Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby47

Quote from: WT4E on September 12, 2022, 09:52:49 AM
OK take your word for it.

Cunningham must be a strange one.

Strange one taking to twitter, what was he hoping to gain?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: toby47 on September 12, 2022, 12:41:49 PM

Who knows,  he's in the States for years now and is a good lad. Very active in social media as that's his work,  PR & marketing....

quit yo jibbajabba

Having had a nosy i think it was his birthday also. Hes maybe posted having had a few *hic*
Weve all been there. Other than forgettin to hit Send one night i deffo wouldnt be on here and would have half of a largish area in South Derry after me 😂😂

general_lee

Wtf does he have to achieve by tweeting this bollox whether it's true or not?

nrico2006

Quote from: general_lee on September 12, 2022, 01:05:35 PM

He is probably simply trying to let people know the situation, which most people would want to know given how backward a decision it is, especially coming from a big club regarding a big player.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

general_lee

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 13, 2022, 09:59:51 AM

He is probably simply trying to let people know the situation, which most people would want to know given how backward a decision it is, especially coming from a big club regarding a big player.
Aye I'm sure his former teammates really appreciate the gesture!

nrico2006

Quote from: general_lee on September 13, 2022, 10:06:57 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 13, 2022, 09:59:51 AM

Aye I'm sure his former teammates really appreciate the gesture!

If its true then I am sure Jamie Clarke probably does appreciate it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

WT4E

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 12, 2022, 12:52:49 PM
Quote from: toby47 on September 12, 2022, 12:41:49 PM

Who knows,  he's in the States for years now and is a good lad. Very active in social media as that's his work,  PR & marketing....

Well well well what have we here

Jamie Clarke fell foul of Crossmaglen Rangers' seven-day rule by playing for Newry City last Tuesday night and it is understood that is why he played no part in Crossmaglen's dramatic comeback win over Silverbridge Harps in the Armagh Senior Football Championship on Sunday. Cross Rangers

IRISH NEWS

ranch

Seen this on the Armagh forum so thought I'd copy it over here to see if others think it's a good idea or not. Realistically there probably isn't an appetite to make it happen in Armagh, but it would be an interesting championship for sure.

Long post here, so please bear with me.
As has been discussed in many counties over the years, why don't we adopt the Kerry system of 'regional' teams for a county championship? Individual clubs would still compete in their club championships, but a new system would mean that every player in the county could aspire to competing for the county championship every year.

Let's look at how this might look in Armagh (I'll be using the 2022 leagues to illustrate the point).

First of all, we'd have 8 'Senior' clubs - These 8 would compete in the senior 'county' championship against 'regional' teams as well as competing in the senior 'club' championship too. The winner of the 'county' championship would represent us in Ulster , unless a regional team wins it. If that was the cse then the winner of the senior club championship would go forward into Ulster.
Below Senior we'd then have intermediate, Junior A, B, C, D. This would increase our competitiveness at Ulster club level also.

The leagues and 'club' championships would look like this;

SENIOR
Crossmaglen
Clann Eireann
Dromintee
Killeavy
Armagh Harps
Maghery
Madden
Granemore

INTERMEDIATE
Ballymacnab
Cullyhanna
Silverbridge
Mullabawn
Pearse Og
Sarsfields
Clan na Gael
Grange

JUNIOR A
Shane O'Neill's
Carrickcruppen
Tullysaran
St Peter's
St Paul's
Wolfe Tones
Annaghmore
Whitecross

JUNIOR B
Belleek
Culloville
Ballyhegan
Clonmore
Tir na nog
Forkhill
Collegeland
Keady
Cross II

JUNIOR C
Derrynoose
Middletown
Eire Og
Newtownhamilton
Dorsey
Lissummon

Junior D
Killeavy II
Corrinshego
An Port Mor
O'Hanlon's
Clady
Mullabrack

Beyond this we'd then have our 'county' championship.

REGIONS - COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP (clubs in BLOCK CAPITALS would compete on their own in the county championship unless relegated - when relegated they'd join their regional side the following season - for example, Dromintee next year would fall back into their regional side, Ballymacnab would be going up to competing on their own)

1. SOUTH ARMAGH EAST (cruppen, shanes, corrinshego, whitecross, lissummon, o'hanlons, belleek) KILLEAVY, DROMINTEE

2. SOUTH ARMAGH WEST (Newtownhamilton, Dorsey, Silverbridge, Cullyhanna, Cullaville, Mullabawn, Forkhill) CROSSMAGLEN

3. MID ARMAGH WEST (Clady, Ballymacnab, Keady, Derrynoose, Middletown) MADDEN, GRANEMORE

4. MID ARMAGH CENTRAL (Pearse Og, An Port Mor, Tullysaran, Grange, Mullabrack) HARPS

5. NORTH ARMAGH COUNTRY (Annaghmore, Clonmore, Collegeland, Wolfe Tones, Sarsfields, Ballyhegan) MAGHERY

6. NORTH ARMAGH TOWN (St Peter's, St Paul's, Clan na Gael, Tir na nog, Eire Og) CLANN EIREANN

This is just a rough example of how it might work, I'm sure there are better minds than mine who could refine this even further. Thoughts?

general_lee

I actually think the Kerry system is flawed.
Yes it benefits Kerry clubs no end, has been in place for years and regularly sees their clubs unfairly  dominate at provincial and all Ireland level, but I don't think it would work in Armagh if replicated exactly. I don't think too many clubs would fancy dropping a grade. Shane's for example have been promoted to senior football this year but under this set up they've just been demoted to Junior.

There are 3 grades at senior level and each county should grade their clubs accordingly in as fair a way as possible. I think the current set up in Armagh is fine and wouldn't really change anything. I would support junior and intermediate clubs joining together to form regional sides, perhaps they could all play off against each other with the top team entering the SFC in a preliminary round, but the league and championship set up doesn't need to change to accommodate this.

yellowcard

In recent years Armagh county board have done a very good job with fixtures in a well structured format. All the games are competitive and club players get regular games every week irrespective of the county side. The return to a straight knock out format has also greatly helped the quality and championship feel of fixtures. Although the proposal is well thought out I don't really see the appetite for another competition in an already squeezed fixture list.

Ash Smoker

Quote from: 5times5times on September 11, 2022, 06:52:39 PM
Quote from: WT4E on September 11, 2022, 11:16:29 AM
Right ould spat goin on on twitter about Cross. Seems to coming from Aaron cunnigham. What's goin on?

Crossmaglen committee informed Cross management, that Clarke should be barred from playing, while being on Newry City soccer books.

Disgraceful actions from the club.
Is there any truth to this?

sensethetone

What's Maghery's chances on Friday night?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: sensethetone on October 04, 2022, 12:09:47 PM
Strong chances.  Have beaten us twice in the league this year so will likely be slight favourites after getting through 2 harder rounds

Redhand Santa

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 04, 2022, 01:13:13 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on October 04, 2022, 12:09:47 PM
Strong chances.  Have beaten us twice in the league this year so will likely be slight favourites after getting through 2 harder rounds

Slight favourites!? They're 4/1 with the bookies.