Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Seaney

Quote from: APM on November 27, 2020, 11:37:57 AM

If the world was full of people like you, and there is an increasing number who gets their information from the internet and does not respect expertise, we could still be living with smallpox.

Sorry where have I got my information of he internet, you do realise you are online when posting, I have the same information as you and am cautious about a vaccine that has been developed so fast, as mentioned before I have all my vaccinations as have all my kids, I am not anti-vax but am very dubious about this especially on the older generation where any deaths as a result will in my opinion be covered up.

Seaney

But if you were 85 years of age, in good health and were sick of living in isolation, you might look at it very differently and see it as a minor risk worth taking. The problem is that it is not just about individual health; it is about public health and as far as I can see, the kind of people that are opposed to vaccinations, do not understand or support public health. Moreover, they just don't care. 

The way I see it, taking the vaccine is a minor risk for the benefit of public health.  There is a big picture: on balance of risk, what is the greater threat to worldwide health systems and the economy - vaccination or uncontrolled spread of Covid 19.  Clearly the latter.

That's some self righteous shite right there, so folk should accept health risks taking a vaccine so you can get to a football match or a concert, the NHS appear to be coping ok, who aren't coping are the cancer patients, those in isolation, the abused, the mental well being of everyone.

LeoMc

Quote from: Seaney on November 27, 2020, 01:19:37 PM

But if you were 85 years of age, in good health and were sick of living in isolation, you might look at it very differently and see it as a minor risk worth taking. The problem is that it is not just about individual health; it is about public health and as far as I can see, the kind of people that are opposed to vaccinations, do not understand or support public health. Moreover, they just don't care. 

The way I see it, taking the vaccine is a minor risk for the benefit of public health.  There is a big picture: on balance of risk, what is the greater threat to worldwide health systems and the economy - vaccination or uncontrolled spread of Covid 19.  Clearly the latter.

That's some self righteous shite right there, so folk should accept health risks taking a vaccine so you can get to a football match or a concert, the NHS appear to be coping ok, who aren't coping are the cancer patients, those in isolation, the abused, the mental well being of everyone.
And those are the ones you should be taking it for. That is what herd immunity is about, eliminating the transmission paths to those who are vulnerable.
You on the other hand are hand wringing about them but arenot prepared to take a small risk for the greater good.

Seaney

Quote from: Chief on November 27, 2020, 09:03:18 AM

Yeah I'll get it as soon as it is possible to do so, even if I have to pay. And yes I will be encouraging loved ones to do likewise.

Where you getting it Chief, you can't buy it!

dublin7

Quote from: Seaney on November 27, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

If the world was full of people like you, and there is an increasing number who gets their information from the internet and does not respect expertise, we could still be living with smallpox.

Sorry where have I got my information of he internet, you do realise you are online when posting, I have the same information as you and am cautious about a vaccine that has been developed so fast, as mentioned before I have all my vaccinations as have all my kids, I am not anti-vax but am very dubious about this especially on the older generation where any deaths as a result will in my opinion be covered up.

You've quoted your chemical engineer friend a few times here with his/your "info" and it didn't inspire confidence. Yourself and Angelo are the same. You both claim to have no faith in the potential vaccines, but can't point out any actual issues with them, only conspiracy theories around money, big pharma, trials etc.

While governments around the world are not going to make taking a vaccine mandatory life will become very difficult for anyone who refuses to take one. Once vaccines are available to the public it will only be a matter of time before airlines make having had one mandatory before getting on a flight for example

Seaney

Quote from: LeoMc on November 27, 2020, 01:22:35 PM

And those are the ones you should be taking it for. That is what herd immunity is about, eliminating the transmission paths to those who are vulnerable.
You on the other hand are not prepared to take a small risk for the greater good.

How do you know it is small, what statistical data are you using, the oxford one is under the spotlight, imagine the carnage if it is forced on poor residents in care homes and something goes astray a few months down the line - you prepared to accept that risk or are they collateral damage for the greater good, in which case why have they all been locked up all year.

Milltown Row2

So your logic is to open up so that those in isolation, those suffering abuse, poor mental health will get Covid on top of their problems? Or would it be better to take the vaccine so that we can improve the problems you've highlighted?

You're a odd person
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seaney

Quote from: dublin7 on November 27, 2020, 01:24:23 PM

You've quoted your chemical engineer friend a few times here with his/your "info" and it didn't inspire confidence. Yourself and Angelo are the same. You both claim to have no faith in the potential vaccines, but can't point out any actual issues with them, only conspiracy theories around money, big pharma, trials etc.

While governments around the world are not going to make taking a vaccine mandatory life will become very difficult for anyone who refuses to take one. Once vaccines are available to the public it will only be a matter of time before airlines make having had one mandatory before getting on a flight for example

How would I cope, I like my country and holiday there every year.  I would rather believe a professional with no agenda giving advice rather than following the narrative.

