Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Billy G is a bit touched in my humble opinion. I notice he still hasn't got round to taking José to court for claiming Gallas was going to deliberately score an OG.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

What's happening to this great club?

Ok, still 4th in the league, in the CL and cup, but something's badly wrong within the squad and although a great player, Gallas is doing little to address it in the appropriate manner as capt.

I never liked the attitudes of Adebayor, Eboue, RVP and Bendtner. Something a bit prima donna about them, especially with no league titles to their name.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Minder

Gallas is an excellent defender in his own right, he should not have the added responsibility of being captain. I would have Vela on before Bendtner, who is crap, and even more crap when he is being asked to play as a lone striker. He does not have the pace or mobility.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Real Laoislad

Wenger is becoming an even bigger pain in the hole than he already was..The man seems stressed  and not happy to me,always giving out and complaining about something..
Had a go and internationl players this week...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

At International Players, or at friendly Internationals? A lot of club managers have no time for Internationals, including Rafa. Having said that, I think Wenger is getting frustrated this past few years. Either he cannot or will not buy some experienced players to bolster his fantastic youth development policy, and it's costing them in terms of consistency. On any given day Arsenal can beat any of the top teams, but their struggles against some of the lesser lights is indicative of either not being able to get 'up' for those games, or else not being experienced enough or deep enough to survive in adversity.

the Deel Rover

he needs to get out the chequebook and buy Andy Reid
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

The Real Laoislad

Wenger Fury at no shows

By Chris Burton   Last updated: 21st November 2008

Arsene Wenger wants Fifa to punish those sides who withdraw players from international friendlies.

The Arsenal boss is furious at clubs that continue to pull their key men from international duty, only to then call upon those stars when domestic action resume days later.

The Frenchman insists that he never prevents any members of his squad from joining up with their respective countries, but feels that policy now puts him in the minority.

Arsenal's Premier League title rivals Liverpool and Chelsea both withdrew players ahead of the midweek round of fixtures, while Manchester United ruled out Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand before England boss Fabio Capello had announced his squad to face Germany.

The Gunners, though, paid the price for their leniency, as Theo Walcott is facing three months on the sidelines after dislocating his shoulder while training with the Three Lions in Berlin.

It is precisely that kind of situation which top clubs are unwilling to risk, but Wenger believes any player who failed to fulfil their commitments to their country should be barred from playing in their club's next game.

"It would be very interesting for Fifa and Uefa to make a study of players who have not played in any national team and who will play on Saturday or on Tuesday and Wednesday in the Champions League," said the Gunners chief.

"That would be the interesting thing to see.

Cautious
"I just think it's a sad situation that a friendly game was before games five and six in the Champions League and before important league fixtures.

"Many players have pulled out because this friendly is very badly positioned.

"We've never withdrawn any player. Our players, unless they have a big injury, we send them.

"We ask them to be cautious with them, especially in friendlies - and this usually happens with national teams because they are not crazy.

"The rules exist. If players are injured and did not play the game before, they do not have to report for the game.

"If the player has played in the game before, you have to send them to get examined by the doctor and they decide if a player comes back or not.

"Theoretically, if you do not play in the national team, you cannot play in the game after in the championship - that is the rule. That is why we always send our players.

"You have to ask the question is the fixture wrong or are the players wrong? I say the fixture."
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Gallas has been stripped of the Arsenal captaincy and dropped from the squad for tomorrows game
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gawa316

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 21, 2008, 05:59:54 PM
Gallas has been stripped of the Arsenal captaincy and dropped from the squad for tomorrows game

Jaysus what is their defence going to be like tomorrow?

ONeill

Tomorrow

No Toure
No Gallas
No Fabregas
No Walcott
No Eboue

Time for the wannabes to beabes.

Good call Nigel:

Gallas will stay on - Winterburn

Former Gunner Nigel Winterburn insists Arsene Wenger will not sack William Gallas as Arsenal captain, despite the defender's public attack on his team.

Gallas launched a stunning critique of his team-mates, revealing the mood in the camp has become fractious.

But Winterburn, who made 440 appearances in 13 years at Arsenal, told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I know Arsene and he'll be very hurt by the comments.

"But sacking Gallas would undermine everything about Arsenal right now."

It is not the first time Frenchman Gallas's position as skipper has been called into question this year.

His petulant reaction to last season's draw with Birmingham drew heavy criticism and earlier this campaign, he was photographed with a cigarette in his mouth leaving a nightclub.

His most recent comments have further angered Arsenal fans after he revealed he was forced to break up a fight in the dressing room during the Gunners' 4-4 draw with Tottenham while accusing an unnamed player of disrupting team morale.

Many supporters have called for Gallas to be demoted as captain, but Winterburn said: "In my view he won't sack Gallas.

"Arsene has put his trust in Gallas to lead Arsenal forward - to suddenly turn round and sack him says I don't trust you as a player.

"And if you don't trust him as a player it also means he's not going to pick him. Is he going to do that? I don't think so."

Bobby Barnes, assistant chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, said his organisation was not overly concerned by Gallas' comments.

"There are disputes at every club, every day, just like there are in other places of work," the former West Ham midfielder told BBC Sport.

"In a dressing room, there are always different personalities and dynamics.

"It's just unfortunate that this has come into the public domain. I visit Arsenal regularly and they have one of the most friendly and polite atmospheres of any club.

"The team spirit is good and it's a very well-run club."

Minder

I remember a few years ago a cerain Mr Keane, in an infamous MUTV interview, lambasting some of the younger Utd players for their attitude. He was lauded in certain quarters for calling a spade a spade.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Gallas has tried this before. Didn't work. The fact that Wenger has stripped him of captancy suggests he has had enough too.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on November 21, 2008, 10:39:48 PM
I remember a few years ago a cerain Mr Keane, in an infamous MUTV interview, lambasting some of the younger Utd players for their attitude. He was lauded in certain quarters for calling a spade a spade.

Probably the only time I have ever thought Keane was right,especially his comments regarding that donkey Ferdinand
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

Quote from: Minder on November 21, 2008, 10:39:48 PM

The difference between Keane & Gallas is that Keane backs up what he says on the pitch. Keane gets away with it because he led by example, Gallas on the other hand seems to be blaming everyone else.
Mind you, it was the beginning of the end for the Keane/Fergie partnership