Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Unlike most Arsenal supporters (I think) I bear no ill-will against Van Persie. At his stage in his career he was correct to go seek silverware that his talent deserves. He was at Arsenal for 7-8 years, albeit injured for a lot of it. I was happy to see him get his medal and play so well. Envious but not angry.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: muppet on April 23, 2013, 02:29:11 PM
Quote from: front of the mountain on April 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
What do the Gunners & Ryan Giggs have in common???

Ans: Same amount of league titles......:)

Both scored with a late ball to Thomas.

Oh come on, I thought that was actually a good one. Have any of you an Imogenation?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

No laughing in the library please.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on April 27, 2013, 08:50:53 PM
No laughing in the library please.

Sorry Professor, won't happen again.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2013, 08:45:25 PM

Oh come on, I thought that was actually a good one. Have any of you an Imogenation?

It gave me a wry smile.

As for RVP - I don't believe players leave looking for silverware I think that is always a smoke screen like in any job you leave for more money. That's why I would respect Steven Gerrard more than RVP, Nasri or any player who proclaims he's leaving for the trophies. All bullshit they leave for the fat wedge that lines their and their agents pockets.

RVP great player but just another mercenary to me same as 99% of footballers.
#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 27, 2013, 08:56:58 PM

It gave me a wry smile.

As for RVP - I don't believe players leave looking for silverware I think that is always a smoke screen like in any job you leave for more money. That's why I would respect Steven Gerrard more than RVP, Nasri or any player who proclaims he's leaving for the trophies. All bullshit they leave for the fat wedge that lines their and their agents pockets.

Yeah, I say their ego get a rap on the knuckles when these players meet up with other players during the international breaks. You can imagine rooming with a player with less ability than yourself and him talking about winning, it would have to affect you?

Main Street

It gave me a wry smile.

I think you are lacking some thought process Dinny.
Though I don't know what his financial gain was, I'd say Van Persie left Arsenal for the chance of winning some medals and will also gladly take the financial renumeration that his talent is currently paid by such a club as Man U.
If it was just about money, do you think he would have left Arsenal to  sign a 4 year deal with some billionaire japanese team that offered him twice the money he would get from joining ManU?
That's a hypothetical question of course, but if the answer to that is no  then we can say that the fat wedge is not everything, it's a part of the equation, the other part is competition with the best team in the country.

muppet

Of course he is a mercenary, otherwise he would have never left Excelsior.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2013, 09:28:43 PM

It gave me a wry smile.

I think you are lacking some thought process Dinny.
Though I don't know what his financial gain was, I'd say Van Persie left Arsenal for the chance of winning some medals and will also gladly take the financial renumeration that his talent is currently paid by such a club as Man U.
If it was just about money, do you think he would have left Arsenal to  sign a 4 year deal with some billionaire japanese team that offered him twice the money he would get from joining ManU?
That's a hypothetical question of course, but if the answer to that is no  then we can say that the fat wedge is not everything, it's a part of the equation, the other part is competition with the best team in the country.

You are been romantic - his deal is worth in the region of £200k  a week plus a 10m loyalty bonus. Arsenal were offering in the region of £130k a week. It was a no brainer and nothing to do with trophies that was just an added bonus.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

It gave me a wry smile.

Don't agree. Could've done a Beckham.

I'm sure RVP looked around him last season and saw Walcott, Chamakh et al and thought what the hell. The squad was weakening year on year since he won the cup in 2005. VP wanted proven world class talent in the squad. Wenger couldn't/wouldn't guarantee that. He deserved an arena like Old Trafford.

As for being a mercenary - he's Dutch - not born and bred in Islington.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ONeill on April 27, 2013, 10:00:00 PM

It gave me a wry smile.

I'm sure RVP looked around him last season and saw Walcott, Chamakh et al and thought what the hell. The squad was weakening year on year since he won the cup in 2005. VP wanted proven world class talent in the squad. Wenger couldn't/wouldn't guarantee that. He deserved an arena like Old Trafford.

That's my point 99% are mercenaries and they all follow the money. Talking about trophies is just romantic bullshit imho.
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 27, 2013, 10:07:59 PM

It gave me a wry smile.

That's my point 99% are mercenaries and they all follow the money. Talking about trophies is just romantic bullshit imho.

Compare Shearer and Andy Cole.

Does the number of trophies won matter?
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2013, 10:12:31 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 27, 2013, 10:07:59 PM

It gave me a wry smile.

Compare Shearer and Andy Cole.

Does the number of trophies won matter?

Shearer signed for Southampton as a kid and then followed the money to Blackburn (could have signed for Man U but less money) and won one league title before following the money to Newcastle.

Cole signed for Arsenal as kid, didn't work out and joined Bristol, did well and followed the money to Newcastle and then Man U, won a heap of trophies. Maximised his revenue potential in latter years as moved from club to club.

Shearer was the better player, Cole won more trophies. Not sure what point you are making to be honest.

If RVP was offered the same money at Arsenal as Man U were offering and still moved well then yea he moved to win trophies but he wasn't and he didn't.
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

I should have been clearer.

It doesn't matter that Cole won more than Shearer.

The only things that matter are how much money they have and the more intangible, how they are regarded.

Shearer probably wins on both counts, if that is the case then trophies don't matter.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2013, 10:26:35 PM
I should have been clearer.

It doesn't matter that Cole won more than Shearer.

The only things that matter are how much money they have and the more intangible, how they are regarded.

Shearer probably wins on both counts, if that is the case then trophies don't matter.

I get you, yea same page.

Trophies mean more to fans than players, a sad reality.
#newbridgeornowhere