Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 19, 2017, 11:12:08 PM
Beat by a good Derry team. What's wrong with that. Antrim don't have God given right to beat us

No but we have the god given right to be disappointed whats wrong with that
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

saffron89

Fair play Derry
Good luck to them
Mind you no Ulster team deserves to be anywhere near the semi finals of that competition

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

An all Ireland u21 B would be way to go

johnneycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 20, 2017, 12:16:14 AM
An all Ireland u21 B would be way to go

In an ideal world yes, but I know that we've 4 or 5 of our senior club team on the Down team that beat Armagh in the U21's tonight and we would struggle to field field without them.

Quote from: saffron89 on July 19, 2017, 11:54:33 PM
Fair play Derry
Good luck to them
Mind you no Ulster team deserves to be anywhere near the semi finals of that competition

I'm inclined to agree with that although I know it'll marginalise Ulster hurling even further as we don't put anywhere near the same effort in as what goes into U21 even by the likes of Westmeath and Laois who're long gone off the stage.

old timers

Unfortunately for those young men and the managers last nite they were let down by the Antrim
board.  No one wanted that job and it was never going to be any better than it was last nite.  The Derry senior hurling manager was on the Derry sideline giving encouragement and support and I would say they had been training a lot longer than the Antrim squad. And we wonder why Antrim is the way it is.  If no-one wanted to coach you (and everyone was aware of that via social media) how else did we expect those kids to play.  The people that should have helped and didn't stood by and watched one of Antrims worst performances that Iv seen.  The talent is there but nobody wanted to give their time. IMO

theskull1

Not enough volunteers to do the thing right across clubs and county. Age old problem. Always wonder how many giving out about that truth are part of that problem  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Na Glinntí Glasa

its an age level thats always been over looked in antrim more so than any other. the fact that the ulster champions still get into the all ireland series shows that no one is interested in developing the U21 grade at all.

the Wexford result aside the ulster champions have been taking a pasting each year at it.
hurl like f**k boi!

Usain

Quote from: old timers on July 20, 2017, 10:25:46 AM
Unfortunately for those young men and the managers last nite they were let down by the Antrim
board.  No one wanted that job and it was never going to be any better than it was last nite.  The Derry senior hurling manager was on the Derry sideline giving encouragement and support and I would say they had been training a lot longer than the Antrim squad. And we wonder why Antrim is the way it is.  If no-one wanted to coach you (and everyone was aware of that via social media) how else did we expect those kids to play.  The people that should have helped and didn't stood by and watched one of Antrims worst performances that Iv seen.  The talent is there but nobody wanted to give their time. IMO

I agree with this. If you aren't prepared/can't put the effort into a team then in future I would like to see us pull out of this competition. That may seem drastic but it may give everyone a kick in the right direction.

theskull1

I dont understand this 'everyone' reference. Who are you talking to specifically?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

MoChara

The u21's are now getting scolded to return their jerseys from after the match if they want to avoid disciplinary action.

Milltown Row2

Do they deserve their jersey after one game?

Plenty giving off about no manager wanting to take the team here and with sound advice on how we could improve, but not actually willing to put their names forward and then blame the county board! Strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

old timers

Well MR2. If I was 40 yrs younger I'd gladly put my hat in the ring unfortunately time is not on my side but iv done my bit in my day.

As for the County Board being "blamed" who ultimately does the appointment of any County Manager(S) fall to?  It's not as though this was something that came out of the blue and No one was expecting this tournament to happen.  Do you think a few weeks training before a championship is good enough at any level?

As for the kids "deserving" jersey  Not too sure what you meant by that?  Would they have deserved a jersey after two matches? (Ulster final).  3 matches?   Is there a specific number. 

saffron89

I agree.  Plenty to criticise... fewer willing to put shoulder to the wheel.  Seems to be development officers taking teams as they can't really say no

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2017, 02:30:13 PM
Do they deserve their jersey after one game?

Plenty giving off about no manager wanting to take the team here and with sound advice on how we could improve, but not actually willing to put their names forward and then blame the county board! Strange
At what point do they earn their jersey, has this ever been clarified? Is there a minimum reward a county player can expect? Did the players take to the pitch last night to lose the game? Were they perhaps ill prepared?
Had training begun 10 weeks ago would the panel have attended where possible? I believe they would have as their record of attendance through all the age groups would back that up. Investing personal time and expense wanting nothing more in return than some county gear for their efforts. Any of the old farts that cant get over this need to finally realise once and for all that this is the No.1 motivator.
IMO we tripped over our arrogance yet again believing we would get over the line in Ulster and see if we could put up a performance against Kilkenny. Meanwhile Colly McGurk hadn't been taking things so lightly with his lads out playing us all over the field and deserving winners. Nor did Colly sit back and wait for an U21 manager to put his hand up, perhaps he saw some merit in maintaining development standards in the short term at least.
So this rumoured threat of sanction to the panellists who did not return their jerseys having been told to take them by the team management I find truly baffling. As a county we got what we deserved, is this the fault of the players?
Why does the CB continually seek to alienate this generation of players while failing them on so many levels. There was a Mexican army eventually looking after the U17/minors when it became apparent there was a whiff of success about them, no corners would be cut here. Mentors all jumping aboard knowing it would be a fairly easy ride. At the same time if its a less productive group the usual 2 man management team would be expected to just get through it and do what you can fobbing the players off when the embarrassing questions about gear start to arise. I personally found this one of the most annoying things I had to deal with as a development squad mentor ie. a fairly chunky disincentive for anyone to be volunteering to take these groups.

Minder

Yeah I was struck my the size of the team taking the u-17/minors, nearly as many on the backroom team as on the pitch
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"