Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2017, 10:45:28 AM
It's down to money.... if we don't have it we can't support it

This is where I'm critical of the county board, where's the business plan or fundraising plan to get us there?

We need to see the plan, critique it, get a vote on it and get everybody marching towards it.

Otherwise the leadership will always hid behind "lack of money"

BrendanAntrim

Not everyone has everything right and we certainly don't; not yet anyway. Club Down may have been formed in 1960 but even they are going through an overhaul and a re vamp. Club Aontroma was formed in 2008 and is going through a similar overhaul. Last Friday the new fundraising body in Antrim hosted a lunch where 470 - four hundred and seventy - people either bought a £60 ticket or in most cases were guests of corporate businesses who paid £600 for a table. That's serious fundraising.

The auction on the day - with all the prizes sourced or donated from among supportive Antrim related businesses, raised over £18,000. We had Ross Carr at our table and he left wondering if Down could even pull off such an event.

Now, there was a huge bloody effort involved in managing and delivering that event and in truth it was driven by no more than 8-10 individuals. Antrim is getting things right off the pitch so please take that into account.

bannside

Well said Brendan. Anyone who was at the dinner was exceptionally impressed. A great sum was raised and new businesses signed up to the Saffron Business Club.

That's just part of the fundraising effort but unfortunately due to our historic debt it will be a while before it filters through to the playing side of things. Talking of that though, there is no doubt that our development squad work has raised its game since Paul Doherty took up the main role. Our juveniles, minors and under twenty ones are a good deal more competitive than they were a decade ago. So that should be recognised.

That leaves the area of senior inter county participation....and here we continue to underperform. Yes our budgets are minimal compared to successful counties, but the immediate priority of the new board was to halt the financial decline, reduce the deficit and steady the ship. That is being achieved and the men doing that deserve our gratitude, not our derision. That's work in progress which was always going to take years. So we need to be patient here.

Could our senior footballers be doing much better. Yes they should. And I'd say that's one of the boards next priorities. And I trust they won't be found wanting when the time comes.

Kickham csc

Quote from: bannside on May 25, 2017, 01:00:57 PM
Well said Brendan. Anyone who was at the dinner was exceptionally impressed. A great sum was raised and new businesses signed up to the Saffron Business Club.

That's just part of the fundraising effort but unfortunately due to our historic debt it will be a while before it filters through to the playing side of things. Talking of that though, there is no doubt that our development squad work has raised its game since Paul Doherty took up the main role. Our juveniles, minors and under twenty ones are a good deal more competitive than they were a decade ago. So that should be recognised.

That leaves the area of senior inter county participation....and here we continue to underperform. Yes our budgets are minimal compared to successful counties, but the immediate priority of the new board was to halt the financial decline, reduce the deficit and steady the ship. That is being achieved and the men doing that deserve our gratitude, not our derision. That's work in progress which was always going to take years. So we need to be patient here.

Could our senior footballers be doing much better. Yes they should. And I'd say that's one of the boards next priorities. And I trust they won't be found wanting when the time comes.

Have issues with that comment. Was the fund raising event focused on delivering monies to manage the  county's debt, or for development squads etc? If we are saying that the money was raised for debt management then there is an issue.

My own club has identified that different revenue streams fund different outlays for the club and the county needs to be clear how it plans to manage this

I work for a global multinational company and we are under gross margin and net margin pressures to stay competitive. We have a major "fund raising" program in the guise of a cost optimization program to manage the debts /expenditures, but at the same time our R&D expenditure has been increased. Everybody understands the strategy, R&D drives future performance and cost management drives current performance. Together they will both enable the company to be competitive.

If Antrim doesn't get this balance correct, then we'll never deliver to our potential.

This is a major issue, let's say that it will take Antrim GAA 20 years to payoff the debt before money is focused on the development side, then we need to accept that we will be 4th class citizens in the GAA hierarchy.

Or maybe we should have a plan to get finances sorted over a 30 year period and release more funds to the development activities.

Need some clarity, but at a minimum, we should be targeting the same support to our county teams as our neighbors are.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Kickham csc on May 25, 2017, 02:00:06 PM

Have issues with that comment. Was the fund raising event focused on delivering monies to manage the  county's debt, or for development squads etc? If we are saying that the money was raised for debt management then there is an issue.

My own club has identified that different revenue streams fund different outlays for the club and the county needs to be clear how it plans to manage this

I work for a global multinational company and we are under gross margin and net margin pressures to stay competitive. We have a major "fund raising" program in the guise of a cost optimization program to manage the debts /expenditures, but at the same time our R&D expenditure has been increased. Everybody understands the strategy, R&D drives future performance and cost management drives current performance. Together they will both enable the company to be competitive.

If Antrim doesn't get this balance correct, then we'll never deliver to our potential.

This is a major issue, let's say that it will take Antrim GAA 20 years to payoff the debt before money is focused on the development side, then we need to accept that we will be 4th class citizens in the GAA hierarchy.

Or maybe we should have a plan to get finances sorted over a 30 year period and release more funds to the development activities.

Need some clarity, but at a minimum, we should be targeting the same support to our county teams as our neighbors are.
Glad to see u on in support of your mate(s), and I see you akin to those on high share the same philosophy of those politicians across the sea (thankfully), they would also claim all ailments are the cause of others, and the only way forward is in austerity (for others).
Could I ask you just when we will aspire to even an Ulster title at senior level, and wherein is the talent to bring us to the top, and having seen the crowds which attend our games where is the support coming from.......
A few hundred in total watched all the county games on home soil in 2017........and even on the domestic front most times it is difficult to locate a couple of linesmen and umpires.
Although you scorned reports that our future (minors and under-17s) were treated less than well this such is an undoubted fact....will such encourage them to carry on regardless in the years to come?
Those young men are absolutely fundamental to our future and as a good friend of mine told me years ago, "When you lose the fundamental, you lose the argument".

