Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Quote from: trailer on March 16, 2021, 08:51:08 AM
Everyday countries stop vaccinating this health emergency continues and will continue to kill people. That's the choice that some governments are making. And if I am totally honest if this wasn't a British vaccine I don't think these European countries would be halting their vaccination programmes. Italy are heading back into lockdown, a third wave. Ireland and others are absolutely crazy not to be continuing vaccinating people especially when they have a huge data set showing the success of the vaccine on their doorstep.
It seems obvious to me that certain European countries have a sort of nationalist vested interest in trying to discredit the Astra Zeneca vaccine and the British strategy of delayed second doses - which always seemed sensible to me

But then again there's a massive vested interest among far right and populist politicians and media, especially in Britain, to paint the EU as being at fault for the slow supply of vaccines, and the peddling of easy answers about "going it alone" in procuring supply

Throughout this pandemic there has also been a fear of being seen to be wrong - in large part because of the hyper paranoid "gotcha" mentality of hyper partisan social media, and that has led to some really bad decisions and sticking with failed ideology

For example in Ireland there has been a concerted gaslighting campaign against the Zero Covid people by Government and some members of NPHET, as it became steadily more apparent that the Zero Covid people had pretty much got it right in their analysis all along

Luke O'Neill laid into NIAC yesterday for suspending the Astra Zeneca vaccine, and I think he's right

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2021, 08:49:03 AM
Quote from: Angelo on March 16, 2021, 08:01:09 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2021, 11:37:37 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 15, 2021, 11:20:57 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2021, 11:09:28 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 15, 2021, 11:00:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2021, 10:40:26 PM
Out of the 17 million vaccine jabs given throughout Europe it said on the news 50 were hospitalised from the vaccine.

So what you are saying is that lives in danger from the Vaccine are less important than lives in danger from Covid-19?
That much is clear. Almost 900,000 deaths in Europe vs 50 accine hospitalizations.

This is the type of complete disingenuous narrative that guys like you engage in.

There's been deaths from the vaccines, it is right they are stopped and investigated and people have a right to be concerned regarding this.

If you're are in an at risk category the benefits exceed the risk. If you are not then you have reason to skeptical and your choice be respected.

You can't decide on what you want, live with the virus let more people die don't take the vaccine, let more people die. What's acceptable to you? What's the percentage of that 50 out of 17 million, you're good with figures, you did one before.

I think one person dying from a vaccine is too many. For the at risk categories the benefits outweigh the risks.

For u40s and fit and healthy people I think people should think long and hard about it and be allowed make their own decision. We know the data on Covid and fit and healthy people under 40, the chance of serious illness or death from it are minimal. The chance of you getting Covid too are reduced by social distancing etc.

People who get Covid die from it we are told.

People who take the vaccine just die from blood clotting and we are told to ignore any possible relation to them getting the vaccine shortly before.

It's a strange double standard.

Again you are all over the place, you throw up odds of catching the virus and then under 40's getting it is minimal, pure waffle btw, then say with the percentage of 4 people dying from taking the vaccine out of 17 million isn't worth the risk?

Go back to bed and rest. As for the double standard I have no idea what you are on about, no lives are acceptable and I've always said that, you on the other hand were going on about acceptable deaths and we have to live with covid and accept that deaths are going to happen! Weirdo

Your stupidity knows no bounds.

There's not 17 million people in Norway, there is 5 million.
There's not 17 million AZ vaccines administered in the world.

In the past week, there has been a significant number of cases of blood clotting reported shortly after people received their AZ vaccine. Two of these people have now died, in the the past week and we have people like you trying to coerce or shame people into getting a novel vaccine that has currently being halted and suspended by the EMA to investigate the linkages.

The actions and words from EMA are very different on this, they were quick to outright dismiss this when the Austrian incidents happened last week, this week with further cases emerging and further deaths they have suspended it while reassuring us everything is ok. It's clear everything is not ok as they would not have suspended it otherwise.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Angelo on March 16, 2021, 09:24:59 AM
Out of the 17 million vaccine jabs given throughout Europe it said on the news 50 were hospitalised from the vaccine.

So what you are saying is that lives in danger from the Vaccine are less important than lives in danger from Covid-19?
That much is clear. Almost 900,000 deaths in Europe vs 50 accine hospitalizations.

This is the type of complete disingenuous narrative that guys like you engage in.

There's been deaths from the vaccines, it is right they are stopped and investigated and people have a right to be concerned regarding this.

If you're are in an at risk category the benefits exceed the risk. If you are not then you have reason to skeptical and your choice be respected.

