End of an era as Curley's is sold to Sainbury's

Started by Guillem2, January 16, 2008, 10:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillem2

[url][http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7190661.stm/url]

A sad day for local business and a sad day for competition in the grocery trade.

Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Minder

It is a dirty h*le, how many fines have they had for health and safety breaches? Good riddance.......The off license is good though, go in there on a Saturday night and you may be under the impression the world is about to end.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Guillem2 on January 16, 2008, 10:43:02 AM
[url][http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7190661.stm/url]

A sad day for local business and a sad day for competition in the grocery trade.

Agreed Guillem2, the last major independant retailer in the Six counties - now gone!
Tbc....

Donagh

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 16, 2008, 01:56:17 PM

Agreed Guillem2, the last major independant retailer in the Six counties - now gone!

I'm sure Longs in Derry, Moores in Coleraine, Hendersons (who own Spar, Vivo and VG), J&J (aka Mace), Costcutters and a load more I don't know off might differ. Never seen the attraction of Curley's supermarket - you were never exactly spoilt for choice in it.

Minder

Quote from: Donagh on January 16, 2008, 02:34:39 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 16, 2008, 01:56:17 PM

I'm sure Longs in Derry, Moores in Coleraine, Hendersons (who own Spar, Vivo and VG), J&J (aka Mace), Costcutters and a load more I don't know off might differ. Never seen the attraction of Curley's supermarket - you were never exactly spoilt for choice in it.

Have to agree Donagh, have never been in it more than a couple of times, the hygiene wasnt its strongest point. The only winner, other than the Kennedys, will be the consumer, Asda, Lidl and Sainsburys within a stones throw of each other. Alas i believe the current staff are being kept on so the unique interaction between customer and staff will hopefully remain......(Customer) - "Could you possibly tell me where i may find the tinned fruit?" (Staff member) "How the f*ck should i know"......or words to that effect.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Donagh

Twas a bit bogging alright. In fairness though when your man Magan was travelling round the country speaking only Irish, I think Curley's was the only supermarket that had someone willing to use the cúpla focal for him. Wonder how long Sainsbury's will keep the Irish language signage?

saffron

Didnt hear it was closing cant say I'm sorry - seemed to me that every time I was there I had to listen to some mill bag squealing at some child calling them all the names of the day and slapping the life out of them.

ziggysego

What's the big deal? I'm sure if the shop wasn't in Belfast, the BBC wouldn't be reporting it.
Testing Accessibility

An Fear Rua

I spent two happy years "working" in Curleys Dungannon, The trolleys, the Stock room  ;), the fruit and veg and best of all christmas in the off licence, we lifted over 25k on christmas eve 1991, the mood was enhanced by half the staff being hammered on the free samlples.
Its Grim up North

SouthArmaghBandit

Curley fed West Belfast through the dark days of the troubles when Tesco, Asda & Sainsbury were nowhere to be seen.

gerry

sad to see another sellout to a multi national company.  but blame no one but ourselves who vote with our feet when we do our shopping in these supermarkets.  with curleys being local they bought and spent local. sainsbury's will buy mostly from uk and give their profits to their shareholders.  curleys as you say was dirty, sainsburys will be cleaner and dearer.

its like the chicken we eat (£2) and the clothes we wear (suit in asda £15) as long  as the price is right, who cares how it got there.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

SouthArmaghBandit

gerry

asda, jacket and trousers. perfect for weddings when you get langered and take of your jacket and forgot where you put it.

http://www.george.com/browse/15-mens-suit/product-9084/
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Orior

I miss Woolworths, Wellworths, Stewarts, and Crazy Prices.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

SouthArmaghBandit

And Supermac? Anderson & McAuley's, Sinclair's?