BrendanAntrim

Lads - a few facts wouldn't go amiss here.....

The Coiste Urraiochta - the fundraising arm of the Coiste Banaiste, which organised last week's lunch and which launched the Saffron Business Network, has agreed a six figure budget per annum with the Devt Squads - covering this year and next - and that is a significant increase on previous budgets allocated to the squads, and is well above a number of other Ulster counties. So while dealing with the inherited debt, investment is also being made on current needs with the focus - rightly in my opinion - on the development squads. Anything else you hear is tittle tattle.

Our teams are provided for now more than any time in the recent past. Don't underestimate how much it costs to run development squads, up to and including minor, at all age grades and in both codes. With respect to our neighbours no other county in Ulster does it.

Kickham csc

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 25, 2017, 02:30:44 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on May 25, 2017, 02:00:06 PM

Glad to see u on in support of your mate(s), who?

and I see you akin to those on high share the same philosophy of those politicians across the sea (thankfully), they would also claim all ailments are the cause of others, and the only way forward is in austerity (for others).
Never said that. What I did say is that in business you have to balance cost management and investment in the future. I don't believe in austerity for austerity sake, but I do agree with looking at where money is being spent and making sure it's getting to the right people and projects, and not jobs for the boys projects.

Could I ask you just when we will aspire to even an Ulster title at senior level, and wherein is the talent to bring us to the top,

As I mentioned before, I believe that we as a county have a decision to make. If we aggressively invest now in the youth you are talking about 15 - 20 years before we should be targeting being competitive at the top table. But this means investing both in our youth and senior teams, as we need the top teams to start pushing up in small steps.

and having seen the crowds which attend our games where is the support coming from.......
A few hundred in total watched all the county games on home soil in 2017........and even on the domestic front most times it is difficult to locate a couple of linesmen and umpires.

Build it and they will come. When you have a competitive team, more people will come to watch it. But before we have numbers, the county should recognize that the when you have moderate numbers coming to watch, host the games in a smaller venue, e.g. Toome, Ahoghil, St Pauls,  etc to generate atmosphere.

Although you scorned reports that our future (minors and under-17s) were treated less than well this such is an undoubted fact....will such encourage them to carry on regardless in the years to come?

I didn't scorn reports, I'm disgusted at the reports

Those young men are absolutely fundamental to our future and as a good friend of mine told me years ago, "When you lose the fundamental, you lose the argument".

Agree

country bumpkin

Sorry Kickhams my post was for the attention of Bannside.....

Milltown Row2

Someone can't work the quote function !! Hogan Stand stuff!

Brendan that's positive stuff...plenty coverage of it and well done to all who attended and dug deep into their pockets.

I'm sure after a while the meals will become more available and we can start to win Ulster titles again
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

some good points made, and encouraging to see suggestion son how to move forward and manage funds.

My two pence worth would be that short term:

1) Appoint a proper experienced manager with the credentials and intercounty CV  - we need to make the most out of what we have until long terms development plans come to fruition) and high risk appointments aren't working currently

2) End the vagabond nature of the team and get an approved central ground - not just one that changes after each manager.  Build a concrete standing terrace in Toome (no roof) - central location, plenty of exit routes, is within a population settlement, hotel for pre or post match meals/drink, plenty of parking, in a hotbed of GAA in Antrim and will attract a crowd for league games - JUST until this casement debacle is sorted. Low cost but quick return. Give the team and county a base to operate from,  plus it gets revenue up. Corrigan isn't attracting the crowds at all. Toome would ideally be trying to safely hold a county championship game (but that may require two stands).  Could be approved, through planning and built before the county club final - will show real intent that the county is moving forward.

3) Start a process of pride and recognition in the county. half the team is unknown and there appears to be a serious lack of pride in playing for antrim - it is not the ultimate goal for footballers unlike the other counties. its a 'nice to have' at the moment.

4) The business support is critical - we need to show that business men who are putting their money into Antrim are getting a benefit out of it - exposure, using their products, highlighting their products etc etc

theskull1

Hard to fathom the decision to commit to building what has been built at Dunsilly  :-\

A one trick donkey of a facility when you consider all the restrictions in regard to parking, access, facilities
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Spike

Quote from: theskull1 on May 26, 2017, 10:05:59 AM
Hard to fathom the decision to commit to building what has been built at Dunsilly  :-\

A one trick donkey of a facility when you consider all the restrictions in regard to parking, access, facilities

Look it was a great idea in principle but the delivery and short-sightedness of it was terrible.  Owen Beg appears to have been a great success for Derry (training venue and championship venue) but doesn't appear to suit the neutral championship viewers like south derry did and detracts revenue from the criminal misuse of celtic park - alongside casement as a white elephant.   Antrim need a 'venue & Experience', Toome offers it and is central to the hardened antrim fans and there are facilities and services for people to 'make a day of it'   

country bumpkin

Jeez how far is it from Milltown to Toome Spike..? :)

Spike

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 26, 2017, 10:55:44 AM
Jeez how far is it from Milltown to Toome Spike..? :)

I would refer you to Einstein's Theory of Relativity  ;)

Milltown Row2

once they widen the road to Toome it will be easier to get to than Casement
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea