Eir Sport to show live club GAA from May 2017

Started by GalwayBayBoy, March 23, 2017, 04:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

TG4 coverage not affected thankfully.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/major-boost-for-club-championships-as-eir-sport-announce-rights-1.3021776

There will be an additional 30 club games broadcast live on television this year, with eir Sport beginning their coverage of the AIB Club Championships from May 2017.

The Irish pay per view channel announced on Thursday that they have secured rights to broadcast live hurling and football club championship games for the next five years. This will be the first time eir Sport, formerly Setanta Sports, will broadcast club games.

The first game to be covered is due some time in May, with a press release containing further details of the games being covered to be released in advance of that.

The deal will not affect TG4's long-standing coverage of the club championships, with eir Sport offering an alternative fixture during the county championships, and the early rounds of the provincial championships, in particular.

Therefore the 30 matches will largely be made up of the best of the games that TG4 do not cover on whatever given weekend. Increasing the number of county finals and other big club games to be aired live on television. An exciting boost for the club player and championships.

Glen Killane, marketing director of eir TV and Sport said that the annoucnemnt will significantly expand the number of games fans can watch on TV and mobile.

"These are matches that haven't previously been shown, and we are delighted to open them up to a wider audience.

"We will show some big clashes within the AIB GAA Club Championships while broadcasting from parts of the country that the cameras don't often visit.

"This will bring eir Sport into the heart of communities all over the country, bringing local stories to life.

Croí na hÉireann

So will they have matches on Sundays as well as TG4 or will they be looking for club championship games to be played on Saturday nights?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Taylor

TG4 coverage puts RTE coverage into the shade and shows what can be done if a broadcaster gives a shite about the game.

Lets hope Eir Sport can do likewise

rosnarun

how would it not affect TG4 . at the moment they have free choice of games now will have to share with EIR.
who will get first choice ?
on another note I think we have to accept that pay TV is here to stay but could the GAA be lobbied to ensure that only one Pay channel gets all the games to save viewers having to get both channels ?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: rosnarun on March 23, 2017, 04:35:08 PM
how would it not affect TG4 . at the moment they have free choice of games now will have to share with EIR.
on another note I think we have to accept that pay TV is here to stay but could the GAA be lobbied to ensure that only one Pay channel gets all the games to save viewers having to get both channels ?

TG4 get to keep the games they are currently broadcasting and I presume get first pick of games they wish to show. What is unclear is when Eir Sport get to show their selection, i.e. can they broadcast on Sunday afternoons as well.

You are 100% right of the ludicrousness of having contracts with different subscription channels. At worst there should be only one contract with a subscription channel. Further evidence of the disconnect of the bean counters.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

twohands!!!

Only a matter of time before the GAA set up their own online channel.

When you consider the amount of content the GAA create it's close to a no-brainer.

armaghniac

Pay per view TV is one thing, subscription TV another, especially if not everyone can easily get it. Anyone should be able to pay for single game.

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 23, 2017, 05:29:33 PM
Only a matter of time before the GAA set up their own online channel.

Armagh TV has given us good service with coverage of Armagh club games, although their payment mechanism is a bit dodgy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

shark

The likes of periscope has changed the game. I watched the Donegal - Tyrone game last night from Norway - on Facebook! The quality was not amazing, but it was good enough. Technology will keep improving, we won't need the likes of RTE soon enough.

imtommygunn

Does anyone know a uk number for eirsport so it can be cancelled from sky?? No working uk number that i can find and they even sent me one that didn't work!

rodney trotter

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 23, 2017, 05:11:07 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on March 23, 2017, 04:35:08 PM

TG4 get to keep the games they are currently broadcasting and I presume get first pick of games they wish to show. What is unclear is when Eir Sport get to show their selection, i.e. can they broadcast on Sunday afternoons as well.

You are 100% right of the ludicrousness of having contracts with different subscription channels. At worst there should be only one contract with a subscription channel. Further evidence of the disconnect of the bean counters.

Doesn't really affect TG4, since they don't start showing the Club finals until October. It says in the Independent today, Eirsport will be showing Club Championship games from May on Friday nights and Sunday evenings. The Dublin and Donegal Club Championships being mentioned as the first couple of games to be shown in May.

criostlinn

Eirsport gonna have a tough job deciding who to show between May and the start of the Dublin Championship in late September

Syferus

Quote from: criostlinn on March 24, 2017, 01:30:40 PM
Eirsport gonna have a tough job deciding who to show between May and the start of the Dublin Championship in late September

The Dublin championship begins in April..

Tony Baloney