Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

Getting easily robbed of the ball. 30 minutes in no goals and two yellow cards. Some change from this game last season.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

gerry

Chez looks good in goal but I was waiting for him to mess it up when he came out of his box.

Puckoon

Mighty stuff. There's a spirit here hopefully thus year.

We still want Barton on a free?

gerry

Shrewdness

Even though i'm a United fan, i'm going to make a prediction here now that is sure to incur the wrath of you Arsenal fans.

I believe that Arsene Wenger will leave Arsenal BEFORE this new season ends.

He has backed himself into a corner, and the end is near.
Arsenal's failure to win a trophy since 2005 is well documented...I believe he has handled the Fabregas/Nasri situations very badly. The dogs on the street knew since the end of last season that both players wanted out of Arsenal this summer.Instead of dealing with the issue head on, Wenger buried his head in the sand, and indulged himself in some fantasy world where both players would stay.
He has allowed both situations to drift, maybe to get more money, but mainly in the hope that one or both of them would stay.
Anyone knows that unhappy players leave a club sooner rather than later.

Now what happens. Both players are on the verge of leaving, the new season has already started, the transfer deadline is looming large, the heart has been ripped out of the Arsenal midfield, and Arsenal have not bought anyone to replace them, and are fast running out of time to do so.
A man of Wenger's experience should have handled this better. He will now be under huge pressure from Arsenal fans to deliver. How he has failed to buy a central defender this summer is unbelivable...Imagine the clamour for his head if Arsenal get knocked out by Udinese.

I'm afraid that the Wenger project at Arsenal is about to implode.I believe he won't see out the season, probably resigning rather than being sacked.
With Clichy, Fabregas and Nasri either gone or going, how long before Van Persie follows.

Taxi for Wenger :'(

ONeill

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 14, 2011, 08:36:50 AM
Even though i'm a United fan, i'm going to make a prediction here now that is sure to incur the wrath of you Arsenal fans.

We're not that type around here!

I was thinking along the same lines yesterday. If things went pear-shaped against Udinese and by November Arsenal were mid-table, would the previously unsackable Wenger be in danger by the twitchy owner?

Arsene will still produce good football and Arsenal have one hell of a record reaching the CL. Even last year they were fighting well on 4 fronts in February and beat Barcelona at home. But, as you say, his interviews and press conferences are bewildering now and, I have to admit, annoying. His proclamations are empty and without any value at times - on Friday he said no one was leaving and three hours later Cesc was packaged up.

Although defensively they were never troubled yesterday, it was Newcastle after all (forget about the 4 last year) and it just takes for one to be injured and all hell breaks loose. In midfield Ramsey and Wilshere will form a nice partnership, as talented as any, and Arshavin, Rosicky and Walcott (sporadically) have a bit of creativity about them. Song (I know some don't) I like in that Gilberto role. It's actually up front I'm concerned. RVP isn't an out and out striker and will break down for 10 games at some stage. Gervinho looks more of an attacking wide player. Arsenal have no one who'll get their head on a fine cross - sometimes there'll be no one in the box at all as VP found out yesterday twice when he crossed it. They've no lightening paced predator - it's a pity Eduardo or Vela didn't work out.

To answer your post, yes, there's a possibility that this could be Arsene's last season unless he pulls a rabbit out of the hat.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: ONeill on August 14, 2011, 11:24:37 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on August 14, 2011, 08:36:50 AM

We're not that type around here!

I was thinking along the same lines yesterday. If things went pear-shaped against Udinese and by November Arsenal were mid-table, would the previously unsackable Wenger be in danger by the twitchy owner?

Arsene will still produce good football and Arsenal have one hell of a record reaching the CL. Even last year they were fighting well on 4 fronts in February and beat Barcelona at home. But, as you say, his interviews and press conferences are bewildering now and, I have to admit, annoying. His proclamations are empty and without any value at times - on Friday he said no one was leaving and three hours later Cesc was packaged up.