You can't decide on what you want, live with the virus let more people die don't take the vaccine, let more people die. What's acceptable to you? What's the percentage of that 50 out of 17 million, you're good with figures, you did one before.

I think one person dying from a vaccine is too many. For the at risk categories the benefits outweigh the risks.

For u40s and fit and healthy people I think people should think long and hard about it and be allowed make their own decision. We know the data on Covid and fit and healthy people under 40, the chance of serious illness or death from it are minimal. The chance of you getting Covid too are reduced by social distancing etc.

People who take the vaccine just die from blood clotting and we are told to ignore any possible relation to them getting the vaccine shortly before.

Again you are all over the place, you throw up odds of catching the virus and then under 40's getting it is minimal, pure waffle btw, then say with the percentage of 4 people dying from taking the vaccine out of 17 million isn't worth the risk?

Go back to bed and rest. As for the double standard I have no idea what you are on about, no lives are acceptable and I've always said that, you on the other hand were going on about acceptable deaths and we have to live with covid and accept that deaths are going to happen! Weirdo

In the past week, there has been a significant number of cases of blood clotting reported shortly after people received their AZ vaccine. Two of these people have now died, in the the past week and we have people like you trying to coerce or shame people into getting a novel vaccine that has currently being halted and suspended by the EMA to investigate the linkages.

The actions and words from EMA are very different on this, they were quick to outright dismiss this when the Austrian incidents happened last week, this week with further cases emerging and further deaths they have suspended it while reassuring us everything is ok. It's clear everything is not ok as they would not have suspended it otherwise.

Yes there has.

Angelo

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 16, 2021, 09:30:34 AM

Yes there has.

Meant the EU, apologies.

screenexile

EMA have not suspended the Astra Zeneca vaccine. . . "The benefits of the AstraZeneca vaccine in preventing COVID-19, with its associated risk of hospitalisation and death, outweigh the risks of side effects."

Angelo

Quote from: screenexile on March 16, 2021, 09:44:23 AM

EMA have not suspended the Astra Zeneca vaccine. . . "The benefits of the AstraZeneca vaccine in preventing COVID-19, with its associated risk of hospitalisation and death, outweigh the risks of side effects."

The benefits outweigh the risk seems to be a rather cold and callous take on a vaccine that has been associated with a number of blood clotting related deaths in Europe in the past week.

The majority of European countries have now suspended the vaccine.

It's grand that the EMA were casually dismissing Austria suspending the vaccine for a blood clotting related death and serious illness and then we see a number of cases in Norway in the following week.

This is serious.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Angelo on March 16, 2021, 09:51:49 AM
The benefits outweigh the risk seems to be a rather cold and callous take on a vaccine that has been associated with a number of blood clotting related deaths in Europe in the past week.
"Associated with"?

Here is what the Norwegian report which you cited earlier actually says:

Health authorities are investigating whether there is a link between the AstraZeneca vaccine and special blood clotting cases. It has not been concluded whether there is a connection.

"We assess whether there are similarities between the three patients who can say something about the reason why they have had such a particular course of the disease," says Madsen of the Norwegian Medicines Agency.

–Is there anything in the surveys you have done so far that suggests that it may be related to vaccination?

"At the moment, we can't say that. There may be a connection, but it doesn't have to be. We can't say that there is a connection or that there is no connection right now," Madsen said.

Also you state "a number of deaths". Can you say how many?

As for the total number of blood clot patients  (fatal and non-fatal), here is what the BBC has reported in the last half hour:
"About 17 million people have been vaccinated in the EU and the UK - 37 people who had the Oxford vaccine have been reported as having had a blood clot.
However, the number of blood clots reported is no more than would have been expected to have happened naturally."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55056016

As someone who has now received his first jab, I'll take my chances with that (and a second one) over the chances of contracting Covid-19.

Every. Single. Time.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

JoG2

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 16, 2021, 11:17:34 AM
"Associated with"?

Health authorities are investigating whether there is a link between the AstraZeneca vaccine and special blood clotting cases. It has not been concluded whether there is a connection.

"We assess whether there are similarities between the three patients who can say something about the reason why they have had such a particular course of the disease," says Madsen of the Norwegian Medicines Agency.

–Is there anything in the surveys you have done so far that suggests that it may be related to vaccination?

"At the moment, we can't say that. There may be a connection, but it doesn't have to be. We can't say that there is a connection or that there is no connection right now," Madsen said.

As for the total number of blood clot patients  (fatal and non-fatal), here is what the BBC has reported in the last half hour:
"About 17 million people have been vaccinated in the EU and the UK - 37 people who had the Oxford vaccine have been reported as having had a blood clot.
However, the number of blood clots reported is no more than would have been expected to have happened naturally."

