Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

J70

Quote from: Angelo on December 10, 2020, 03:22:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2020, 03:01:49 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 10, 2020, 02:46:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2020, 02:37:53 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 10, 2020, 02:13:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2020, 01:49:58 PM

But those with an agenda are going to hype up every single one as somehow indicative of the the danger of the vaccine.

Plenty of agendas out there.

The real agendas seem to be people willing to dismiss any rational concern as being anti-vax. People are right to have worries and concerns regarding this vaccine and it doesn't help that some people want to tar them as cranks when they express them.

In fact, it is brazenly hypocritical.

The "real agendas"??

Ok Angelo, whatever gets you through the night.

You're the one calling out agendas against people who have genuine concerns about the virus. Why are you doing that?

Seems to be a lot people out there whose sole agenda is to tell people to shut and trust Big Pharma, the bastions of morality.

Where did I call out people with genuine concerns?

I said the response to the allergic reactions was absolutely appropriate. Did you miss that part of my post which you left out in your quote?

I'm talking about the anti-vaccine, pseudoscientific, conspiracy movement who will hype every illness and death to come in those who have received the vaccine. Doesn't matter what the stats or studies say. Everything that doesn't jibe with their preconceived conclusions will be dismissed as propaganda and bought-off scientists. These types of people are not looking to have their "genuine concerns" allayed.

But those with an agenda are going to hype up every single one as somehow indicative of the the danger of the vaccine.

These sort of comments don't help, there are genuine concerns re the vaccine and a lot of the rhetoric on this thread when someone voices them is damning.

I stand by that comment.

ONeill

Am I correct in understanding that the vaccine doesn't stop you from getting Covid or transmitting it, but will stop you from getting very sick from it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: ONeill on December 10, 2020, 05:17:32 PM
Am I correct in understanding that the vaccine doesn't stop you from getting Covid or transmitting it, but will stop you from getting very sick from it?
Yes, it turns out that way.
If you're young and healthy you should be fine anyway if you get the virus. It's probably targeted more for those at a higher risk of getting sick eg older people.
Are they going to develop a vaccine that will eradicate it altogether or what?

armaghniac

No. There simply isn't data on this yet. It may stop, or greatly reduce, transmission, but the Jury is still out on this.
It likely does reduce transmission, but by how much will take a several months of data.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Thanks. Someone said I was a mentalist for suggesting it doesn't definitely prevent you from getting it.

GiveItToTheShooters

Generally a vaccine does prevent you from getting something but this one doesn't ;D
Turns out its not all it was built up to be.

armaghniac

Quote from: ONeill on December 10, 2020, 05:38:51 PM
Thanks. Someone said I was a mentalist for suggesting it doesn't definitely prevent you from getting it.

People seem to know a lot about immunology these days.

It wouldn't be that simple,  the different vaccines may perform differently in this respect and there are several more to come and they are now trying a combination Pfizer/Oxford approach, one jab of each and who knows if that may be the magic combination.

I'd say you could come to situation where it seems to stop spread but that they can't prove it and of course that will be picked up by people with other agendas.

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 10, 2020, 07:17:51 PM
Generally a vaccine does prevent you from getting something but this one doesn't ;D

Bollix, a vaccine is something that improves your prospects, as these ones clearly do.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

To look at it positively, does the current vaccine, if accurate to its description, reduce Covid to a normal flu in terms of potential to be fatal?

macdanger2

The vaccine (like most vaccines) trains your body to fight the virus. If you get covid, your body will be able to respond immediately and kill it - as such, you'll have it in much lower quantities and for less time than you would if you were unvaccinated and had to learn to fight it after getting it

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on December 10, 2020, 03:22:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2020, 03:01:49 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 10, 2020, 02:46:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2020, 02:37:53 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 10, 2020, 02:13:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2020, 01:49:58 PM

Plenty of agendas out there.

The real agendas seem to be people willing to dismiss any rational concern as being anti-vax. People are right to have worries and concerns regarding this vaccine and it doesn't help that some people want to tar them as cranks when they express them.

In fact, it is brazenly hypocritical.

The "real agendas"??

Ok Angelo, whatever gets you through the night.

You're the one calling out agendas against people who have genuine concerns about the virus. Why are you doing that?

Seems to be a lot people out there whose sole agenda is to tell people to shut and trust Big Pharma, the bastions of morality.

Where did I call out people with genuine concerns?

I said the response to the allergic reactions was absolutely appropriate. Did you miss that part of my post which you left out in your quote?

I'm talking about the anti-vaccine, pseudoscientific, conspiracy movement who will hype every illness and death to come in those who have received the vaccine. Doesn't matter what the stats or studies say. Everything that doesn't jibe with their preconceived conclusions will be dismissed as propaganda and bought-off scientists. These types of people are not looking to have their "genuine concerns" allayed.

These sort of comments don't help, there are genuine concerns re the vaccine and a lot of the rhetoric on this thread when someone voices them is damning.

Neither does throw away comments about big pharma in that case.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on December 10, 2020, 07:32:02 PM
To look at it positively, does the current vaccine, if accurate to its description, reduce Covid to a normal flu in terms of potential to be fatal?
The clinical trial data suggested that the vaccines triggered an immune response significant enough to give Covid a kicking. That response will inevitably be different per person depending on what your baseline is, but if it gives the most vulnerable a fighting chance it's worth a shot.

trileacman

Quote from: armaghniac on December 10, 2020, 07:20:46 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 10, 2020, 05:38:51 PM

People seem to know a lot about immunology these days.

It wouldn't be that simple,  the different vaccines may perform differently in this respect and there are several more to come and they are now trying a combination Pfizer/Oxford approach, one jab of each and who knows if that may be the magic combination.

I'd say you could come to situation where it seems to stop spread but that they can't prove it and of course that will be picked up by people with other agendas.

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 10, 2020, 07:17:51 PM

Bollix, a vaccine is something that improves your prospects, as these ones clearly do.

Clearly you know f**k all about immunology.

QuoteI'd say you could come to situation where it seems to stop spread but that they can't prove it

It either prevents clinical infection in the majority of cases or it doesn't. There'll be no doctor putting his hands up saying "well it's working but we don't know how" in 6 months time. It's very easy to vaccinate someone, challenge them with the virus, see if they develop clinical signs and finally see if they become shedders or not.

"where it seems to work but can't be proven". f**k me that's homeopathy 101.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Capt Pat

Can someone provide a more official source for that claim? More official tham people talking on a message board.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 10, 2020, 10:57:45 PM

Can someone provide a more official source for that claim? More official tham people talking on a message board.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/tv/gmbs-dr-hilary-jones-issues-19417593

Joeythelips

Will definitely be getting the vaccine, being asthmatic I am high risk, but there are other issues with COVID. I know people who got it and overcame it but now have some lung, heart or other issues since. There seems to be a lot more to this virus and people are very blasé about it just because the chances of them dying are slim.