Tyrone Club Fixtures

Started by blewuporstuffed, October 11, 2016, 12:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

I would agree with this.
There may not be a 'designated holiday period' but there would still be free weekends where tyrone are playing and there will def be no club games.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nobodyknows

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 11, 2016, 02:08:21 PM
Quote from: Legoman5 on October 11, 2016, 01:59:51 PM
Yous obv arent players if you wana scrap the holiday period!

I'm not.

However I know loads of players who don't take their hols in that period.

Whats your suggestion?

The Holiday period coincides with the construction holidays and i imagine this is probably the largest employment sector for players. Therefore if they dont take holidays in this period its difficult for them to get time off at other times of the year. 

W.A.G. Lover

I would propose 2 Scenarios for Senior Football:
Scenario 1.) Return to 4 Leagues of 12 Teams. Each team plays 11 games at home and 11 away from home. Starred Fixtures would be scrapped, with County Players playing in a minimum of 11 games, playing each team at least once. This provides the average Club Player with more League Football, whilst also assuring the County Player of still playing the minimum 10/11 games as currently.
Scenario 2.) Keep current Format. Play each team in your league once, with 15 League games for each Club, and 5 of which are starred. Doesn't eliminate any of the current problems for the Club Plyer. Possibly reintroduce the League Cups, but teams also loss interest in these with no effect on League or Championship.

For Reserve Football, I would propose splitting the connection between Senior & Reserves. Teams would begin the 2017 campaign based on their Standing from the 2016 Season. Fixtures would be standalone on a separate evening (Possibly Fridays, with Seniors on Saturday/Sunday). Reserve teams could then be promoted/relegated depending on their own performances and not Seniors. This would alleviate a lot of hammerings in Reserve football. And, may also keep young lads interested. Plus, have the League wrapped up by August to begin Championship. Team for Championship could not involve anyone who played the Previous Senior Championship. Reserve League Squad also determined by previous Senior Campaign or Senior League Games that current Season. Possible Separate East/West Leagues with Winners of each side to meet in Division 1/2/3 Finals?

blewuporstuffed

What are the main issues (if any) of playing the league in full before the championship is played?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

The Trap

The only issue I would see with playing off the league in full before the championship would be then having to wait for the play offs (very tough on teams that exit the championship early and then have to wait) so to alleviate that I would scrap play-offs and just have promotion/relegation based on the league table at the end of 15 games.
I don't think any club would have any problem with the exit of the championship being their last game of the year!

Club boi

Quote from: The Trap on October 12, 2016, 11:22:32 AM
The only issue I would see with playing off the league in full before the championship would be then having to wait for the play offs (very tough on teams that exit the championship early and then have to wait) so to alleviate that I would scrap play-offs and just have promotion/relegation based on the league table at the end of 15 games.
I don't think any club would have any problem with the exit of the championship being their last game of the year!

100% Right

Scrap League Playoffs. You come top you deserve to win the league. Another County Board Money Spinner

Really enjoy this thread and it's clear to see most people have the same views that the league should be wrapped up before Championship begins

Also strongly believe Reserves should be played on a separate night/evening

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: The Trap on October 12, 2016, 11:22:32 AM
I would agree with that.
I think the main reasoning for the playoffs was that it gave more teams something to play for towards the end of the season , so there are less chance of 'arranged' results at the tail end of the season by teams with nothing to play for.
This would be unlikely to happen anyway if the clubs where still preparing for the championship.

redhandofgod

Would clubs still be asked to play 1/3rd of their league games without county players?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: redhandofgod on October 12, 2016, 11:35:08 AM
Would clubs still be asked to play 1/3rd of their league games without county players?
I think the starred game system is the only way to get games played during the county season

The Trap

With regard to reserves, if the league was played in full as we are saying in this thread, 15 games played in a schedule that everyone knows at the start of the year, followed by a championship in Aug/Sep then I could see no reason why reserve games would not be played before senior games as before (I always loved that concept when it worked right). Reserve championship could still take place a week after every first round championship game.
The only thing that could happen would be if Tyrone were in an All Ireland semi final/final and there were no club games for 6/8 weeks as the league would be finished. However all clubs could be training properly for a championship first round during that period knowing that the league was finished and all players (senior and reserve) would still have a big game to train for. Also everyone could really enjoy Tyrone being in the semi final/final as they know there is no chance of a game until they are out! This wouldn't happen every year but when it does everyone could get behind the county and the years it doesn't happen the championship would progress.

square_ball

Were the play offs not introduced as a way of off setting the damage of losing your county players for starred games? Play offs then allowed you to perhaps salvage your league season either by winning the league, getting promotion or avoiding relegation.

