Laois Senior Football 2017

Started by Tony, October 14, 2016, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

Quote from: Saint75 on January 30, 2017, 11:25:20 PM
I agree we need less Senior teams.

Why create a new 2nd level?

Just relegate 3 teams every year to intermediate.

I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference overall.

I would dump the Gaels idea.

Create 3 or 4 area teams made up of all clubs bar senior clubs.

All clubs keep there identity and gives every footballer in Laois a chance to play senior football.

Nothing wrong with being a junior or intermediate club.

Exactly call it intermediate as it should be.
It never fails to amaze me our capacity as GAA people to delude ourselves, same with the All Ireland championship there's at lease 24 counties with absolutely no chance of wining  Sam, simply  because they don't  have  enough bodies to pick from.

Downtheroad

Kerry have 8 club teams taking part in their SFC proper. Laois has 16. Kilkenny have a shocking competitive 12 team senior hurling championship. Even their Intermediate is dog eat dog.  From speaking to players, officers and supporters over the years, some think they have a divine right to remain senior. I don't think this attitude is going to change for a while yet.

clonadmad

Tipperary have as of this year split their 29 senior hurling teams in two

The top 16 teams play for the county championship,the next 13 can only enter into this competition if they win their divisional championship,2 up 2 down in these divisions.

Kerry,Kilkenny now Tipperary obviously these counties know less than the success story that is Laois.

Downtheroad

Quote from: clonadmad on January 31, 2017, 03:34:01 PM
Tipperary have as of this year split their 29 senior hurling teams in two

The top 16 teams play for the county championship,the next 13 can only enter into this competition if they win their divisional championship,2 up 2 down in these divisions.

Kerry,Kilkenny now Tipperary obviously these counties know less than the success story that is Laois.
The Laois Senior hurling championship in 2016 will long live in the memory for the number of tight games crowned by a superb drawn final.  The local Senior Football championship badly needs a competition with a real edge where teams have no choice but prepare. Both Clonaslee  (poor effort at training) and Ballyfin (pulling out of the league) deserved to go down last year. Only the class of a couple of their young players in the case of Ballyfin saved them.  Mind you they are taking no chances this year as they are even taking part in the Kelly cup.   

High Fielder

The last 10 years have seen Portlaoise dominate in football. That may change if results at underage are anything to go  by. My guess is it won't because where competition exists at underage level, it evaporates when clubs go back (split) to Senior. The key to the GAA at all levels is numbers. Numbers give you the ability to pick a better 15 than those clubs/counties who have to cobble together a team. It's simple enough really, and fellas who think tinkering around with structures, or worse still, believing they can compete with Portlaoise or Dublin, are deluding themselves. There will be occasions (rare) when teams get a good crop, and we in Laois know about that. More often than not though, numbers will always win out. I'm afraid our county is far too divided and far too stubborn to acknowledge the patently obvious. For that reason, it really is just best to get on with it, do your best, but don't be too disheartened when the inevitable happens.

Saint75

Quote from: Don Draper on January 31, 2017, 08:59:37 AM

I assume "Saint" means St Josephs, and I think we all know what happened the last time they tried to relegate 3 teams in one year.

Good man very helpful input👍🏻

Don Draper

Quote from: Saint75 on January 31, 2017, 09:41:06 PM

I assume "Saint" means St Josephs, and I think we all know what happened the last time they tried to relegate 3 teams in one year.

Your input contributed hugely to Stradballys title in 2016, credit where its due.

The Monument Road

Quote from: Don Draper on January 31, 2017, 09:56:46 PM

Your input contributed hugely to Stradballys title in 2016, credit where its due.
Grow up the pair of ye... :'( :o

Saint75

Quote from: The Monument Road on January 31, 2017, 10:01:18 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on January 31, 2017, 09:56:46 PM

Your input contributed hugely to Stradballys title in 2016, credit where its due

I happen to think all 3 clubs should have played the relegation playoff that year.

I'm not sure how you're comment enhances the discussion.

Try to make some sort of valid or helpful point the next time.

Good man👍🏻

Don Draper

The Monument Road

Quote from: Don Draper on February 03, 2017, 07:56:43 AM
It's "your" not "you're".
very valid and helpful. ..we have ta make sure dat we get our spellin correct  :'( :-X

Don Draper

Quote from: The Monument Road on February 03, 2017, 12:46:56 PM
very valid and helpful. ..we have ta make sure dat we get our spellin correct  :'( :-X
Well he did ask.

town1980

Probably in my opinion the weakest Laois team on paper I have ever seen,, I no we have a lot of injuries but Louth have to be favourites... I fear for them tmw  night .. a bad result will have moral very low for the rest of the league.. hope we win but I think it'll be to big of an ask even against louth

Saint75

Quote from: Don Draper on February 03, 2017, 01:08:01 PM
Quote from: The Monument Road on February 03, 2017, 12:46:56 PM
Well he did ask.

Online forums have the potential for great discussion but unfortunately seem to attract fools.

Jellyfish

Team due to be named tonight or tomorrow, injuries seem to be clearing up! Wonder has many left the panel since the league?
To be tough enough to win, you must first be tough enough to lose.