Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on April 30, 2019, 12:15:04 AM
Quote from: superstar_ on April 29, 2019, 08:32:40 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on April 29, 2019, 11:59:31 AM
Some display by Darragh kavanagh yesterday. Kicked 1-13. Would have been interesting to see him get a bit of county football to see if he up to it.
As the old story goes. Im sure the next time Tyrone are playing Greencastle they will give Darragh a call..

As predictable as ever someone would trot out with this line.  Has Canavan Junior did much in his young career so far to warrant his trial in the McKenna Cup/in the panel?  A few excellent u17 performances and a good late D1 league campaign - wouldnt have the biggest physique either -

as a side note I think that he isnt built for County football argument is one of the stupidest about.  Eoin Murchan from Dublin is 5 foot 6 and maybe 10 or 11 stone ffs and looked more than capable in the 2 games Tyrone played against Dublin last year - in fact his absolutely roasted sludden (who had arguable been Tyrone player of the campaign up to the Super 8 stages) in the game in healy park

Absolutely fair point - but Murchan is a spoiler - Kavanagh would be there to do the scoring. Tyrone could only ever play Kavanagh how he plays for the club, he would be too easily gobbled up IMO. But the point you make is very fair, size isn't everything, but picking matchups is - especially if Tyrone revert to type and play the running game, there is no chance he could make an impact as the odds are stacked against the inside man as is, in the modern game.

The Bearded One

Some display by Darragh kavanagh yesterday. Kicked 1-13. Would have been interesting to see him get a bit of county football to see if he up to it.
As the old story goes. Im sure the next time Tyrone are playing Greencastle they will give Darragh a call..

As predictable as ever someone would trot out with this line.  Has Canavan Junior did much in his young career so far to warrant his trial in the McKenna Cup/in the panel?  A few excellent u17 performances and a good late D1 league campaign - wouldnt have the biggest physique either -

as a side note I think that he isnt built for County football argument is one of the stupidest about.  Eoin Murchan from Dublin is 5 foot 6 and maybe 10 or 11 stone ffs and looked more than capable in the 2 games Tyrone played against Dublin last year - in fact his absolutely roasted sludden (who had arguable been Tyrone player of the campaign up to the Super 8 stages) in the game in healy park

My point was that he doesn't have the size or physical presence to play the way he plays as an out and out inside scoring forward. He wouldn't count in the inter-county game, he would be easily tamed in my opinion.
It is what it is. Presumably.

southtyronegael

I think we actually need a smaller, quick forward who can play off Mc Shane or whoever the target man is. Darragh kavanagh playing off Aiden Cassidy for augher last year worked a treat.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: The Bearded One on April 30, 2019, 09:25:06 AM

My point was that he doesn't have the size or physical presence to play the way he plays as an out and out inside scoring forward. He wouldn't count in the inter-county game, he would be easily tamed in my opinion.

would the same be true then for Canavan Jnr?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

The Bearded One

Time will tell, Canavan doesn't appear to be 'yella' which is a good start when you have a smaller frame. From what I have saw of Canavan to date, it appears he doesn't need to be stuck inside to cause damage, whereas Kavanagh does. Not disputing Kavanagh's ability, just not county standard for me.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Oghams Law

Watched kavanagh play on several occassions when Augher were in grade 1. He didnt give some of the best defenders at club level too much difficulty let alone county level. Decent player though the kind that could rack up a good score against a team bottom of div 2

southtyronegael

Quote from: The Bearded One on April 30, 2019, 10:11:34 AM
Time will tell, Canavan doesn't appear to be 'yella' which is a good start when you have a smaller frame. From what I have saw of Canavan to date, it appears he doesn't need to be stuck inside to cause damage, whereas Kavanagh does. Not disputing Kavanagh's ability, just not county standard for me.
IL go back to my original point, would it not have been better to give kavanagh a shot in Mc Kenna cup rather than the 2 18 yr olds who realistically were always gonna go back to u20s. Kavanagh good age at 24/25.

southtyronegael

Quote from: Oghams Law on April 30, 2019, 10:45:50 AM
Watched kavanagh play on several occassions when Augher were in grade 1. He didnt give some of the best defenders at club level too much difficulty let alone county level. Decent player though the kind that could rack up a good score against a team bottom of div 2
fair point but was probably only 20 when augher were in div 1 last. In my opinion a far better footballer now. A

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 30, 2019, 10:52:56 AM
fair point but was probably only 20 when augher were in div 1 last. In my opinion a far better footballer now. A

With all due respect I think it would have been a waste of time. I don't think he offers us anything we don't have there already. I think Emmet McNabb has a bit more than Kavanagh but light, skilful forwards is something Tyrone have to a point of saturation right now and the modern game does not really cater for them.

With regards Canavan, he is one for the future and I'm happy he has reverted back to the u20s. Hopefully the few months he and Murnaghan had with the senior side this year will aid their development.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Angelo on April 30, 2019, 06:53:50 PM

With all due respect I think it would have been a waste of time. I don't think he offers us anything we don't have there already. I think Emmet McNabb has a bit more than Kavanagh but light, skilful forwards is something Tyrone have to a point of saturation right now and the modern game does not really cater for them.

With regards Canavan, he is one for the future and I'm happy he has reverted back to the u20s. Hopefully the few months he and Murnaghan had with the senior side this year will aid their development.

Who would want skillful forwards...

Angelo

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 02, 2019, 12:32:48 PM

Unless they carry the physical presence and pace then they are wasting their time. See the likes of Ronan O'Neill and how obsolete his type of player now is.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Angelo on May 02, 2019, 04:22:13 PM

Unless they carry the physical presence and pace then they are wasting their time. See the likes of Ronan O'Neill and how obsolete his type of player now is.

Stick to rugby then. I'd have Ronan O'Neill on my squad any day.

Angelo

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 03, 2019, 11:00:15 AM

Then you lose. O'Neill has had more than enough chances with Tyrone, sadly he doesn't have the speed or size to make an impact at the elite level in the modern game.

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on May 03, 2019, 06:28:44 PM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 03, 2019, 11:00:15 AM

Then you lose. O'Neill has had more than enough chances with Tyrone, sadly he doesn't have the speed or size to make an impact at the elite level in the modern game.
Angelo who were you on here before you became Angelo,
Bomber or a different disciple?

blewuporstuffed

Sundays games all moved to 6& 7.30pm?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either