Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: gerry on September 17, 2011, 09:22:42 PM
Quote from: gerry on September 17, 2011, 08:03:19 PM
I wonder is cesc missing us tonight. There 5 up at half time

Barcelona beat Osasuna 8-0 and had more than 80% possession.

Where's the craic in that?
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Exactly Dinny. It's just a new phase. I've experienced the Don Howe era of being a Villa/Everton. Then the George Graham ultra defensive but successful phase. After that was the Houston/Rioch stint which was a sort of limbo. Even Arsene's era has been up and down. 99/00 - 00/01 was trying at times.

We're now entering a period of mediocrity. It might last a month or maybe 2 years. Let's ride the wave baby.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gawa316

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 17, 2011, 09:24:19 PM
Quote from: gerry on September 17, 2011, 09:22:42 PM
Quote from: gerry on September 17, 2011, 08:03:19 PM
I wonder is cesc missing us tonight. There 5 up at half time

Barcelona beat Osasuna 8-0 and had more than 80% possession.

Where's the craic in that?

Would it have been good craic if Osasuna scored twice?!

ONeill

Although I'd disagree with you Dinny about ability. There's a lot of shite floating about in that defence.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on September 17, 2011, 10:20:13 PM
Although I'd disagree with you Dinny about ability. There's a lot of shite floating about in that defence.

I watched  first half hour and though Arsenal were gonna beat them out the gate.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

muppet

Quote from: gawa316 on September 17, 2011, 10:18:03 PM
Would it have been good craic if Osasuna scored twice?!

Can he play CB?
MWWSI 2017

Orangemac

Quote from: tyroneman on September 17, 2011, 09:02:25 PM
The fact that arsenal were in pole position to buy Phil Jones before Man U and let him drift away for the want of a few extra quid is unreal. Same for Mata.

Instead they end up with the c list  Fabregas and a bunch of others who may or may not make the grade in the long run but certainly look like damn all so far.

Expect to see RVP out the door in August 2012.
Arsenal and United were both interested in Jones, Smalling and Chamberlain. Guess which one Arsenal wanted the most?

Wenger should have brought in Given, Scott Parker and Haangeland/Jagielka with the money he had. There is no leadership/backbone in this team. When you look back at Wengers 15 years at Arsenal he has signed very few good defenders, he inherited the backbone of Seaman, Dixon, Keown, Adams and Ashley Cole came through the ranks.

As for Gervinho was he signed as Wenger neeed a headless chicken on the left to balance the headless chicken that is Walcott on the right?

Dinny Breen

Arsenal Record Since Carling Cup Loss

P16 W3 D7 L6 F21 A30 GD -9 Pts 16

7.72% — Conversion rate (goals/shots) in those 16 games
16.67% — Defensive conversion rate (goals allowed/opposition shot on goal) in those 16 games
12.77% – Manchester United conversion rate 2010-2011
8.03% — Manchester United defensive conversion rate 2010-2011

I think I will take my head out of the sand as there is now obviously, even to the most myopic of Arsenal fans, something fundamentally wrong at Arsenal football club there is a malaise there that extends beyond just the defensive short-comings. Alas as much as I want Wenger to be the man to get Arsenal out of the mess they are in I just don't believe he can do it on his own. Decisions need to be made, not rash decisions but measured decisions to demonstrate to the Arsenal fans that the club aren't going mad because the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results which exactly what Arsenal have done over the last 4/5 years.

#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

muppet

Well the Gaa season over till next year so I can return to Arsenal till at least the end of the League.

So how are we doing so far? Comfortable top 4 or realistic challengers this year?
MWWSI 2017

Orangemac

Quote from: muppet on September 18, 2011, 08:37:50 PM
Well the Gaa season over till next year so I can return to Arsenal till at least the end of the League.

So how are we doing so far? Comfortable top 4 or realistic challengers this year?
Lets just say you may be looking at page 2 on Ceefax for a while.

ONeill

Going great guns. Scored 2 goals up at Old Trafford and even missed a penalty. Scored 5 goals up in Blackburn. Arsene has unearthed another Walcott in Gervinho and Wilshere/Vermaelan have been getting a great rest.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on September 18, 2011, 11:02:02 PM

Going great guns. Scored 2 goals up at Old Trafford and even missed a penalty. Scored 5 goals up in Blackburn. Arsene has unearthed another Walcott in Gervinho and Wilshere/Vermaelan have been getting a great rest.

Cool.

How are Samir and Cesc playing?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Cesc has been in rampant form and won 3 trophies for his efforts and Samir has been assisting like no tomorrow. Bendtner getting some gametime and Denilson has developed a nasty edge. Eboue missing.

ross4life

Has O'Neill,Dinny Breen swapped roles as Arsenal's negative,positive supporters?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open