Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ONeill on October 29, 2013, 11:42:43 PM
I hope you're right.

Bendtner was atrocious. Kyo offered nothing. Jenkinson second rate. It was just 2005-2013 all over again when meeting a decent side with world class-ish finishers and midfielders. Chelsea/Mourinho were very comfortable letting Arsenal tippy-tap.

That Chelsea team cost 250m and had 690 International caps,. You alluded to the chasm earlier yet still expect Arsenal to compete even though their attack was led by a guy they've been trying to get rid off for 3 years whereas Chelsea were led by Eto and Mata. Chelsea then brought on Ba Arsenal Park!

Maybe I'm like the battered wife whose husband brings her home flowers and she thinks he can change but I think this year can be different.......
#newbridgeornowhere

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 30, 2013, 07:19:33 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 29, 2013, 11:42:43 PM
I hope you're right.

Bendtner was atrocious. Kyo offered nothing. Jenkinson second rate. It was just 2005-2013 all over again when meeting a decent side with world class-ish finishers and midfielders. Chelsea/Mourinho were very comfortable letting Arsenal tippy-tap.

That Chelsea team cost 250m and had 690 International caps,. You alluded to the chasm earlier yet still expect Arsenal to compete even though their attack was led by a guy they've been trying to get rid off for 3 years whereas Chelsea were led by Eto and Mata. Chelsea then brought on Ba Arsenal Park!

Maybe I'm like the battered wife whose husband brings her home flowers and she thinks he can change but I think this year can be different.......

You do know whoyou sound like..... :P

Dinny Breen

Pretty comfortable.

2 Draws next 2 games will be good but Arsenal are better away from home so you never know.
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 02, 2013, 07:49:55 PM
Pretty comfortable.

2 Draws next 2 games will be good but Arsenal are better away from home so you never know.

Yea but they are not getting good results against teams above them in the League lately.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 02, 2013, 07:49:55 PM
Pretty comfortable.

Indeed. Liverpool were fairly mediocre outside of Suarez. I see Dortmund won 6-1 on Friday. These next two games are the litmus test as in whether Le Arse are a better side than last year.

No word on the injury boys?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Szczesny,
Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs,
Arteta, Ramsey,
Rosicky, Ozil, Cazorla,
Giroud

Weidenfeller,
Grosskreutz, Subotic, Papastathopoulos, Schmelzer;
Bender, Sahin;
Blaszczykowski, Mkhitaryan, Reus;
Lewandowski.

trileacman

Very strong midfield but that back 5 aren't really up to it. Giroud may prove to be a star but that rearguard is distinctly average.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Walter Cronc

Quote from: trileacman on November 06, 2013, 07:33:24 PM
Very strong midfield but that back 5 aren't really up to it. Giroud may prove to be a star but that rearguard is distinctly average.

With the second best defensive record last season and a good start this season they are doing ok I think!!

This media obsession about Arsenals defense is complete pap.

ONeill

Brilliant performances from Mertesecker and Giroud. Ramsey et al will get the plaudits but those two at either end were the crucial battering rams tonight. Giroud must be hateful to mark - never shirks his duties and as strong as an ox.

Main Street

Superbly set up by Wenger, outwitting the other anorak freak. Arsenal took complete control of the game after scoring that goal and had Dortmund playing the game they don't like playing - breaking the other team down and just ended up lumping balls into the box.

ONeill

I don't think they were set up particularly different from any other game recently. The difference this time was that they were forced to show more defensive qualities as the game progressed because of how good Dortmund were when Arsenal had the ball or tried to play their passing game. Ozil was dispossessed umpteen times as Giroud was being hounded when he got any service. The meant that was ball was being overturned and Ramsey, Rosicky and Cazorla were stopped in their tracks before they could really push up. Dortmund's hounding was first class but ran out of steam.

The CBs had their best game as a partnership and I was surprised to see Dortmund play to Mertesecker's strengths with the repeated crossing from early on although they nearly scored three times in the first half. Arsenal rode their luck especially with the 1-on-1 miss but sometimes it falls for you. I thought the sides were well matched over the two legs.

Hard to see how Theo will start. Rosicky has worked his arse off recently. Cazorla, Ozil and Ramsey are undroppable if fit. Even Wilshere will struggle to find a start in a full strength side. Flamini will come in for Rosicky probably.

Giroud is the unsung hero and you just hope he remains healthy.

belleaqua

Quote from: ONeill on November 07, 2013, 12:13:58 AM
I don't think they were set up particularly different from any other game recently. The difference this time was that they were forced to show more defensive qualities as the game progressed because of how good Dortmund were when Arsenal had the ball or tried to play their passing game. Ozil was dispossessed umpteen times as Giroud was being hounded when he got any service. The meant that was ball was being overturned and Ramsey, Rosicky and Cazorla were stopped in their tracks before they could really push up. Dortmund's hounding was first class but ran out of steam.

The CBs had their best game as a partnership and I was surprised to see Dortmund play to Mertesecker's strengths with the repeated crossing from early on although they nearly scored three times in the first half. Arsenal rode their luck especially with the 1-on-1 miss but sometimes it falls for you. I thought the sides were well matched over the two legs.

Hard to see how Theo will start. Rosicky has worked his arse off recently. Cazorla, Ozil and Ramsey are undroppable if fit. Even Wilshere will struggle to find a start in a full strength side. Flamini will come in for Rosicky probably.

Giroud is the unsung hero and you just hope he remains healthy.

Jeez I don't know about that. He offers a constant threat and some balance to this side. While things have been going great I think a Mourinho or maybe even Moyes on Sunday knows how to shut this team down. Teams will pack the middle and hit us on the counter. Walcott prevents that. I am actually fearful we will miss him badly on Sunday despite his frustrations.

I also think Ozil will make a hero out of him with through balls, etc.

Billys Boots

Fascinating game last night - two strong teams that play to their own strengths and both mugged at home.  The group is going to the the wire, with Dortmund in trouble now, though I could see them beating Napoli. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

QuoteI think a Mourinho or maybe even Moyes on Sunday knows how to shut this team down. Teams will pack the middle and hit us on the counter

That the same David Moyes who had only 3 wins against Arsenal in 13 years with Everton? Moyes is no tactical genius, gets teams organised but seems to have little flexibility in his approach. Also think people are looking too much into that COC defeat.

Man United will have to attack Arsenal and Arsenal are much better now when they don't have the ball compared to previous years, Arsenal will be comfortable with Man United's long ball and they lack creativity in midfield. If Arsenal minimize the defensive error count they have a good chance of winning this and would be quite confident of the draw at least.
#newbridgeornowhere