As someone who has now received his first jab, I'll take my chances with that (and a second one) over the chances of contracting Covid-19.

Every. Single. Time.

Yes and the anti-vax folk are happy that you will take the vaccine EG . They will be delighted when the % is well into the heard immunity figures and others have created this immunity. They'll never shout or advise others to not take it (some watery excuse or another), just incase the % uptake drops. Take this Angelo fella as an example. Has serious concerns but is happy for his nearest and dearest to take the risk without a word. How cowardly and selfish is that? Happy that the most of us are stepping up to the plate.

I'll be getting my 2nd dose in the coming days. Parents vaccinated, primary 4-7 back in on Monday, so v happy with the way things are progressing atm.

Louther

True story.

Man fell of a roof and sadly died. He'd just got the Vaccine a week before hand but they are recording the death as caused by the vaccine.

It's on Facebook, so must be true.

Angelo

Quote from: JoG2 on March 16, 2021, 11:35:55 AM
"Associated with"?

Every. Single. Time.

Yes and the anti-vax folk are happy that you will take the vaccine EG . They will be delighted when the % is well into the heard immunity figures and others have created this immunity. They'll never shout or advise others to not take it (some watery excuse or another), just incase the % uptake drops. Take this Angelo fella as an example. Has serious concerns but is happy for his nearest and dearest to take the risk without a word. How cowardly and selfish is that? Happy that the most of us are stepping up to the plate.

I'll be getting my 2nd dose in the coming days. Parents vaccinated, primary 4-7 back in on Monday, so v happy with the way things are progressing atm.

There you are again. The dogmatic language and zealot tones. I'm not anti-vax, I do think people who have reservations about the vaccine have grounded and rational reasons for doing so but we have intolerant and quite bigoted people like you who cannot show respect for that viewpoint and attempt a campaign of shaming, misrepresenting and villanising people whose viewpoint differs to theirs.

The news we have here now:

Norway have suspended the vaccine. Why would they do that?

The 4 blood clotting cases happened in healthcare workers who were vaccinated with the AZ vaccine shortly before. All relatively young, one has passed away. Norway is a country of 5m people - that is extremely worrying. The cases in Austria which also included the death of a 49 year old woman are extremely worrying and a 35 year old who was also in a serious condition.

And then we have that sort of abusive idiocy from yourself against anyone who raises concerns about this vaccine.

The AZ vaccine is currently suspended across most European countries. Are they anti-vax too?

Your input and commentary here is moronic but what else should I have expected.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on March 16, 2021, 11:41:03 AM
True story.

Man fell of a roof and sadly died. He'd just got the Vaccine a week before hand but they are recording the death as caused by the vaccine.

Maybe you should ring up all the European countries and tell them there's nothing to worry about.

Maybe tell that to the two families that are grieving a loved one that their death had nothing to do with a vaccine.

You need to ask yourself why are you so quick to absolve the vaccine of having anything to do with the deaths? What's your play here. Do you think the families would appreciate some Man Utd diehard on a GAA forum telling them that the vaccine had nothing to do with their deaths?

trailer

Quote from: JoG2 on March 16, 2021, 11:35:55 AM
"Associated with"?

Every. Single. Time.

Two good posts.

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on March 16, 2021, 11:46:13 AM
True story.

Maybe you should ring up all the European countries and tell them there's nothing to worry about.

Maybe tell that to the two families that are grieving a loved one that their death had nothing to do with a vaccine.

You need to ask yourself why are you so quick to absolve the vaccine of having anything to do with the deaths? What's your play here. Do you think the families would appreciate some Man Utd diehard on a GAA forum telling them that the vaccine had nothing to do with their deaths?

I was merely pointing out some of the ridiculous stories that was doing the rounds when Covid was been blamed for any random deaths and turning it round.

But while you at it. Read what you've said and apply it to yourself and all you've said about Covid deaths.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on March 16, 2021, 11:56:04 AM
Quote from: Angelo on March 16, 2021, 11:46:13 AM
True story.

I was merely pointing out some of the ridiculous stories that was doing the rounds when Covid was been blamed for any random deaths and turning it round.

But while you at it. Read what you've said and apply it to yourself and all you've said about Covid deaths.

Is that a backtrack?

You are one of a number of posters who are completely unwilling to countenance the fact that vaccines may have had anything to do with a death.

The vaccine is suspended across most European countries at the minute.

The same guys who will dogmatically shame and insult anyone who voices concerns on the vaccine, who voice reservations about its safety are the first to dismiss any link or correlation between the vaccine and serious illness or death.

Anti-vax is being used as a pejorative term it seems for people who value their health and are right to do so.