Premiership All Time Transfer Stats

Started by Dinny Breen, January 15, 2008, 11:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

QuoteGreatest all time signing for me has to be William Prunier & Kezman deserves a mention if he hasnt been already.

Prunier was only on trial/loan, recommended by Eric.

Sidwell came on a free did he not?

I love all the posts on Nani.  He has shown glimpses of his talent, and he has the raw talent that Ronaldo had when he first arrrived.  I'm sure Fergie is simply nurturing him for next season.  It takes time for players to settle in the premiership, especially young players of similar style to Nani.  His goal against Spurs and his other one against Boro were amazing.

As for biggest waste of money, you can't look much further than the likes of Shevchenko and SWP, combined total of £55 odd million and a paltry return in the form of goals, assists and overall contribution.  Veron is another one, along with Rebrov and Cisse.  Harry Kewell must be up there too.  His medical costs alone would probably cost a fortune.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

behind the wire

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 15, 2008, 05:18:49 PM
OK - Sunderland overpaid for their goalie but he's not a turkey. I think he'll prove to be a good buy long term. He's young and quite a good keeper. If they'd paid say £6-7m for him then it would be a good deal. I wouldn't be entirely sure Roy could be totally blamed for the price though maybe you know better.

The next highest priced player bought last summer was Richardson who has played only a handful of games due to injury and has scored 3 goals. Again, I think he will prove a good buy. When playing regularly (as he did when on loan in a similar situation with WBA a couple of years ago) he is quite a decent player and actually made the England squad back then scoring on his debut. At £5.5m I'd say a bargain. Not Keane's fault the lad got injured. That's almost half the "wasted" £30m accounted for. There have been one or two duds alright abd a few journeymen given chances to resurrect their careers that they may not be capable of taking.

On Nani - I think Dinny is a bit harsh. I do not think he will turn out to be another Ronaldo but I can see him being quite a good player in time to come. I'd say "too early to judge".

kenwne(sp) jones was keanes most expensive signing until the goalie as far as i know. think he paid 6m for him. in my opinion money well spent. i think he is one of the best forwards in the league. would love to see him play in a good team. imagine someone like beckham providing the crosses for him?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

his holiness nb

Not in the English premiership but do ye remember Real Betis breaking the world transfer record for striker Denilson who got either none or one goal that season.
Ask me holy bollix

Minder

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 16, 2008, 10:29:32 AM
Not in the English premiership but do ye remember Real Betis breaking the world transfer record for striker Denilson who got either none or one goal that season.

He now plays for the Dallas team in the MLS, managed by Norn Irons own Steve Morrow (of broken shoulder fame)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

his holiness nb

Quote from: Minder on January 16, 2008, 10:42:11 AM

He now plays for the Dallas team in the MLS, managed by Norn Irons own Steve Morrow (of broken shoulder fame)

Remember the shoulder thing well, the Owls are my favourite team.
Ask me holy bollix

Square Ball

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 16, 2008, 10:57:35 AM
Quote from: Minder on January 16, 2008, 10:42:11 AM

Remember the shoulder thing well, the Owls are my favourite team.

he fell of a donkey
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Rav67

Quote from: An Fear Rua on January 15, 2008, 12:29:38 PM
More good value

Dennis Irwin 1.5 mil from Oldham
Steve Bruce £825,000 from Norwich
Gary Pallister £2.3 Mil from Boro

I think someone mentioned this but you have to put the money paid in the context of the time.  I started following soccer around the 92/93 season and Pallister still held the record British fee for a defender and he had been bought a few years previous, which at the time was a British record for any position I think.  After the ridiculous inflation in transfer fees in the following seasons it looks like more of a value signing than it actually was.

J70

Quote from: Rav67 on January 16, 2008, 11:22:46 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on January 15, 2008, 12:29:38 PM
More good value

Dennis Irwin 1.5 mil from Oldham
Steve Bruce £825,000 from Norwich
Gary Pallister £2.3 Mil from Boro

I think someone mentioned this but you have to put the money paid in the context of the time.  I started following soccer around the 92/93 season and Pallister still held the record British fee for a defender and he had been bought a few years previous, which at the time was a British record for any position I think.  After the ridiculous inflation in transfer fees in the following seasons it looks like more of a value signing than it actually was.

A year or two before that, Liverpool had got Peter Beardsley and John Barnes for about the same total fee that United paid for Pallister.

David McKeown

I think denilson got 1 goal in his first 4 seasons at betts and anelka only 1 possibly 2 goals for real Madrid
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

girt_giggler

I agree that Hyypia was a bargain, although he is past it now in my opinion. His replacement (Agger) bought for about £5/£6M also looks like a good bit of business in terms of todays market prices. Marcus Babbel for Liverpool i think on a free transfer, excellent signing, unfortunatley his illness cut short his anfield career.

Other good signing that spring to mind are

Arteta - Sociedad to Everton - £2M
Cahill (already mentioned)
Friedel (Liverpool - Blackburn - FREE)
Henry (Juve-Arsenal - £10/£11M i think)
Berbatov ( - Spurs), _£10M odd.
David James (Man City - Portsmouth - £1.5m ish i think)