Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

You have to be a supporter to understand. Arsenal exist to make money for its owners, who do not demand trophies or that money be ploughed into the squad to freshen it up. Arsene is a sure thing every year to qualify for the CL and that's enough for the board. Arsenal are a business first and foremost with an excellent manager at keeping the figures in the black whilst qualifying the club for the biggest cash cow competition out there every year.

It's been said before on here to be careful what you wish for. But when there's zero satisfaction from the monotony of a top 4 finish, lily-livered football at the business end, further every year from the big prizes, staleness around the ground, worsening quality of football and footballer, you understand why I'd take a fresh angle. Even a relegation scrap is something! There's a lack of identity and the fans are disaffected. The move to the Emirates has produced fcuk all memories in the 10 years they've been there.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on August 29, 2016, 09:23:31 PM
You have to be a supporter to understand. Arsenal exist to make money for its owners, who do not demand trophies or that money be ploughed into the squad to freshen it up. Arsene is a sure thing every year to qualify for the CL and that's enough for the board. Arsenal are a business first and foremost with an excellent manager at keeping the figures in the black whilst qualifying the club for the biggest cash cow competition out there every year.

It's been said before on here to be careful what you wish for. But when there's zero satisfaction from the monotony of a top 4 finish, lily-livered football at the business end, further every year from the big prizes, staleness around the ground, worsening quality of football and footballer, you understand why I'd take a fresh angle. Even a relegation scrap is something! There's a lack of identity and the fans are disaffected. The move to the Emirates has produced fcuk all memories in the 10 years they've been there.

That's fine if you accept it.

But do you and the rest of the Gunners fans really wish to see your limited success swapped for the more entertaining but ultimately much more disappointing roller coaster enjoyed by the spuds and Liverpool?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Boycey

Quote from: trileacman on August 29, 2016, 10:01:10 PM

But do you and the rest of the Gunners fans really wish to see your limited success swapped for the more entertaining but ultimately much more disappointing roller coaster enjoyed by the spuds and Liverpool?

Is it much more disappointing though, both Liverpool and Spurs have had serious title challenges recently. Especially when u see that Leicester win the league last season it's hard to dispute that a little thinking outside the box from the powers that be at arsenal or by the management could have resulted in a title rather than being happy with the same old same old.

ONeill

I honestly do. It would be different if finishing top 4 meant something in terms of investment in quality but it actually appears to be the opposite. Good players leave. I think that finishing outside the top 4 should actually spark a different approach, for the better.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Boycey on August 29, 2016, 10:30:29 PM

Is it much more disappointing though, both Liverpool and Spurs have had serious title challenges recently. Especially when u see that Leicester win the league last season it's hard to dispute that a little thinking outside the box from the powers that be at arsenal or by the management could have resulted in a title rather than being happy with the same old same old.

Arsenal had a serious title challenge last season?

StGallsGAA

Shocker!! Arsenal actually buy players valued at more than £9.99!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37223120

mrdeeds

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 30, 2016, 10:40:21 AM
Quote from: Boycey on August 29, 2016, 10:30:29 PM

Arsenal had a serious title challenge last season?

Arsenal weren't seriously in title race last year. Nearly were after beating Leicester but then subsequent results meant otherwise.

Maroon Manc

I'm not convinced Wenger has bought wisely, with the amount he's spent Arsenal should be going very close on winning the title. Only time will tell.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 31, 2016, 01:24:17 PM
I'm not convinced Wenger has bought wisely, with the amount he's spent Arsenal should be going very close on winning the title. Only time will tell.

And Mourinho has? Only time will tell.

TabClear

Can't believe Wilshire being allowed to leave on loan.  When fit I reckon he is one of the best in the league. I'd take him to Anfield in a heartbeat.

Can he play left back? ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: TabClear on August 31, 2016, 01:35:23 PM
Can't believe Wilshire being allowed to leave on loan.  When fit I reckon he is one of the best in the league. I'd take him to Anfield in a heartbeat.

Can he play left back? ?

No way. I wouldn't want him around the place. We have enough injury issues.

TabClear

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 31, 2016, 01:37:42 PM

Can he play left back? ?

FFS AZ. Can you not see him feeding  sturridge and Ings. .......

Walter Cronc

Quote from: TabClear on August 31, 2016, 01:43:10 PM

Can he play left back? ?

Aye haribo in the treatment room

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 31, 2016, 01:25:39 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 31, 2016, 01:24:17 PM

And Mourinho has? Only time will tell.

We bought players who were the Bundesliga, Serie A & Ligue 1 players of the year from last season.

Wengers 2 recent signings may well turn out to be great signings but I'll need a lot of convincing that they are his priority signings when he's left it until the final few days of the transfer window.

Gaffer

Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 31, 2016, 01:49:22 PM
Quote from: TabClear on August 31, 2016, 01:43:10 PM

Can he play left back? ?

Aye haribo in the treatment room

And Embassy Regal !
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"