Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawhide

We beat St Colemans again today in a cracking game, in Mac Rory league section. Although in all  likelihood, it will no effect after Xmas. 
cccc is a true supporter lol

Orior

Quote from: Rawhide on November 23, 2013, 04:59:07 PM
We beat St Colemans again today in a cracking game in Mac Rory league section. Although it in all  likelihood it will no effect after Xmas.

It is St Colman's College, son. Write it out 50 times.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

elk

Looks like there was some very exciting Macrory cup games yesterday anyone at any of the matches. Is there any truth that a few Abbey CBS/ St. Pats Cavan lads got red carded after the final whistle and if so how does this affect them for the next stage of the competition?   Maghera v Magherafelt and Abbey v St. Pauls should be well contested derby matches in the play offs. I think Monaghan will be the team to beat overall.

rodney trotter

It should be a good final next week between St Pats Cavan and MaCartans. McCartans have Conor McCarthy Monghan Minor star from this year and corner forward for Scotstown in their attack along with Cavan Minor Captain Tom Hayes.

Pats haven't had a full strength team for the league so its been good progress.

elk

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 27, 2013, 12:48:29 PM
It should be a good final next week between St Pats Cavan and MaCartans. McCartans have Conor McCarthy Monghan Minor star from this year and corner forward for Scotstown in their attack along with Cavan Minor Captain Tom Hayes.

That's two of the reasons I thought Mc Cartans could be the team to beat but if St Pats have lads still to come in that will improve their team and the fact that no one beat them in a group that looked stronger on paper than Mc Cartans, well maybe it will be Cavans year!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: elk on November 27, 2013, 02:04:57 PM

That's two of the reasons I thought Mc Cartans could be the team to beat but if St Pats have lads still to come in that will improve their team and the fact that no one beat them in a group that looked stronger on paper than Mc Cartans, well maybe it will be Cavans year!

Be nice to see a break through from one of the Southern schools. When was the last time either won the Mac Rory??

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 27, 2013, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: elk on November 27, 2013, 02:04:57 PM

Be nice to see a break through from one of the Southern schools. When was the last time either won the Mac Rory??

1972, Cavan

FarneyMan

I think 1956 was the last year that 2 "southern" colleges competed against each other in a senior final, St Macartans v St Eunans Letterkenny....

Orior

Would it be fair to say that some schools offer lower sixth places to boys who offer great service on the football field, but clearly have little academic ability and shouldn't be there?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

QuoteWould it be fair to say that some schools offer lower sixth places to boys who offer great service on the football field, but clearly have little academic ability and shouldn't be there?

Sure why not? There are now schools in the MacRorwho offer places in all years to boys of little academic ability.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Walter Cronc

Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2013, 09:44:21 PM
QuoteWould it be fair to say that some schools offer lower sixth places to boys who offer great service on the football field, but clearly have little academic ability and shouldn't be there?

Sure why not? There are now schools in the MacRorwho offer places in all years to boys of little academic ability.

Out of interest. Would the following be correct?

Grammar Schools:
Abbey CBS
St Colmans
St Pats Dungannon
Omagh CBS
St Mary's Magherafelt
St Pats Armagh
St Michaels Enniskillen
St Michaels Lurgan

Non Grammar:
St Pats Maghera
St Paul's Bessbrook
St Ciarans Ballygawley

Not sure about St Pats Cavan and St MacCartans Monaghan.

rodney trotter

Stick it on here as its Ulster related, UUJ beat DIT tonight in DKIT, Ryan Cup Semi, 1-11 to 1-10 they meet UCD in the final next week.. UCD beat DCU 12pts to 9 last week.

elk

Quote from: Orior on November 27, 2013, 09:09:12 PM
Would it be fair to say that some schools offer lower sixth places to boys who offer great service on the football field, but clearly have little academic ability and shouldn't be there?
Surely all grammar schools must have a minimum level of academic achievement they require before they would consider offering a  lad a place. Wouldn't be fair on the lad if he was being left behind in class because he isn't fit for the work. Or am I just being naive?

bennydorano

Was there not always something about a slight age difference between northern & southern colleges that handicapped the southern colleges? Was thinking that might have changed?

Dougal Maguire

Don't want to sound nasty but you're being naive Without wanting to sound disrespectful there is an ex St Colmans lad who entered the school in 6th form and who now allegedly has more Hogan Cup medals than he has O Levels
Careful now