Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Worker

Merseyside doesn't agree with the gunners this year.

tyroneman

It's been said Wenger has allowed himself to believe these players are much better than they really are. Certainly seems so.

None of the back 4 are better than decent. Not 1 of them is a leader, a commander or a warrior. Carzola, Podolski, Rosicky are all window dressing. Great when winning. Nowhere when losing or need some dig.

Arteta remains a joke.

Keep Theo, Giroud, Ozil, Ramsey, Ox and Wilshere. Rest are dispensable.

Tony Baloney

T Fearon

Arsenal now in a battle with Spurs and Man Ure for Europa League spots next season

Never beat the deeler

Hasta la victoria siempre

Dinny Breen

I see a lot of the influential blogs while not King makers are opinion makers and are coming out saying time for a change. Hardy to argue against Arsenal winning the FA Cup as the last act of a great man, although the way they're playing even that's hard to foresee.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Totally agree with that.

Thanks Arsene, you were the club's finest but time to hit the hay.

It might mean 3-4 years of being Spursy but Groundhog Day is soul destroying. 4th place and the cup is a nice parting gift.

It'd be an awful pity if it ends up a disaster this season.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gawa316

Quote from: ONeill on April 09, 2014, 04:48:56 PM
Totally agree with that.

Thanks Arsene, you were the club's finest but time to hit the hay.

It might mean 3-4 years of being Spursy but Groundhog Day is soul destroying. 4th place and the cup is a nice parting gift.

It'd be an awful pity if it ends up a disaster this season.

Klopp?

ONeill

Just a good manager they need.

Some hacks mention the 'Arsenal' way of playing possession football. But, traditionally, Arsenal were more renowned for their defensive approach. The Wenger way needs the top top players he had in Pires, Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Overmars, Fabregas....in fairness Arsenal got Wenger at the perfect time. France were the best in the world for about 4 years and he nabbed a few of them.

Main Street

Traditionally Arsenal were known as a club who could play football before the dark years of defensive.
Arsenal were invested in crap football just before Wenger came along, traditionally had a bit of glory every 20 years or so and now that Wenger has defined high Arsenal standards that never existed before for them and stability of league position replacing helter skelter, some of the masses of acquired Arsenal fandom are in angst.
Wenger comes at a financial price but he is Arsenal down to the traditional bone and fortunately for Arsenal there are enough there who know that.
Use to be,  a bad season for defensive Arsenal was 10th to 15th place.

ONeill

None of that makes any sense.

Almost as much sense as:

I can't remember when Arsenal had 4th place all but secured so early in the season.

T Fearon

The rot set in with the double winning side of 70/71,a hollow victory based in dour football and a complete contrast with the free flowing football that was the Mark of the Spurs side who won the elusive double ten years previously.

Wenger to his credit had Arsenal playing attacking football for a short period but he could not rid them permanently of the negativity that's in Arsenal's DNA

AZOffaly

The 'Rot' started in the 1970/71 Double season? OK....

Since 1970/71 Arsenal's roll of honour
League Champions 1989 (pah!), 1991, 1998, 2002 and 2004 (5 times)
FA Cup Champions 1979, 1993, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2005 (6)
League Cup Champions 1987, 1993 (2)
European Cup Winners Cup 1994

Since 1970/71, Tottenhams Roll of Honour
League Champions - nil (0 times)
FA Cup Winners - 1981, 1982, 1991 (3 times)
League Cup Winners - 1973, 1999, 2008 (3 times)
UEFA Cup Winners - 1972, 1984 (2 times)

So that's 6 league titles to 0, and 14 to 8 in overall trophies won. So if that's a rot for Arsenal, Spurs must be decomposed by now.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

deiseach