I would be in favour of playing all league games before championship with 3 up 3 down in each division and do away with play offs. Where county players and starred games come into this I'm not sure. The likes of Norf wouldn't be happy playing a lot of games without their star man while trying to get their way out of Division 3. Its not an easy solution to that problem for sure.

I like the idea of bringing back a Friday and Sunday set of fixtures once in the year and playing other games throughout the week. The fixtures would soon get cleared up this way.

To be fair the leagues were cruising along nicely this season in terms of fixtures played but as soon as championship comes around thats when the proverbial hits the fan and you are looking at the end of November before things get settled again which is ridiculous.

TabClear

Quote from: square_ball on October 12, 2016, 11:42:23 AM
Were the play offs not introduced as a way of off setting the damage of losing your county players for starred games? Play offs then allowed you to perhaps salvage your league season either by winning the league, getting promotion or avoiding relegation.

I would be in favour of playing all league games before championship with 3 up 3 down in each division and do away with play offs. Where county players and starred games come into this I'm not sure. The likes of Norf wouldn't be happy playing a lot of games without their star man while trying to get their way out of Division 3. Its not an easy solution to that problem for sure.

I like the idea of bringing back a Friday and Sunday set of fixtures once in the year and playing other games throughout the week. The fixtures would soon get cleared up this way.

To be fair the leagues were cruising along nicely this season in terms of fixtures played but as soon as championship comes around thats when the proverbial hits the fan and you are looking at the end of November before things get settled again which is ridiculous.

Unfortunately I think the playoffs have to remain for this reason.  While  I'm bit a fan of how they are  dragged out I think it is the lesser of two evils.   Not fair on clubs in the lower leagues where resources are stretched to be disadvantaged in such a large proportion of games.  With the likes of McShane  in div 3 whether he is playing or not completely changes how teams approach Owen Roes games and the odds.

Norf, how many league games did he miss this year? 

LeoMc

A few good ideas on here but until fixtures are sorted at a National level then it is only tinkering.

Cut out the break for the Sigerson weekend and scrap the National league semi-finals (and maybe finals?) and get the National league wrapped up 2-3 weeks earlier to allow club football to start.
Condense the provincial championships. It should not take 4 weeks to play 4 first round Ulster championship qualifiers. Play them all on 1 weekend and play the Ulster Championship off in a 7 week window. This will free a further 3-4 weeks up for clubs and they would be fixed windows not dependent upon the Ulster Championship draw.
Condense the All-Ireland championship, teams going through the qualifiers can play games every 2 weeks, The QF's, Semis and finals should be played off over the same spacing. There is another 3-4 weeks for club games.

Then, with the additional available weekends, even the most incompetent fixtures planner can get it right in every county.

blewuporstuffed

I agree with your general point , that the intercounty season is the crux of the problem, but in all reality that can only be fixed at national level.
I still think there are things we can do at club level that can improve the situation.
If things where to continue the way they were this season I would honestly fear for club football long term.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: TabClear on October 12, 2016, 12:34:49 PM
Quote from: square_ball on October 12, 2016, 11:42:23 AM

Unfortunately I think the playoffs have to remain for this reason.  While  I'm bit a fan of how they are  dragged out I think it is the lesser of two evils.   Not fair on clubs in the lower leagues where resources are stretched to be disadvantaged in such a large proportion of games.  With the likes of McShane  in div 3 whether he is playing or not completely changes how teams approach Owen Roes games and the odds.

Norf, how many league games did he miss this year?

A few things.

Norf is NEVER happy.

Who is our 'star man'? All our players, and members are stars.   :)

According to what I can mind he missed 3 games, although I was sure it was 4.

The three games he missed we won them all scoring 4-11, 4-20 and 2-11.

Would the issue with rattling the league off pre Cship be that if Tyrone have a decent run you could see the Championship delayed til Sept/ Oct time and then potentially the rushed Championship.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone