Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

imtommygunn

Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2021, 12:54:02 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2021, 12:43:02 PM
Who's shrugging it off?

Just because you think there is no alternative to lockdown with the way things are going doesn't mean you are shrugging off the implications of them.

Do you think if you approve of lockdown that you don't care about people?

Approval vs thinking something is unfortunately a necessary evil are not the same thing.

You are.

Do you accept the cure could be worse than the problem?

Umm. No I'm not.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2021, 12:58:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2021, 12:47:14 PM

Answer the questions:

Do you see an alternative to people dying from flu? There is a yearly vaccine program for this, it's been in place for a while now

Maybe we should lockdown every winter to prevent that? Maybe we should encourage the elderly to sanitize, reduced contact and was hands more often through the winter. Not a bad thing going forward

Or are people dying from flu acceptable to you?
No death is acceptable, whether its flu, covid, cancer or death drivers!! If there is a way of reducing them then its unacceptable not to put in measures that will save or let someone live longer

1. We have a vaccine for Covid now too, being ran in conjuction with a draconian lockdown so what's your point?

2. But no lockdown right, what did he die from? Flu. Ah good enough for him. He can die from anything as long as it's not Covid.

3. Well why do you accept excess deaths every winter from flu? Every year we accept these deaths without a need for lockdown. A lockdown would prevent and certainly minimise the numbers of deaths for flu. But no, it's acceptable to die from flu but not Covid.

What a hypocrite.

You're the type that if everyone was in boat rowing for safety, your be rowing the other direction..

I wish you well
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

From the Samaritans website:

What do we know about coronavirus and suicide risk?
It is still too soon to know whether coronavirus has affected suicide rates and it is important to note that a rise is not inevitable. However, the effects of the pandemic are being disproportionately felt by the most vulnerable people in society and are exacerbating factors we know are related to suicide.

Clearly the less well off suffer more than the wealthy, but that could be applied to pretty much any area of life.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2021, 12:34:30 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 07, 2021, 12:33:48 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2021, 11:37:21 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 06, 2021, 04:58:23 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2021, 04:46:36 PM
Quote from: Franko on January 06, 2021, 04:27:22 PM

If that's the route we are going down, I'd ask Angelo where he had posted his concerns about mental health, domestic abuse or suicides?

He's clearly very concerned about these issues at the minute, so I'd assume he's posted about it elsewhere before this pandemic?

The issues were exasperated by lockdowns.

I'm concerned about the overall picture. I'm concerned that lockdowns do much more damage overall than they do good. I'm worried the failed cure is a lot worse than the initial problem.

Did you get any figures for that? I had a look but couldn't see any. In fact I just found the below

"In the first half of 2020, 102 suicide deaths were recorded in Northern Ireland and Nisra estimates that the overall suicide figure for this year will be somewhere between 200 and 220 - roughly in line with the provisional figures for 2019"

I can't see any data for an increase in the rate as a result of Covid.

Not sure they would be released yet. But you'd expect the surge in the latter half of the year when we have been on the end of 9 months of lockdowns, businesses closing, jobs lost, people out of touch with their routines and outlets and social isolation. What's a acceptable level of increase in suicides for you? These are the questions we need to ask ourselves when we put the needs of one group ahead of others.

There's nothing released yet but the numbers for the first half didn't seem to be impacted. So we don't know yet how significant an impact it's going to have if any. So hard to argue a case for using it as a reason for reducing lockdowns.

So just wait until the damage is done so?

Your claiming damage because it suits your argument when there is no figures to back it up. Do I think more vulnerable people should be put at risk based on a theory? The answer is categorically no.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 07, 2021, 01:12:35 PM

If that's the route we are going down, I'd ask Angelo where he had posted his concerns about mental health, domestic abuse or suicides?

He's clearly very concerned about these issues at the minute, so I'd assume he's posted about it elsewhere before this pandemic?

I'm concerned about the overall picture. I'm concerned that lockdowns do much more damage overall than they do good. I'm worried the failed cure is a lot worse than the initial problem.

Did you get any figures for that? I had a look but couldn't see any. In fact I just found the below

"In the first half of 2020, 102 suicide deaths were recorded in Northern Ireland and Nisra estimates that the overall suicide figure for this year will be somewhere between 200 and 220 - roughly in line with the provisional figures for 2019"

Not sure they would be released yet. But you'd expect the surge in the latter half of the year when we have been on the end of 9 months of lockdowns, businesses closing, jobs lost, people out of touch with their routines and outlets and social isolation. What's a acceptable level of increase in suicides for you? These are the questions we need to ask ourselves when we put the needs of one group ahead of others.

There's nothing released yet but the numbers for the first half didn't seem to be impacted. So we don't know yet how significant an impact it's going to have if any. So hard to argue a case for using it as a reason for reducing lockdowns.

Your claiming damage because it suits your argument when there is no figures to back it up. Do I think more vulnerable people should be put at risk based on a theory? The answer is categorically no.

No I'm not. I'm arguing against people like you dismissing it as something that does not merit discussion.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

RedHand88

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 07, 2021, 01:44:04 PM
Got the astrazeneca vaccine today.

I feel fine.

Lets get the first covid pub opened! Anyone that has the vaccine can call in with his friends that have been vaccinated and have a pint or two ;D

must bring ID, as IN vaccine proof ID
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

I feel fine.
Sheep. Shill etc. etc. Good stuff. The sooner we get it rolled out across society the better. Maybe we should target the civil service next to see if it improves their absence rates.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2021, 01:14:36 PM

No I'm not. I'm arguing against people like you dismissing it as something that does not merit discussion.

OK maybe I picked you up wrong. I thought you were actually claiming that lockdowns shouldn't be used and this was one of the reasons. Mental health is absolutely a valid point for discussion. But not one that can be justifiably used as a reason for not locking down at the minute.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2021, 01:46:46 PM

I feel fine.

Lets get the first covid pub opened! Anyone that has the vaccine can call in with his friends that have been vaccinated and have a pint or two ;D

must bring ID, as IN vaccine proof ID

So you've no problem actually catching and spreading the virus to others?

Enlightening.

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 07, 2021, 01:47:24 PM

OK maybe I picked you up wrong. I thought you were actually claiming that lockdowns shouldn't be used and this was one of the reasons. Mental health is absolutely a valid point for discussion. But not one that can be justifiably used as a reason for not locking down at the minute.

I'm saying that there are devastating consequences of lockdown and the decision makers seem to use lockdowns as a mechanism to absolve themselves of responsibility of managing the virus and putting it back on the people. Everyone has became absolutely obsessed with Covid, so much so that they cannot see the far reaching and long term consequences of lockdowns and some people are very eager to dismiss having this discussion or acknowledge that the cure could be far worse than the problem.

Angelo

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 07, 2021, 01:47:06 PM

I feel fine.
Sheep. Shill etc. etc. Good stuff. The sooner we get it rolled out across society the better. Maybe we should target the civil service next to see if it improves their absence rates.

Ah yes.

Someone who thinks he can demand that others have them same outlook as them.

I've no issue with anyone getting the vaccine, that's their call and they can make informed decisions on their own health situation.

But people like you are dangerous, demanding others take a vaccine that people do have a right to be suspicious and wary about.

trueblue1234

But to be fair
Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2021, 01:50:14 PM

I'm saying that there are devastating consequences of lockdown and the decision makers seem to use lockdowns as a mechanism to absolve themselves of responsibility of managing the virus and putting it back on the people. Everyone has became absolutely obsessed with Covid, so much so that they cannot see the far reaching and long term consequences of lockdowns and some people are very eager to dismiss having this discussion or acknowledge that the cure could be far worse than the problem.

There's devastating consequences of not locking down as well. People are obsessed with Covid for a reason. Whether decision makes use lockdowns to try and avoid responsibility doesn't affect the requirement for the lockdown.  They definitely made the right decision with regards lock downs. People aren't acknowledging that the cure could be worse than the problem because they don't believe it is. So of course they will argue against it. Just as you entitled to your opinion that lock downs don't work. I think that's complete nonsense but I can't force you to change your mind about it. I think what you want, is to not be challenged on some of your claims.

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 07, 2021, 01:59:03 PM
But to be fair

There's devastating consequences of not locking down as well. People are obsessed with Covid for a reason. Whether decision makes use lockdowns to try and avoid responsibility doesn't affect the requirement for the lockdown.  They definitely made the right decision with regards lock downs. People aren't acknowledging that the cure could be worse than the problem because they don't believe it is. So of course they will argue against it. Just as you entitled to your opinion that lock downs don't work. I think that's complete nonsense but I can't force you to change your mind about it. I think what you want, is to not be challenged on some of your claims.

Those people don't actually argue against. They completely dismiss valid concerns, out of hand with no basis to do so.

If lockdowns worked we wouldn't be having a third one now. They are neither sustainable or functional and have already set in motion long lasting and far reaching implications in the economy, unemployment, education, mental health and domestic abuse among other things. This is why we are now entering our third failed locdown, at what cost?

Franko

Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2021, 02:13:50 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 07, 2021, 01:59:03 PM
But to be fair

Those people don't actually argue against. They completely dismiss valid concerns, out of hand with no basis to do so.

If lockdowns worked we wouldn't be having a third one now. They are neither sustainable or functional and have already set in motion long lasting and far reaching implications in the economy, unemployment, education, mental health and domestic abuse among other things. This is why we are now entering our third failed locdown, at what cost?

The New Zealanders have conclusively proved this to be nonsense.

It's f**king up the bit after the lockdown that means we keep having repeats.