All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: straightred on September 20, 2017, 10:46:36 PM
Quote from: blast05 on September 20, 2017, 10:43:17 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 20, 2017, 09:16:22 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 20, 2017, 09:06:24 PM
Can you really mention Tyrone on the same breath as the other 3 any more?
Only last year Tyrone lost a quarter final more than Mayo won it. They aren't at the level of the Tyrone All Ireland winning teams however come next summer i would expect them to be there or thereabouts against both Mayo,Kerry where one side is in transition and the other about to go into transition.

Surely surely you know realise that Mayo in semi-finals and finals versus earlier in the seasons are 2 completely different beasts. They plan to peak for semis and finals and have got it fairly consistently right.
There is simply no way on earth i would compare the Mayo performance against Tyrone last year with any of our performances v Dublin in past few years or v Kerry in 2014.

Maybe they do plan to peak for August/Sept but was Derry missing a free in the last minute to knock them out part of the plan. Or cork, or roscommon, or Kerry even. If it was part of the plan fair play to them as it worked. However its high risk and they very very lucky not to get caught out

Mayo's plan was to beat Galway in June then plans were changed after that defeat which turned out to be blessing in disguise. Certain players found their form others got over injuries and the system and structure of the team improved greatly to allow Mayo to beat Kerry and give Dublin almighty fright.

Milltown Row2

Throwing the gps at direction of the ball/player has been blown all out out proportion in my view, an act of desperation that is the same as someone shouting at a player taking a free or goal keeper banging the cross bar or the player throwing his hurl at the ball to try and block it... it's the final moments of an All Ireland final!

Third defeat by a single  point ! Give the man a break ffs! The amount of off the ball crap that goes on in games and this incident gets the headlines!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

criostlinn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 20, 2017, 11:20:47 PM
Throwing the gps at direction of the ball/player has been blown all out out proportion in my view, an act of desperation that is the same as someone shouting at a player taking a free or goal keeper banging the cross bar or the player throwing his hurl at the ball to try and block it... it's the final moments of an All Ireland final!

Third defeat by a single  point ! Give the man a break ffs! The amount of off the ball crap that goes on in games and this incident gets the headlines!!

Is it much different to taking the goalies tees to prevent a kick out or balls mysteriously appearing on the pitch when someone is about to kick it. Sledging a free taker seems to have become acceptable but what Keegan did is an all time low. 
The only reason someone hasn't done this before is because they are only wearing these bloody things the last couple of years. If the referee spotted what Keegan did the free would have been moved forward and that would probably be the end of it. We would all be saying what a stupid thing to do.
Charlie and his crew should just try and enjoy the win and try and forget about this unhealthy obsession with Keegan. The Dublin players have the All Ireland's. Is this not enough. Why the need to kick a man when he's down.

whitey

Quote from: criostlinn on September 20, 2017, 11:47:31 PM

Is it much different to taking the goalies tees to prevent a kick out or balls mysteriously appearing on the pitch when someone is about to kick it. Sledging a free taker seems to have become acceptable but what Keegan did is an all time low. 
The only reason someone hasn't done this before is because they are only wearing these bloody things the last couple of years. If the referee spotted what Keegan did the free would have been moved forward and that would probably be the end of it. We would all be saying what a stupid thing to do.
Charlie and his crew should just try and enjoy the win and try and forget about this unhealthy obsession with Keegan. The Dublin players have the All Ireland's. Is this not enough. Why the need to kick a man when he's down.

I dont know if youre old enough to remember, but Mick Webb, Mayo goalkeeper in the early 80's used to get the posts swaying back and forth

tonto1888

Quote from: criostlinn on September 20, 2017, 11:47:31 PM

Regarding the tees. Did Costello remove them from the pitch? Aren't they supposed to be off th pitch until the kick out is taken anyway? That's a genuine question as leaving them on he field could be dangerous?

seafoid

Maith thú
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TheGreatest

Only last year Tyrone lost a quarter final more than Mayo won it. They aren't at the level of the Tyrone All Ireland winning teams however come next summer i would expect them to be there or thereabouts against both Mayo,Kerry where one side is in transition and the other about to go into transition.

Surely surely you know realise that Mayo in semi-finals and finals versus earlier in the seasons are 2 completely different beasts. They plan to peak for semis and finals and have got it fairly consistently right.
There is simply no way on earth i would compare the Mayo performance against Tyrone last year with any of our performances v Dublin in past few years or v Kerry in 2014.

Maybe that's what's wrong.

instead of trying to be at  the same level all year. To me, League campaigns have given this Dublin team the know how to win and close out games, tactics, especially competing in League Semi's and finals. The how to do it pretty, they know how to do it ugly. Mayo lost 2 championship games this year, 2, drew 3. Dublin lost by a point to Kerry which probably in the long run benefited the Dubs to know what its like to lose again.

