Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsenior

Lee Brennan played for Trillick this evening! Dropped out of Tyrone panel this morning!

tyrone08

Quote from: stillsenior on May 18, 2019, 08:03:25 PM
Lee Brennan played for Trillick this evening! Dropped out of Tyrone panel this morning!

Was wondering what was the story with Lee. Thought he played well last year at times and with Tyrone playing more direct football I thought it would suit a player like Lee or Bradley feeding off mcshane or mattie.

Angelo

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 18, 2019, 08:26:07 PM

Was wondering what was the story with Lee. Thought he played well last year at times and with Tyrone playing more direct football I thought it would suit a player like Lee or Bradley feeding off mcshane or mattie.

He's behind McCurry and McAliskey in the bench options now so I can understand his frustration at not getting minutes but at the same time I don't think he has proven enough to get in ahead of any of these players at the minute. Was it a case of him dropping himself off the panel or being dropped for playing with Trillick?

With Ronan O'Neill off the panel as well as Bradley taking the year out, it does make us a little lighter up top. Will Mickey think about adding another attacking option to the squad?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tyrone08

Quote from: Angelo on May 19, 2019, 09:05:57 AM

He's behind McCurry and McAliskey in the bench options now so I can understand his frustration at not getting minutes but at the same time I don't think he has proven enough to get in ahead of any of these players at the minute. Was it a case of him dropping himself off the panel or being dropped for playing with Trillick?

With Ronan O'Neill off the panel as well as Bradley taking the year out, it does make us a little lighter up top. Will Mickey think about adding another attacking option to the squad?

Surely these lads should have been given at least some game time in the league. Not to be disrespectful but the game against antrim would be perfect for them to show their worth.

The very real danger is that injuries to mcshane will cause major problems. Mcaliskey can be a threat but still not impressed with mccurry. In a tight game I don't think he can do it. Hopefully he will prove me wrong as he is very skillful but always struck me as a player who needs a bit of space which you won't get against the top teams.

Angelo

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 19, 2019, 09:46:33 AM

Surely these lads should have been given at least some game time in the league. Not to be disrespectful but the game against antrim would be perfect for them to show their worth.

The very real danger is that injuries to mcshane will cause major problems. Mcaliskey can be a threat but still not impressed with mccurry. In a tight game I don't think he can do it. Hopefully he will prove me wrong as he is very skillful but always struck me as a player who needs a bit of space which you won't get against the top teams.

As Tyrone were trying to develop something during the league, they probably wanted to persist with it. Think the only game Brennan was minutes were against Mayo where he got a full 70. The problem for Tyrone is we lots of very skilful, classy forwards of small stature but they most you can probably fit into a team at any time is 2 and right now the inside options we are using are working out for us and Brennan is third in line of the inside forwards on the bench.

From what I've seen I think I would have Bradley, McAliskey and McCurry ahead of him. You can argue he hasn't been giving enough time but he hasn't exactly made a stellar case when he has been given some minutes, sometimes he has been very good - like Donegal last year and other times he has been very poor like Monaghan last year.

Irrespective of the issues behind it, I would have a big problem with lads stepping away from the panel mid championship. It's something you commit to for the year and over the past 3 or 4 seasons we have had loads of players walk away at a big point in the season - McCurry left last year because he was frustrated in not getting minutes but had he stuck around he would have been offered a golden chance to state his case given the injuries Brennan and Bradley picked up against Monaghan.

It's the same with Brennan, he has plenty of time to change the manager's mind this season and plenty of time to make a big claim. For 2-3 months he should be sticking it out for me and then make a decision next year.

stillsenior

Omagh captain was told at toss that he had withdrawn from panel

sam03/05

Brennan finished top scorer in the National League Div 1 last season despite not even starting in two of the games. Not sure what else he could do really. He's a class wee player and even for frees alone he's worth it.  I'd have expected him to start v Antrim so it's  verydisappointing that he's left the squad.
We have very little back up in the forwards now
McShane playing well but not a natural inside forward same with Mattie
- McCurry and skeet  all we have left.
The three most natural forwards in the county no longer in the squad
Bradley / Brennan & O'Neill

Angelo

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 19, 2019, 12:12:07 PM
Brennan finished top scorer in the National League Div 1 last season despite not even starting in two of the games. Not sure what else he could do really. He's a class wee player and even for frees alone he's worth it.  I'd have expected him to start v Antrim so it's  verydisappointing that he's left the squad.
We have very little back up in the forwards now
McShane playing well but not a natural inside forward same with Mattie
- McCurry and skeet  all we have left.
The three most natural forwards in the county no longer in the squad
Bradley / Brennan & O'Neill

That was last year, he got a good run in the league, he started the Championship opener before an injury ruled him until the Donegal game where he made a huge impact off the bench. He started the subsequent semi final match against Monaghan where he had a stinker and came off the bench in the final where he did not have any impact.

Brennan is a young guy, he has lots of talent but the game has changed and not many forwards of his size player for the top sides. He didn't really get much of a look in with the league this year but it's early in the summer and I'd like to have seen show a little bit more fight and look to force his way into the plans.

The writing was on the wall for O'Neill, he's 27 now I think and seems to be regressing if anything, I think that cruciate injury early in his career has had a massive impact in curtailing him much like it did for his club mate Conor Clarke. Brennan still has what it takes to make an impact from county level but I know he's a maverick player with wonderful natural skills - that alone won't really cut it anymore, you need to have a work ethic and desire to match it.

We've now lost R Sludden (dropped), O'Neill, Bradley and Brennan (opted out), Ronan McHugh (injured) from our forward options from last year.

We're definitely light in that regard but we have been playing without a natural forward so far this season and it actually seems to have improved our style of play and efficiency up front so as talented and all as these lads may be, they don't seem to be able to impact on the modern game. Bradley is by far the biggest loss of the three however and I think he is genuinely up to operating at the top level, he has the type of resolve and toughness I don't O'Neill and Brennan have.

I think Harte will have to call up another forward now just to give us some additional options, perhaps Emmett McNabb or Paul Donaghy from last year's u20s might be worth a look.

Angelo

NotedObserver

Quote from: Angelo on May 19, 2019, 01:35:11 PM
Is Conan Grugan still involved?

Is Harry Loughran still about also?

southtyronegael

Very disappointed to hear Lee has left the panel. Not totally surprised though as if I had to sit and watch Peter harte and niall sludden totally anonymous against Derry and not get to replace either of them then I'd be pissed too.

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 19, 2019, 03:46:53 PM
Very disappointed to hear Lee has left the panel. Not totally surprised though as if I had to sit and watch Peter harte and niall sludden totally anonymous against Derry and not get to replace either of them then I'd be pissed too.

Harte was our top scorer during the league and MOTM in at least two games during the league.

Lee Brennan for all the hype hasn't fully impressed when given the chance, I'm disappointed he didn't stick it out as the season is early and opportunities would likely have prevented itself.

Guys like Hampsey, Burns, Cassidy and Richie Donnelly are some of the players who have shown that if you stick it out you will get your chance.

southtyronegael

So Peter harte can't be subbed no matter how bad he plays? Wise up man.

tyrone08

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 19, 2019, 04:35:29 PM

I think I can recall 1 game when Peter was subbed. Its a bit unreal to be honest. One major fault of mickeys is his loyalty to certain players. Top managers have no issue with subbing poor performing players.

Lee didn't really get a run of games to impress. He got a few sub appearances and had a poor game when he did start but thought the promise he showed that he deserved a run of games

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 19, 2019, 04:35:29 PM

You are talking about Brennan not getting game time ahead of Harte and Sludden.

a) Brennan is a completely different type of player to Harte and Sludden
b) Brennan is/was currently behind McCurry and McAliskey who he is a more similar type of player

We need more from Peter Harte and Sludden than we're getting at the minute but the bottom line is they have been huge players for us over the past few years and have came up trumps for us in big games. They are two of our best players so you generally don't sub your most threathening players, bad game or not.

Mickey probably does cut Petey some more slack than he might do other players but you can understand that because of the class he has.

Lee Brennan's problem is that for the modern game, he lacks the size and mobility to make him undroppable and I think he lacks the work rate and resolve to give a management team reasons to rely on him.