Cavan v Donegal Ulster Final

Started by mrdeeds, June 11, 2019, 02:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: highorlow on June 23, 2019, 03:23:52 PM
FFS another 9 stepper for goal , game over. Another shit ref, Cavan turned over the ball earlier fair and square and he gives donegal a free out.

Yep Donegal and Kerry have greatly benefited from the referees this weekend.

armaghniac

You've got to admire Cian Mackey.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

highorlow

QuoteBrennan lost hold of the ball.

He took 9 steps prior to that. Doesn't matter Donegal always on top anyhow but it ruined the match from a neutral perspective.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

joemamas

Quote from: David McKeown on June 23, 2019, 03:28:09 PM
Quote from: highorlow on June 23, 2019, 03:23:52 PM
FFS another 9 stepper for goal , game over. Another shit ref, Cavan turned over the ball earlier fair and square and he gives donegal a free out.

Any ref who puts his finger to his lips in an attempt to embarrass a senior player shouldn't referee again this season. Respect is a two way street. The
[/quote

Funny I thought the same about the ref, you might do that in an U10 game , but at senior level, ?

J70

Quote from: highorlow on June 23, 2019, 03:32:48 PM
QuoteBrennan lost hold of the ball.

He took 9 steps prior to that. Doesn't matter Donegal always on top anyhow but it ruined the match from a neutral perspective.

I guess I'll have to look again.

I'm watching online, so saw your comment before the goal, and even watching for it I couldn't see the steps.

dublin7

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 23, 2019, 02:40:46 PM
Dirty act by Murphy. Made worse by the fact that he knew ball was going long, eyed up Galligan and rose the knee intentionally into him.

I thought it was a cowardly cheap shot and should have been red. Keeper had the ball when he jumped into him and the raised knee for me was unnecessary and the reason it should have beem red.
Donegal certainly benefiting from the ref today. Still the better team though

Captain Obvious

Donegal had that final won by half time but credit to Cavan they didn't throw the towel in went down fighting and won the 2nd half.

Main Street

Dominant display by Donegal from beginning to end, very impressive though allowed Cavan to keep racking up scores.
How it took 65 mins for Conor Lane to spot a throw ball by a Donegal player is astonishing.

macdanger2

Some decent scores but not a great game to watch as the result wasn't in doubt from early on

cavanmaniac

Well done and congratulations to Donegal, by far the better and more composed side, and exerted full control from pillar to post - or retook it easily when it mattered.

Cavan looked extremely nervy from the off and were a world away from the team that played in earlier rounds. Very subdued, no fire in the belly until Donegal eased off, seemingly perplexed by the conundrum in front of them and never really went for it with the exception of the sub Murray. No shame losing to Donegal with their match winners all over the park but Cavan didn't seem to have any belief at all. Hopefully it was just the occasion getting to them and they can pick it up to make the super 8s because that would represent a very fine season overall. Very weirdly flat performance but it's a good learning experience and the season need not end on this low note.

I always wonder about Galligan in the goals too, great shot stopper but any time I see Cavan his kick outs are very, very patchy and he seems no better than 50-50 off frees too.

Well done Donegal, good luck for the rest of the season.

Rudi

Cavan shit the nest, Donegal full of big strong men looked good. Second best in the country at moment.

Wildweasel74

That game looked a classic in comparison to the dubs game which followed

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rudi on June 23, 2019, 04:20:12 PM
Cavan shit the nest, Donegal full of big strong men looked good. Second best in the country at moment.

We'll have them in the long grass of Ballybofey once again, in the Semis, even if it's shorn beforehand! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

J70

Not many would have predicted two Ulster titles out of two for Bonner when he took over. Shaping into a very effective team full of speed, physical strength, size and scoring power. We should have won that game by at least ten points, but we got sloppy with about ten minutes left and let Cavan put a gloss on the score.

It's a shame the team is coming of age in the era of this Dublin team as there isn't a realistic chance of being a legitimate All Ireland challenger over the couple of years.

Looking forward to Kerry in Croke Park. No reason we shouldn't give them a good game.

Hard luck Cavan. Definitely looked like the occasion got to them, that along with Donegal's physical and speed advantages, but the experience should stand them in good stead going forward. There's no guarantees though - we made three Ulster finals in the 2000s and lost all three to Armagh.

orangeman

2016 and getting beaten shows you the firepower / running power / decision making of the Donegal team.

Kerry and Donegal super 8 game is in Croke Park ? Should be interesting tussle.