Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 05, 2013, 12:11:16 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 05, 2013, 12:05:47 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2013, 11:50:59 AM
Germany, a football nation was in despair at the news that their most cherished player was forced to leave the Galactico Real Madrid and sent to coventry or in this case Arsenal.

There was a time when a wisecrack about what a German player's father might have done to Coventry would have worked. In the case of Mesut Özil though, not so much.

There used to be a similar chant at Maine Rd, back in the day, something to do with Uwe Rossler's Da bombing various opponents towns - incidentally, Mr. Rossler is now manager of Brentford FC.
I forgot, this is the Arsenal thread ::) where occasional intellect deficit outbreaks,
where getting 'sent to coventry', that well known phrase, gets confused with being a wisecrack about 'what a German player's father might have done to Coventry', even though there's absolutely no context for the confusion.

deiseach

Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2013, 02:23:57 PM
I forgot, this is the Arsenal thread ::) where occasional intellect deficit outbreaks,
where getting 'sent to coventry', that well known phrase, gets confused with being a wisecrack about 'what a German player's father might have done to Coventry', even though there's absolutely no context for the confusion.

Hmm. Looking back on it, I can see why you might think that I thought you were making a (failed) wisecrack. I can assure you I did not. I was using your point to make a general point about associating Germans with the city of Coventry and how that association is breaking down in these multicultural days. Apologies for the confusion.

ONeill

Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2013, 02:23:57 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on September 05, 2013, 12:11:16 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 05, 2013, 12:05:47 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2013, 11:50:59 AM
Germany, a football nation was in despair at the news that their most cherished player was forced to leave the Galactico Real Madrid and sent to coventry or in this case Arsenal.

There was a time when a wisecrack about what a German player's father might have done to Coventry would have worked. In the case of Mesut Özil though, not so much.

There used to be a similar chant at Maine Rd, back in the day, something to do with Uwe Rossler's Da bombing various opponents towns - incidentally, Mr. Rossler is now manager of Brentford FC.

Why do you hate the world?

You need love. We give you love.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Walcott is slowly being surrounded by better players. It took Van Persie four years to work out where his passes were heading. Giroud is ahead of schedule.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ONeill

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ONeill

ONeill

Bit crap having nothing to complain about. Top of the league. Giroud scoring. World class midfielder. Champions' League on horizon.

The women's team have been slipping this year. Sort it out FFS.

rodney trotter

Very tough CL group for Arsenal though. Dortmund no doubt, and Napoli with an impressive looking Squad.

ONeill

Yep - toughest in yonks. The squad is v thin at the minute too so no resting opportunities either.

rodney trotter

Say a few Hail Marys Giroud stays fit,. Don't know why they didn't bring in a forward with Podolski out. Plus a centre back.