The 2008 US Election thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 04, 2008, 02:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Obama
McCain

AZOffaly

QuoteI'm  a bit of a political junkie and the internal stuff is fascinating as well.

To a political 'junkie' or observer there is definitely a whole other facet, i.e. the internal politics, and in fact it should interest us because of the huge influence the American economy, consumer confidence, inflation etc has on our own day to day lives. Also the immigration issue and rights for the illegal Irish However, to most people, the US elections are whether another 'lunatic' Republican gets in and blows us all up is the more pressing consideration.

To be honest, I'm only getting into the race now, because I find the whole process very long, a bit like the MLB season really. The election itself in November will be compulsive viewing, but I haven't really been paying attention to policies, etc.

So far, in my limited viewing, it appears the Republican race is being run by about 8 lads who are all determined to be 'not Bush', but at the same time refuse to disagree with foreign policy, whereas the Democrats seem to be a bit like Fine Gael in our last election. They are all for 'change' (whatever that may be), but it's like trying to nail Jelly to a wall to get them to say what exactly they would change, and how.

In this day and age, with Internet and what have you, and a growing rump of malcontents (attrib- D.Farrell) in America, it would seem that the time is getting closer for an independent politician, with more centrist views, would have a good chance of causing an upset. Maybe Bloomberg would be that man?

Should make for an interesting few months though.

Billys Boots

If change was all it's cracked up to be, they'd have banned it years ago.  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

FL/MAYO

Obama made a very great speech in New Hampshire after his second place finish on Tuesday night. After watching Bush for the last 8 years it was refreshing to see a U.S politician finally makeing an enthusiastic speech.
The fact that he is staying away from the likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will make him more appealling to white voters. If he can keep the primaries or the election from becoming a white/black thing then he stands a better chance than I had previously thought.

Orior

I got this email from a Jew, urging me to pass it on. I wont, but I'd just like to peoples opinions on this kind of character attack. Is it accurate or not?

Who is Barack Obama?
Probable U. S. presidential candidate, Barack Hussein Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., a black MUSLIM from Nyangoma-Kogel, Kenya and Ann Dunham, a white ATHEIST from Wichita, Kansas.

Obama's parents met at the University of Hawaii. When Obama was two years old, his parents divorced. His father returned to Kenya. His mother then married Lolo Soetoro, a RADICAL Muslim from Indonesia.  When Obama was 6 years old, the family relocated to Indonesia. Obama attended a MUSLIM school in Jakarta. He also spent two years in a Catholic school.

Obama takes great care to conceal the fact that he is a Muslim. He is quick to point out that, "He was once a Muslim, but that he also attended Catholic school." Obama's political handlers are attempting to make it appear that that he is not a radical. Obama's Introduction to Islam came via his father, and that this influence was temporary at best. In reality, the senior Obama returned to Kenya soon after the divorce, and never again had any direct influence over his son's education. Lolo Soetoro, the second husband of Obama's mother, Ann Dunham, introduced his stepson to Islam. Obama was enrolled in a Wahabi school in Jakarta. Wahabism is the RADICAL teaching that is followed by the Muslim terrorists who are now waging Jihad against the western world. Since it is politically expedient to be a CHRISTIAN when seeking major public office in the United States,Barack Hussein Obama has joined the United Church of Christ in an attempt to downplay his Muslim background.

ALSO, keep in mind that when he was sworn into office he DID NOT use the Holy Bible, but instead the Koran. Barack Hussein Obama will NOT recite the Pledge of Allegiance nor will he show any reverence for our flag.  While others place their hands over their hearts, Obama turns his back to the flag and slouches. Let us all remain alert concerning Obama's expected presidential candidacy.

The Muslims have said they plan on destroying the US from the inside out, what better way to start than at the highest level - through the President of the United States, one of their own!!!! Please forward to everyone you know. Would you want this man leading our country?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Carmen Stateside

magickingdom

Quote from: Orior on January 10, 2008, 08:45:11 PM
I got this email from a Jew, urging me to pass it on. I wont, but I'd just like to peoples opinions on this kind of character attack. Is it accurate or not?

Who is Barack Obama?
Probable U. S. presidential candidate, Barack Hussein Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., a black MUSLIM from Nyangoma-Kogel, Kenya and Ann Dunham, a white ATHEIST from Wichita, Kansas.

Obama's parents met at the University of Hawaii. When Obama was two years old, his parents divorced. His father returned to Kenya. His mother then married Lolo Soetoro, a RADICAL Muslim from Indonesia.  When Obama was 6 years old, the family relocated to Indonesia. Obama attended a MUSLIM school in Jakarta. He also spent two years in a Catholic school.

Obama takes great care to conceal the fact that he is a Muslim. He is quick to point out that, "He was once a Muslim, but that he also attended Catholic school." Obama's political handlers are attempting to make it appear that that he is not a radical. Obama's Introduction to Islam came via his father, and that this influence was temporary at best. In reality, the senior Obama returned to Kenya soon after the divorce, and never again had any direct influence over his son's education. Lolo Soetoro, the second husband of Obama's mother, Ann Dunham, introduced his stepson to Islam. Obama was enrolled in a Wahabi school in Jakarta. Wahabism is the RADICAL teaching that is followed by the Muslim terrorists who are now waging Jihad against the western world. Since it is politically expedient to be a CHRISTIAN when seeking major public office in the United States,Barack Hussein Obama has joined the United Church of Christ in an attempt to downplay his Muslim background.

ALSO, keep in mind that when he was sworn into office he DID NOT use the Holy Bible, but instead the Koran. Barack Hussein Obama will NOT recite the Pledge of Allegiance nor will he show any reverence for our flag.  While others place their hands over their hearts, Obama turns his back to the flag and slouches. Let us all remain alert concerning Obama's expected presidential candidacy.

The Muslims have said they plan on destroying the US from the inside out, what better way to start than at the highest level - through the President of the United States, one of their own!!!! Please forward to everyone you know. Would you want this man leading our country?

obama better get used to that sh.t. i'm a big hillary fan but i will say if obama were to be elected (not a hope imo) i wonder would he finally stand up to the 'israeli lobby' (cant say jewish lobby anymore or ruairi quinn will have me down as a nazi). bugs the fcuk out of me that the US stands by anything israel does..

TacadoirArdMhacha

Was a good line in the Irish Times a few days ago. Said that the gutter attacks on Obama will reach a crescendo with somebody making a "slip of the tongue" and calling him Osama not Obama.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

heganboy

Fox news have already made that "mistake"
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

J70

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 10, 2008, 10:26:20 PM
Was a good line in the Irish Times a few days ago. Said that the gutter attacks on Obama will reach a crescendo with somebody making a "slip of the tongue" and calling him Osama not Obama.

That's been going on for more than a year. Curtis Sliwa, an NYC radio host and founder of a neighbourhood crime-watch group called the Guardian Angels refers to him as "Barak Obama, rhymes with Osama"! This is on WABC, the main NYC news/talk radio station, where he did the morning drive-time show until last month, and on NY1, the 24-hour local tv news station.

J70

Quote from: magickingdom on January 10, 2008, 10:17:08 PM

Who is Barack Obama?

obama better get used to that sh.t. i'm a big hillary fan but i will say if obama were to be elected (not a hope imo) i wonder would he finally stand up to the 'israeli lobby' (cant say jewish lobby anymore or ruairi quinn will have me down as a nazi). bugs the fcuk out of me that the US stands by anything israel does..

That sounds a bit like the crap that Bush's supporters (possibly originating with Karl Rove) came out with in South Carolina in 2000, starting an anonymous whispering campaign about John McCain, saying that he'd fathered an illegitimate black child.

dec

It is complete bullshit and is debunked quite well at Snopes. http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp

Unfortunately it will get passed around and believed by a lot of stupid Americans.

Puckoon

Hillary Wins the Nevada democratic Caucus with 51% of the vote.

stew

I want Obama to wint he democratic nomination, I want anyone to win before Clinton because I see her as the Thatcher of the . She has a past as sordid as her husbands and I cant stand the sight of her.

Obama is easily the most personable and enthuasistic candidate of them all however he has flown up through the ranks and is seen as politically naive and too inexperienced to become president. I think he would be a breath of fresh air and I would vote for him against any republician except McCain.

I can't believe I just said that. :-[
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Lecale2

McCain is looking good on the Republican side. It shows the lack of real talent coming through.

Minder

Quote from: stew on January 20, 2008, 06:47:32 PM
I want Obama to wint he democratic nomination, I want anyone to win before Clinton because I see her as the Thatcher of the . She has a past as sordid as her husbands and I cant stand the sight of her.

Obama is easily the most personable and enthuasistic candidate of them all however he has flown up through the ranks and is seen as politically naive and too inexperienced to become president. I think he would be a breath of fresh air and I would vote for him against any republician except McCain.

I can't believe I just said that. :-[

I remember reading somewhere that  Clinton may have been one of the sleaziest president in US history but also one of the best, does it really matter what he did in his private life if he was doing his job efficientley?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"