The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omochain

Quote from: Gmac on February 17, 2021, 04:35:32 PM
Quote from: omochain on February 17, 2021, 04:29:25 PM
Quote from: Gmac on February 17, 2021, 03:59:48 PM
Quote from: omochain on February 17, 2021, 02:49:12 AM
Just watching President Biden's town hall. What a huge upgrade on the "former guy". He was Empathetic and knowledgeable. He answered the questions competently relying on science and fact based truth to support his positions. What a refreshing change from the "former guy". Not bad for a "sleepy" old dude.
softball after softball did anyone ask
Why is he not taking the calls with Trudeau and macron letting Harris do it instead
Why is he releasing illegal immigrants into the country who are not tested for the virus.
Why is he signing executive orders like a king .
Why is he in bed at 9pm ( know the answer)
Why is he burning an open fire if he's so worried about climate change .
Why can't he get the vaccine out more quickly.
Judging by what's happening in Texas and happens every year in California how can we go completely green without storage capacity or diversity of sources.
I'm sure he said a few here's the deal and you went to bed happy ,enjoy .

You need to get those Murdoch media worms out of your head. I highly recommend a good tr**p up the PG&E trail at Rancho San Antonio. You will get a constant reminder about the inadequacy of Energy companies but be compensated by some Great Views of Silicon Valley and The Bay
his state media will cover for him as long as they can as for hikes it's 8-30'and Gavin needs his taxes so back to work .

Serious bit of projection there. You really need to take a half day for yourself. Gavin can forego the taxes for a half day😜

J70

Quote from: Gmac on February 17, 2021, 05:06:55 PM
Great to see everyone running to IRISH joe Biden's defense

While you're reduced to outrage about the fact that he goes to bed at 9pm.

It's something, I guess! ;D

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on February 17, 2021, 01:01:09 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 17, 2021, 06:23:49 AM
Quote from: J70 on February 16, 2021, 04:25:27 PM
Quote from: Gmac on February 16, 2021, 02:40:24 PM
J70 will you be joining in in the new performance street art the mayor is  starting with his open culture initiative ? You guys are blessed with him and cuomo .

Never heard of it.

Let me guess - its all over Fox News.

Conservatives get outraged about the weirdest sh1t.

I looked it up, and I actually had seen this story in passing last week, but it seemed so inconsequential and harmless to me that I moved on and forgot about it straight away.

I guess I must be missing something.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/08/ny-to-host-pop-up-shows-to-boost-arts-industry-amid-covid/

What exactly is the scandal here? Is there anyone not on my ignore list who speaks Conservatese who can tell me what the outrage is about?

johnnycool

What's the story with the Texas power outages?

Is there not a sort of "national grid" in the US or is it state by state?

J70

Quote from: johnnycool on February 18, 2021, 09:19:54 AM

The story is NOT the green new deal and AOC, as the Texas governor and Fox News would have you believe. Wind turbines work perfectly well in cold conditions... when they're set up to do so. As does all the other power production equipment such as pipelines and pumps that failed.

But when everything is deregulated and all that matters is the bottom line and you rarely get extreme cold snaps so you don't plan for them, the shit hits the fan when you're not prepared.

And given the reality of climate change, Texas and everywhere else had better get prepared.

On the grid issue, I read somewhere that Texas has the means of production and enough consumption to allow them to be self-sufficient without needing to sell off excess power or bring in extra, so they're not hooked in to the outside, for the most part.

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 18, 2021, 05:00:55 AM
Burn in hell

Unfortunately, the damage he helped do will long outlive him. The unhinged, alternate right wing reality he was so instrumental in creating is not going anywhere.

FFS, only two months ago he was helping drive the "Release the Kraken" voter-fraud fraud, because, according to him, there was no way Sidney Powell and Giuliani would be making all these wild claims without actual, er, evidence (that turned out well). More recently, he was still using the stolen election fantasy to defend the Capitol rioters and comparing them to Revolutionary War figures.

dec

There are 2 major grids, Western and Eastern Interconnection, but Texas has it's own grid. El Paso in the very west of Texas is part of the Western Interconnection and has kept the power on.

Eamonnca1

Texas deregulated and took away all incentives to put in preventive measures for this sort of thing. They actually had backups in place but they removed them to save money. Winterizing equipment is required in all states except for Texas. Renewables account for less than 20% of electricity generation in the state, so this is a failure of conventional power plants.

I'd refer you to Ted Cruz but he's away to Cancun on holiday.

Eamonnca1

Gmac

Texas is full of oil and natural gas why are they relying on wind ? Jr Ewing will be turning in his grave .

J70

Quote from: Gmac on February 18, 2021, 10:14:11 PM
Texas is full of oil and natural gas why are they relying on wind ? Jr Ewing will be turning in his grave .

They're not relying on wind.

It's 7% of their power production.

Main Street

jesus wept :D
some people willingly consume crap, regurgitate it and eat it again and repeat (ad nauseaum)
How about trying a filter, call it the base level Fox filter, specially designed  for the average IQ of a Fox  news consumer. One just says to oneself,  hmm maybe this time Fox is trying to peddle a porky, maybe just for a lark, for the first time in my life  I'll do a web search and see if this Fox news claim passes muster. Albeit I truely believe everything other than Fox is fake news  but just this one time I will take a peek, dip a toe in the pool etc.

Gmac

Quote from: Main Street on February 18, 2021, 11:48:16 PM
jesus wept :D
some people willingly consume crap, regurgitate it and eat it again and repeat (ad nauseaum)
How about trying a filter, call it the base level Fox filter, specially designed  for the average IQ of a Fox  news consumer. One just says to oneself,  hmm maybe this time Fox is trying to peddle a porky, maybe just for a lark, for the first time in my life  I'll do a web search and see if this Fox news claim passes muster. Albeit I truely believe everything other than Fox is fake news  but just this one time I will take a peek, dip a toe in the pool etc.
Fox News blah blah your so far up your hole you can't tell serious post from a satirical one
J70 the same I'd say ye boys be some Laugh on a night out .

whitey

I was talking to someone today who has lived in TX for 10 years

According to her, the problem is that the grid in Texas was not built to withstand a once in 100 year Ice Storm. They took shortcuts and got caught out

She also claimed that when they have just regular freezing rain, the wind turbines stop working because they become too heavy to turn.