Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

He'd buy a 15-year old one from Lyon.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

I hear Fabregas is leaving Arsenal for Barca.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 14, 2011, 11:49:16 PM

Are you stupid Arsenal don't sell their best players  >:(
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 14, 2011, 11:49:16 PM

Balls. He has a contract.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Billys Boots

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but that was disgraceful carry-on by Barton on Saturday. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 15, 2011, 10:41:43 AM
I know I shouldn't be surprised, but that was disgraceful carry-on by Barton on Saturday.

He's an idiot and if he was a foreign player he'd be hung out to dry but because he is the latest media TWITter darling his actions were conveniently by-passed.

The media in England have turned the EPL into a soap opera, it really is becoming impossible to sit down enjoy a bit of escapism without some idiot pundit or journalist talking uninformed balderdash telling you what you should think.
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 15, 2011, 10:58:01 AM

He's an idiot and if he was a foreign player he'd be hung out to dry but because he is the latest media TWITter darling his actions were conveniently by-passed.

The media in England have turned the EPL into a soap opera, it really is becoming impossible to sit down enjoy a bit of escapism without some idiot pundit or journalist talking uninformed balderdash telling you what you should think.

No disagreement there Dinny; what surprised me was that the ref decided to send off Gervinho and only gave a yellow to Barton.  Gervinho went down (a bit easily) in the box, Barton ran over screaming at him, grabbed him and started pushing him around, other players intervene to calm matters down, then Barton takes a dive.  I'm not sure what positioning the officials had, but the ref seems to have 'bought' the Barton dive and sent Gervinho off.  He then had a chat with the officials and gave Barton a yellow.  Personally, I'm at a loss as to how he came to those decisions - if he was going to send Gervinho off (presumably for 'striking'), then would the equitable thing not have been to dismiss Barton for 'ungentlemanly conduct'?  Though I suppose if he'd been applying that rule, Barton would have been sent off prior to kick-off.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Bingo

Will Wenger bite the bullet and spend big, you'd have to imagine he should be after the likes of Sneijder, Mata, Cahill at the very least, but rarely do Arsenal even be linked with these time of players. Its all been well documented before about his strategy and eye for a player that will fit Arsenal but surely its time to act now.

As a few others have pointed out, he's now under fierce pressure and might not last the season. Luckily Udinese aren't the team they were last year, but neither are Arsenal.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 15, 2011, 11:58:13 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 15, 2011, 10:58:01 AM

No disagreement there Dinny; what surprised me was that the ref decided to send off Gervinho and only gave a yellow to Barton.  Gervinho went down (a bit easily) in the box, Barton ran over screaming at him, grabbed him and started pushing him around, other players intervene to calm matters down, then Barton takes a dive.  I'm not sure what positioning the officials had, but the ref seems to have 'bought' the Barton dive and sent Gervinho off.  He then had a chat with the officials and gave Barton a yellow.  Personally, I'm at a loss as to how he came to those decisions - if he was going to send Gervinho off (presumably for 'striking'), then would the equitable thing not have been to dismiss Barton for 'ungentlemanly conduct'?  Though I suppose if he'd been applying that rule, Barton would have been sent off prior to kick-off.

It was the easy thing to do and send off Gervinho, there was contact but not enough to merit a penalty but Barton man-handled him when the ball was in play, that was a penalty. Barton's profile saved him.

Then again Song should have been sent off for his stupid stamp, so Arsenal will now face Liverpool and Man United without those 2 available.

I miss the days when league tables weren't published until September....

#newbridgeornowhere

Boycey

Any of you good Arsenal folk point me in the direction of 2 tickets for home game with Swansea on the 10th September (I think).

spiritof91and94

fabregas signs for barca - now the breking news is eboue is in talks with galatasary - talk about Black Monday ;)

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on August 15, 2011, 02:51:31 PM
fabregas signs for barca - now the breking news is eboue is in talks with galatasary - talk about Black Monday ;)

Racist.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Forever Green

Really Arsenal are fucked if they lose Nasri. With the money going to be coming in from both deals, ideal players for Arsenal would be Scott Dann, Gary Cahill, Scott Parker and Kevin Doyle. Was going to say Barton as well but you lads wouldn't be too happy about that. Two decent wingers are needed as well. Lukasz Podolski can easily play in that position and Lavezzi from Napoli would be class as well.
Dann-10 milion
Cahill-20 million
Parker-season loan
Doyle0-11 million
Podolski-10 million
Lavezzi-15 million

Wenger really needs to spend the cash this summer because it they lose out on CL football, they wont be able to attract big name players anymore. With the new signings this should be the team:

Sochjezny

Sagna
Dann
Cahill
Vermaelan

Parker
Wiltshire

Lavezzi
Van Persie
Podolski

Doyle

Puckoon

Does anyone feel like we got raped a bit when you see the breakdown of the transfer fees?

AZOffaly

I think when a player makes it public knowledge that he wants to go, you're always going to get shafted as a club, in terms of market value. The extent of the shafting depends on how much you stick to your guns and are prepared to let him rot in the stands.

Arsenal did a reasonable job, over 12 months, but that shit would wear you down.