Seaney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2020, 01:26:24 PM

So your logic is to open up so that those in isolation, those suffering abuse, poor mental health will get Covid on top of their problems? Or would it be better to take the vaccine so that we can improve the problems you've highlighted?

You're a odd person

And you can't read, I would prefer that more statistical data was available for the vaccines before using the most vulnerable as guinea pigs, you certainly won't be getting a vaccine until al least 2022 so you are ok, but you know that and you couldn't give a flying one about anyone but yourself! 

Milltown Row2

So you'd rather have the lockdowns so the economy can go to the wall m, then create more hardship on the people you've mentioned?

Which is it you want? Five year trials with constant lockdowns creating all the shit that goes with it

Or safe vaccines that will be approved by independent scientists (not your mate) where money was no option in terms of the technology put into finding it?

Again I'm not sure of your logic, very odd and strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Seaney on November 27, 2020, 01:29:35 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 27, 2020, 01:24:23 PM

How would I cope, I like my country and holiday there every year.  I would rather believe a professional with no agenda giving advice rather than following the narrative.

When I said one example I meant air travel was one of many possible issues, not the only one. If you are going to attend any event with any reasonable sized crowd gatherings not having taken a vaccine will be an issue.

No professional has said take the vaccine at the moment as they haven't been approved. In fact the professionals who have been reviewing the Oxford trials have raised issue with it and they are having to look at it again. If anything that should please you rather than anger you as it disproves the theory that rushed, unsafe and untested vaccines will be released to the general public just so some people can make a few quid.   

LeoMc

Quote from: Seaney on November 27, 2020, 01:25:17 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 27, 2020, 01:22:35 PM

You on the other hand are not prepared to take a small risk for the greater good.

How do you know it is small, what statistical data are you using, the oxford one is under the spotlight, imagine the carnage if it is forced on poor residents in care homes and something goes astray a few months down the line - you prepared to accept that risk or are they collateral damage for the greater good, in which case why have they all been locked up all year.
So we are not to trust the MHRA and other global approval bodies. We keep everything locked down until there is more data? How much do you need, or rather how much more do you need than the MHRA, FDA, etc require?

Hound

I'm hearing, from a usually very reliable source, that some NHS staff in the UK will start getting a vaccine by end of next week.
Can't say I understand it being available so fast, and I'm extremely sceptical, but throwing this up here anyway! 

APM

We have seen how the general public rank public health in terms of importance against their need to go shopping at Primark or go drinking in Temple Bar.  The public can't or won't take the kind of precautions necessary to protect public health to allow us to live with Covid.

It is not about whether I can go to a football match nor is it about about individual risks versus individual benefits.  Vaccination is about what works at population level for the greater good of public health, the health service and economy also.  It's not self-righteous, it's common sense. 

If it wasn't for the successive lockdowns, social distancing etc the NHS would be overrun.  Despite best efforts, major unseen damage is actually being done to public health systems and the NHS by Covid.  The longer this goes on the greater the risks to other areas of health at a population level, including cancer, mental health services or social care.  The system doesn't have capacity to cope with increased incidence of mental illness, or of large numbers of delayed cancer diagnoses.

The vaccine will be most effective if it is taken on a widespread basis across the population.  The benefits to public health of a vaccine are enormous and the risks are tiny.

The problem is that the success of the vaccine is undermined if large swathes of people choose not to take it due to some perceived risk to their own health.  They might calculate that Covid will do them very little harm if they get it and that they would prefer to take the risk of catching Covid than taking the vaccine.   The problem is however, that if this reservoir of people is big enough (because they believe everything they read online or hear from their esteemed Engineering PHd friend), it will mean that  the disease will continue to thrive and mutate in the human population, ultimately undermining the effectiveness both the vaccine programme and the vaccine itself. 

Covid really has brought out the worst in many people and a lot of what we see is pure selfishness and a large dollop of gullibility.  I think if you surveyed the anti-vaxxers, the anti-maskers, the covid deniers and the covidiots you would find a lot of narcissism, selfishness and a fair few mental health issues also. 

LCohen

Quote from: Hereiam on November 27, 2020, 12:26:32 PM
Quote from: LCohen on November 26, 2020, 10:43:52 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on November 26, 2020, 10:15:44 PM
So the north is being lined up to be the brits guinea pig for the vaccine, you can just hear ole Boris muttering the words "sure test it on the Irish, they are good for nothing else"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55087961

No harm to you but where are you getting the idea that NI is being used as a guinea pig?

I'm no fan of Boris but that Boris quote only exists in your head

Well the north is usually the last to see any new developments made by Britain be it new infrastructure, health treatments etc, but all of a sudden we are the first being given this new vaccine and you think to yourself why are people in England not getting it first? Surly the British government would but the lives of their own front an foremost.
Where are you getting the idea that the vaccine is being rolled out in NI ahead of GB?