Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: trailer on May 03, 2023, 09:51:32 PM
That West Ham team.... lol. Basically forfeited the game.

They were saving themselves for Man U on the weekend!

ONeill

That was ballsy enough today. Could have ended up 5-5.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mourne Red

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 03, 2023, 10:11:32 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 03, 2023, 09:51:32 PM
That West Ham team.... lol. Basically forfeited the game.

They were saving themselves for Man U on the weekend!

Looks like they were indeed lol

trailer

BrotherMore6592

Brighton were always going to have a big response after the Everton game

But the long and short of it is this squad have completely run out of steam. Yes city are arguably the worlds best team and exceptional but if you look across all the top leagues, Barcelona, Madrid, Napoli, Bayern, even dortmund, would all arguably have edged arsenal out over a league season

Jesus is not a top level striker, very easy to see why zinchenko and him were let go by pep. Surplus to requirements

Gabriel, whilst a very good defender, has moments of madness in him and can blow a fuse in big games.

Partey was let go by Atletico and let's be honest bar the odd good game once every 5 games when he's not injured he's been anonymous.

Saka and Martinelli both tired, we relied on their individual brilliance all season but they carried the team.

They don't deserve the league and Manchester City do. If they beat Madrid on Wednesday nights it's their treble

ONeill

Dunno how they kept toe to toe with City for so long. Arteta deserves credit for that.

Squad depth is something that should improve with CL football. Some hard calls ahead.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BrotherMore6592

Starting with Xhaka - move him on. I'd take money for Partey too.

Ben white - let him go as well. Couldn't care less where zinchenko goes, I've thought for the last 10 games Tierney should be starting ahead of him. Better defender and can cross a ball.

Jesus is a good backup but still need a top striker.

It could be worse, you could have blown money on the likes of Nunez or Antony/Sancho. And then there's Chelsea..

trailer

Quote from: ONeill on May 14, 2023, 11:18:28 PM
Dunno how they kept toe to toe with City for so long. Arteta deserves credit for that.

Squad depth is something that should improve with CL football. Some hard calls ahead.

Toe to Toe? What you on about? They were 8 points clear with 9 games to play! This is Devon Loch territory.

Look-Up!

Arsenal have had a very good season. They were looking very good for a while when it looked like 86-90 points might secure the PL title but since the half way stage of the season City have been relentless. 40 points from last 14 games, that is a serious pace. The 3 draws before the showdown with City were a killer, then the game itself nail in the coffin.

joemamas

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on May 14, 2023, 11:30:52 PM
Starting with Xhaka - move him on. I'd take money for Partey too.

Ben white - let him go as well. Couldn't care less where zinchenko goes, I've thought for the last 10 games Tierney should be starting ahead of him. Better defender and can cross a ball.

Jesus is a good backup but still need a top striker.

It could be worse, you could have blown money on the likes of Nunez or Antony/Sancho. And then there's Chelsea..

Agree 100% with your comments.
As the season went on, I also thought that Saka is way overhyped. Really hope I am wrong on that.
Either way he has to learn to move his ass and defend.

5times5times

Utd 3rd with possibly 2 cups. Us in 2nd with sweet f all.

We've bottled it. But of course Piers Morgan and his ilk will give Arteta such a wide berth.

Look-Up!

Arsenal are 6th in premier league wages, their wage bill is less than half that of City, Chelsea or Utd. They've had a brilliant season. A little disappointing by how they blew a few leads and only drew the games leading up to the City title decider, but squad size and key injuries caught up with them and they ran out of steam. Couple that with the fact City are a machine and went on a 14 game unbeaten run, W13 D1.

Arteta has shown great potential for a rookie in his 3rd full season as manager. They have CL football, they should invest heavily in the squad now to compete and win trophies. After this he will be judged against the big boys. Only someone trying to sabotage the clubs progress would light on him now.

Mourne Red

Quote from: 5times5times on May 15, 2023, 04:31:31 PM
Utd 3rd with possibly 2 cups. Us in 2nd with sweet f all.

We've bottled it. But of course Piers Morgan and his ilk will give Arteta such a wide berth.

Morgan has bashed Arteta for the past 2 years what are you on about.. only when it looked like the league was possible did that scrote start getting on board with Arteta

mrdeeds

Arsenal rank 20th for squad rotation in Premier league which explains why they've ran out of steam. Man City are fourth. Not sure is this that Arteta is poor at squad management or the fact the after 14 or so players the quality is not good enough.

J70

Arsenal have had a superb season. No one was expecting them to even challenge for the title, never mind sustain that challenge for so long with their squad. Arteta has done amazing work.

And once again, City, with all their endless resources, have had to put a ridiculous run of wins together to overtake them.

Bolster the squad and there's no reason why Arsenal shouldn't be up there for the coming seasons.

Heard on an Athletic podcast that they're the most likely destination for Declan Rice.