Maroon Manc

Mayo have probably been peaking for August since 2012, they didn't have to be anyway near their best to win Connacht from until 2015 given how poor the rest of Connacht were.

Given the age of the squad you'd imagine Rochford won't do anything different next year apart from trying to find new players in the league, I've seen people say the extra games helped Mayo but it certainly took them a while to get going after 4 poor performances in July.

This was the best performance from this Mayo team in a final, if you'd told me before the game Mayo would have won 6 of Cluxtons kickouts in the first half and their full forward line kicked 0-8 from play I'd have said Mayo would win.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 20, 2017, 10:49:05 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on September 20, 2017, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 20, 2017, 06:37:54 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 20, 2017, 05:44:05 PM
I think I've had three reasonable answers to the questions I posed and thanks to those who took the trouble to reply.
The attitude to the negative policies of some, especially northern, counties was my main interest.
It seems all of us believe that the end justifies the means and that whatever it takes to win comes before entertaining anyone. Now, Dub supporters by and large were very critical of Tyrone  and their negative tactics in the semi, forgetting it seems that Mickey &co. were more afraid of losing rather that confident of winning.
They played the way that gave them the best prospect of winning as they couldn't hope to match the Dubs if they went toe to toe. It was a case of damage limitation before the ref threw the ball in. They knew they weren't going to score much but they concentrated on trying to prevent Dublin scoring more than them and feck the spectacle.
I imagine Mayo is the only county that wouldn't go on the back foot when playing Dublin but I may be biased here. However, I don't think so.
@The Greatest.
No, I don't blame the Dubs for Mayo's defeats in any year you care to mention. I wasn't referring to Mayo in any sense. It's just that the Hill is Blue fella always struck me as a reasonable individual but the stuff he came out with in his last post astounded me. Talk about cliches and generalisations!  I get a lot of that stuff in my local alright but I was curious to see how many Dubs would think the way he does.

Lar, I'm puzzled as to which post of mine you're referring.

I think he's mixing you up with someone else
Lar, stay with the program. its Hill16 Blues and I wouldn't be really putting much thought into what that jackass say.
You are right Criost, I mistook the troll for one of the more sensible posters on this forum.
This goes back to a post on page 33, before the game, when I answered a query from Wildweasel , looking for info on Mayo's training expenses.(Or something like that.)
I gave him the figures for both Mayo and Dublin, which I'm confident are correct.
Imagine my surprise when The Hill is Blue replied saying it was time to cut out the bitching and enjoy the prospect of the game.
As there wasn't an iota of bitching in my post, this was the last reply I expected from him. Then when I saw "Hill" and "Blue" in the troll's post, I jumped to a wrong conclusion. Bejaysus, I thought if The Hill is Blue is thinking like that, what's going on on the Dublin side of the divide?
I suppose you could take this as a backhanded compliment  as I know it wasn't likely for him to stoop that low. I
jumped to the wrong conclusion and decided to see what genuine Dub supporters thought about what had been posted here.

Fair dues to you Lar  ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

westbound

Quote from: vallankumous on September 20, 2017, 03:19:06 PM
Quote from: westbound on September 20, 2017, 02:46:53 PM

I think you are misinterpreting a lot of the points he is making. See my points in bold.

I don't think this piece is anti-mayo/colm Boyle or pro dublin in anyway. It's pro black card in the main, with a suggestion on how to improve it.

It's pro black card in the main

I give him more credit than you do. He knew exactly what he was writing.

We'll agree to disagree so!

Hound

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 21, 2017, 07:07:47 AM

Regarding the tees. Did Costello remove them from the pitch? Aren't they supposed to be off th pitch until the kick out is taken anyway? That's a genuine question as leaving them on he field could be dangerous?

That's correct. When Rock was getting ready, Clarke put his tee out on the pitch. So Costello saw it, took it and fired it away. It shouldnt be on the pitch so I don't think anyone would complain that that was too unreasonable. But after Costello threw the tee away, he then noticed two more tees at either post. Getting those two tees and firing them away, was clearly unreasonable.

Orchard park

it was among many indictments Costello had in his 3 minutes on field. has a player ever broken more rules without touching the ball ???

rrhf

Equally as tasteless as Keegan. 
The WWF stuff which took place after the kick out...  I dont think the Dubs can complain too much.  They do what it takes to win.  Charlie Redmond done what it took to win in 95.  Eoghan O Gara did what he believed it took to win in the first half.  Up to the officials to punish it properly and they are not ding this in the end Dublin won so it unfortunately it continues.
The Dubs can play football if its a game of football but dont ever try and beat them.   

Jinxy

Lord save me, I have heard this pathetic refrain far too much over the last few days.
"Sure we'd all do it!"
Give me a break.
I played the game for 20 years and I never saw anything like this happening on the field.
It is 100% inexcusable.
If you have no problem with Keegan throwing the GPS monitor, then answer me this, what would have happened if Dean Rock missed?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM