecutive defeats in the Premier League to make Fabregas' first game as captain a positive occasion on Tuesday.

"When we don't win then frustration kicks in, but this a good opportunity for us to show that we have strength and ability," he added.

"You go from catastrophe to fantastic and we are in between at the moment.

"We are frustrated, but it is not all doom and gloom. We have faith in our ability and we have a good opportunity to show that we care about the club."

Fabregas isnt having that good of a season so far, dont know if this is a good move or not

Norf Tyrone

Looking at last year's league table is dangerous IMHO O'Neill. Arsenal IMHO- despite what the table says- were much further behind than 4 point suggested, as much as Chelsea were actually further behind United than the two points or whatever it was in the end up.

I still don't rate Almunia to be honest. He was brought in as a sub keeper, and has ended up in goals more than he deserves. He is decent but I wouldn't see his as the rock that league winning keepers need to be.

Would Fabianski not be a better keeper?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone