Walsh Cup

Started by Lecale2, January 14, 2008, 08:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pebble-dasher

It would be interesting to see both antrim and kilkenny's starting fifteen.  Even more astonishing with no dunloy players yet in the antrim set up

Hurler on the Bitch

I think it was 1992 - October time in the league (that was of course in the days before the Cats, Clare, Cork and Waterford left the rest in their wake .)..before that it was 1943 at Corrigan AIQF ... still a wins a win and I am cracking a tin of beer open tonight..

Hurler on the Bitch

Just a mention though that I heard the half-time score on RTE radio at 3.00 and the presenter Eames went something this..."Cats were in Dubai .. still jaded ... not training ... experimental team.... FECK SAKE ADRIAN! GIVE THE ANTRIM LADS SOME CREDIT!!!! I see Aertel IS NOT EVEN GIVING THE RESULT. and BBC NI -don't ask...

slow corner back

According to the leinster council website Antrim will now play the winners of UCD v Dublin in Dublin next sunday. How did this match finish it had a 3.30 throw in, presumably under lights, I cannot find the result on GAA.ie

Hurler on the Bitch

Antrim v UCD don't wanna count chickens .... but ...... is that a semifinal...?

Lecale2

Offaly v Down was postponed due to a water-logged pitch.

Minder

They will be asking for Codys head after this.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Lecale2

RESULTS- WALSH CUP:

Kilkenny 1-17 Antrim 2-15
Wexford 1-15 Laois 0-15

laoisgaa

I'd the fortune of attending the Antrim/Kilkenny game today and I have to say there was very little wrong with Antrim's style of play, physicality and general scoring and this game will certainly stand them well for the remainder of the year. It's a young Antrim team but something tells me that we may see them make there way to the final. They face a UCD side who offer plenty of youth and skill also and this should be a cracking semi-final wherever it is played next weekend

Here are the teams and scorers from Freshford today for the record.

Kilkenny: PJ Ryan; S Cummins, B Hogan, J Tyrrell; J Dalton, PJ Delaney (0-1, 1 '65'), J Ryall (0-1); R Mullally (0-1), W Dwyer; P Cleere, R Power (0-9, 0-8f), A Fogarty (0-2); E McCormack (1-0), E Brennan (0-2), R Hogan (0-1). Subs: E McGrath for Cleere (48 mins), D Fogarty for Dwyer (63).

Antrim: R McGarry (0-1); A Graffin, N McGarry, S Delargy; C Herron, M McCambridge, K Elliott (0-1); K McKeegan (1-1), D Hamill; N McManus (0-1), L Watson (1-8, 0-4f, 2 '65'), P McGill; S McCrory (0-1), C Donnelly, S McNaughton (0-1). Subs: M Kettle for N McGarry, K Stewart (0-1) for Donnelly (both half-time), C Duffin for McNaughton (64 mins).

Referee: Tony Carroll (Offaly)

Aristotle Flynn

Good result for Antrim alright! Well done.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Hurler on the Bitch

Well, that's it... the worm has turned ... first Sunday in September it is then. I would start sending email around the banks now looking for tickets. But seriously, no nonsense, well done lads. The fact is that Sambo and Woody must have kept the squad fit over the last few months -  but probably a false dawn. And I should know, for I have seen some false Saffron dawns in my time..

Minder

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on January 20, 2008, 10:12:17 PM
Well, that's it... the worm has turned ... first Sunday in September it is then. I would start sending email around the banks now looking for tickets. But seriously, no nonsense, well done lads. The fact is that Sambo and Woody must have kept the squad fit over the last few months -  but probably a false dawn. And I should know, for I have seen some false Saffron dawns in my time..

Aye we will enjoy it while it lasts, i hope the players/management use th result in the right way and not think they have it made. There will probably be some heavy beatings in the league to look forward to and a thumping by Galway in the championship.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Glensman

Be off with you with your pessimism (realism) Minder.
Where exactly are you from?

I have been there for countless false dawns...too many to discuss and too painful (I have no doubt that others on here have seen way more than me)...but each and every time there is that little thing that says just maybe.

We will not win an All Ireland...we will arguably not get into an All Ireland Semi Final but for flip sake have a dream.

I hope my boss in the morning has the same dream dream.

Glensman

I did sing it at my Christmas party for him.  He wouldn't exactly have known all the words...

If that fails I'll dig out the scrap book from the build up to the 1989 final that me and the brother compiled.

It would make a grown man weep (it does now and again).

Tony Baloney

Minder leave the pessimism at the door. This a good result for Antrim and will be a morale booster for the team early in the year even though it is highly likely that they'll get tanked a few times over the next 6 months. Having said that I'm suprised Karl McKeegan had the energy to score a goal with all his media commitments over the past week  ;)