Although defensively they were never troubled yesterday, it was Newcastle after all (forget about the 4 last year) and it just takes for one to be injured and all hell breaks loose. In midfield Ramsey and Wilshere will form a nice partnership, as talented as any, and Arshavin, Rosicky and Walcott (sporadically) have a bit of creativity about them. Song (I know some don't) I like in that Gilberto role. It's actually up front I'm concerned. RVP isn't an out and out striker and will break down for 10 games at some stage. Gervinho looks more of an attacking wide player. Arsenal have no one who'll get their head on a fine cross - sometimes there'll be no one in the box at all as VP found out yesterday twice when he crossed it. They've no lightening paced predator - it's a pity Eduardo or Vela didn't work out.

To answer your post, yes, there's a possibility that this could be Arsene's last season unless he pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

if this happens, he maybe wont see the end of august never mind the end of the season !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Dinny Breen

Arsenal have had only 16 managers in 100 years, the culture of Arsenal football club means Arsene Wenger will never be fired. He might resign and considering the nature of the agenda setting modern media who would blame him.

The media reporting of Arsenal is very unbalanced and often they will try and create a story where none exists.

Unless you are privy to the meetings between Wenger and Gazidis no one has one iota surrounding the financial constraints the new stadium has places on Wenger particular as Arsenal are committed to paying off that stadium as quickly as possible.

The short term view taken by many and driven by a sensationalist media is quite frankly annoying. Arsenal will be competitive this season, our failings I firmly believe will be addressed before the transfer window end.

Transfer talk is all  about games, Arsenal's stance on Fabregas and Nasri has insured they get the best price, the actual valuation of Fabregas is interesting because Barce placed a sell on clause on him when he joined Arsenal so he real price is probably 40m + and if they get 22m for Nasri (1 year left on his contract), again good business.

In nutshell Arsenal will be fine, Wenger will still be there next year in some capacity and Arsenal will win the EPL sometime in the next 5 years once the stadium debt has been paid off. 

Wenger is planning Arsenal's future, some people want that future now but you can't bring the future to the present. That's what people need to understand.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Dinny, I never thought I'd see the day when Wenger's interviews were starting to annoy me. No big deal in terms of AFC as a club and interviews are pointless I suppose but his myopia is out of control. An example was when he tried to claim that Song did nothing wrong yesterday. This 'mental strength' mantra is simply hollow.

Quoteour failings I firmly believe will be addressed before the transfer window end.

And if not....?

Dinny Breen

His comments on Friday we tongue in cheek and amusing I thought.

His interviews have also annoyed me from his myopia to his honesty but then every EPL's managers interviews annoy me.

I suppose we'll wait and see on the transfers, we could be here all day speculating a bit like discussing why John Terry and Vidic never seem to get penalties given against them.

#newbridgeornowhere

gawa316

Who on earth would you bring in that is going to do any better?

One of the best managers about, I'd be sticking with him

ONeill

If the money's not there, then you're right - no one will do better.

If the money is there then he could be doing a lot better.

gerry

well that it done then

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger said: "We have been clear that we didn't want Cesc to leave and that remains the case. However, we understand Cesc's desire to move to his home town club and have now accepted an offer from Barcelona. We thank Cesc for his contribution at Arsenal and wish him future success."

Orangemac

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 14, 2011, 01:18:50 PM
Unless you are privy to the meetings between Wenger and Gazidis no one has one iota surrounding the financial constraints the new stadium has places on Wenger particular as Arsenal are committed to paying off that stadium as quickly as possible.

In nutshell Arsenal will be fine, Wenger will still be there next year in some capacity and Arsenal will win the EPL sometime in the next 5 years once the stadium debt has been paid off. 
If funds are limited at Arsenal, why consistently say they have money to spend which puts pressure on Wenger when he doesn't spend it?

It makes sense that they want to pay off the debt but without some investment in the team qualifying for the CL which would be a crucial source of income will get harder.

Look at Arsenals bench yesterday, a squad in serious need of strengthening.

Subs: Frimpong,Djourou, Walcott, Fabianski, Oxdale-Chamberlain, Jenkinson, Chamakh.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ONeill on August 14, 2011, 11:32:37 PM
Some putt by Bradley. from 5 in it to 1.

If only Bradley would spend some cash on a decent putter!!!
#newbridgeornowhere