Started by Leg End, January 04, 2008, 12:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pick one and give a reason. Don't be bias as to who u support

C.Ronaldo
L.Messi
Kaka

Stagmeister

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 14, 2008, 06:28:47 PM
People can say what they like about Shearer but he was a brilliant soccer player and he made a fool out of Roy Keane  :)

Shearer is a Mammy's boy who won nothing...Keane is a lunatic who won everything...who's the fool

Shearer is definitely the most irritating premiership player of all time...typical english golden boy

An Fear Rua

I voted for KaKa as he has performed best in the last year, I believe Ronaldo will be eclipse his achievements in the very near future, Im not convinced it will be while he is at Old Trafford.
Its Grim up North

his holiness nb

Quote from: Stagmeister on January 15, 2008, 04:58:39 PM
Shearer is a Mammy's boy who won nothing...Keane is a lunatic who won everything...who's the fool

He did win the league. But still a p***k imo.
Ask me holy bollix

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2008, 08:17:08 AM
QuoteCarra is a better defender than Rio...Rio is a flair player,He has probably more raw footballing skills than Carra i would agree with that,and i fairness he gets the odd goal but he is also just as liable to f**k up and if you can't see that Carra is a better defender than Rio because remember defending is their primary job then you really do have the blinkers on..

Laoislad, it simply isn't possible to debate football with you, as you seemingly cannot take the blinkers off when it comes to Liverpool. Your frankly ridiculous argument can be flipped on its head ffs. Carragher would look an infinitely better player if he had someone of Ferdinand's ability alongside him, just the same way Vidic does. The sheer class of Ferdinand allows stoppers to get on solely with what what stoppers should do, i.e. disrupt play. They don't have to worry about things like organising a defence, or what happens when a ball is played over their head, or what to do if their keeper wants an outlet for a counter attack, or about the pace of the opposing forwards, as Rio is there to bail them out every time. I would sum them up as this: Ferdinand is truly a world class defender who would improve any team, Carragher is an extremely honest stopper who will nevr let you down.

I have no blinkers on Carragher is a much better defender than Rio Ferdinand and less likely to make the mistakes that Rio does.Carra doesn't need a Ferdinand beside him ffs its ferdinand who needs someone like Carra or Vidic beside him
Your entitled to your opinion but don't be trying to be little me by telling me i can't hold a debate on football just because i don't agree with you I honestly would not swap Carra for Ferdindand and i don't think anyone Liverpool fan would and thats regardless of who Ferdinand plays for..
Your argument of having blinkers on is getting old change the record ffs
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thewobbler

QuoteYour argument of having blinkers on is getting old change the record ffs
I'll stop when you stop. I know you can't see it, and I know you'll refuse to believe it, but your championing of Carragher over Ferdinand is entitled to the same respect as an Armagh fan championing Francie Bellew's cause over Darren Fay. In both cases one is a defender of class, elegance and athleticism that is rarely seen, and one is an honest stopper whose supporters admire him because he would die for his shirt. All other supporters would rather have the classy player in their team though.

Over the Bar

There'll never be a definitve answer as to who is the better player as stats can be produced to promote or dispel any point of view but it can hardly be argued that Ronaldo out of the 3 is making the greater contribution this season to his team and their present position both in Europe and domestically.  Time will tell who has made the overall best contribution at the season's end.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2008, 09:37:53 PM
I'll stop when you stop. I know you can't see it, and I know you'll refuse to believe it, but your championing of Carragher over Ferdinand is entitled to the same respect as an Armagh fan championing Francie Bellew's cause over Darren Fay. In both cases one is a defender of class, elegance and athleticism that is rarely seen, and one is an honest stopper whose supporters admire him because he would die for his shirt. All other supporters would rather have the classy player in their team though.

Not if the classy player is a liabilty like Ferdinand is..I would rather have a Carra type player end of.............
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 15, 2008, 10:04:12 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2008, 09:37:53 PM

Not if the classy player is a liabilty like Ferdinand is..I would rather have a Carra type player end of.............

Peckhams finest organises a better party though.....
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thewobbler

Typing 'end of' does not close an argument.

You keep banging on about mistakes that Ferdinand makes, especially in comparsion to reliable old Jamie. Without analysing every game these fellas have played, I can't disprove your theory, but nor can you prove it. You may have a hunch, but not much else.

Me, I'd have a hunch that Carragher has put the ball in his own net more often than the opposition's net during his career. Which would be a pretty unenviable record, especially for a man who played a lot of his early career in midfield. But Jamie doesn't make mistakes, does he?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2008, 10:20:06 PM
Typing 'end of' does not close an argument.

You keep banging on about mistakes that Ferdinand makes, especially in comparsion to reliable old Jamie. Without analysing every game these fellas have played, I can't disprove your theory, but nor can you prove it. You may have a hunch, but not much else.

Me, I'd have a hunch that Carragher has put the ball in his own net more often than the opposition's net during his career. Which would be a pretty unenviable record, especially for a man who played a lot of his early career in midfield. But Jamie doesn't make mistakes, does he?

What a stupid thing to say of course he makes mistakes everyone does..And yes he has scored a couple of own goals.The FA Cup Final one being the most high profile.
But Rio to me looks like he could do anything when he is on the ball,I wouldn't trust him to be honest
Liverpool might not be anywhere near winning a Premiership but over the last several seasons they have had one of the best defensive records in the Premiership and IMHO thats all down to Carra he is the heart and soul of that team..People say Gerarrd is but i think Carra is
And yes that is end of... because we aren't going to agree on this and I'm really getting tired going around and around in circles talking about it..
You rate Rio I don't,You'd rather have Rio in your team I'd rather have Carra..You think i think that because i have blinkers on fair enough thats your opinion but your wrong,You'd rather have the showboating defender i'd rather have a no nonsense tough tackling defender who will give everything for the team until the 90mins are up
People are always going to disagree but don't insult me by telling me im blinkered because i prefer a different type of player than you..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

his holiness nb

I dont rate Ferdinand that much. Decent defender, and had a bit of "class" on the ball, but more error prone that Carragher in my opinion. I would prefer Carragher on my side than Ferdinand.

That said I would prefer Vidic on my side than Carragher.
Ask me holy bollix

nrico2006

Ferdinand has made a few mistakes, but no moreso thatn any other centre back.  His reputation influences journalists opinions on him, and he is regarded as the flair player who is error prone - thats crap.  Whilst he isnt the toughest nut in the world, or doesn't run about trying to save England like John Terry, he is very important to the best defence in England.  Ferdinand is more composed on the ball than Carragher, and he has more pace aswell!!  Ferdinand also likes scoring at Anfield, something Carragher doesn't!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nifan

FFS they are different types of defenders, and both of them are good.

LL can prefer whoever he wants wobbler - many people dont rate ferdinand as highly as you, get over it.

AZOffaly

To be honest goalscoring wouldn't be a major factor in my assessment of a centre half. Defensive strength, reading situations, cutting off attacks and organising the defence are more relevant. The fact that Rio scores more than Carragher is a bit of a red herring in my opinion. Sami Hypia probably has more goals than Rio, but not too many people would say Sami is better than Rio.

What I do like about Ferdinand is his ability on the ball. He is far more cultured, a la Alan Hansen, than Carragher, but I do believe that Carragher is at least his equal in terms of the core principles of defending.

In short, Ferdinand is a far better footballer, but Carra is, in my opinion, a more reliable defender. If you were picking a back four though, you could do a lot worse than a partnership of the two of them. And I think that's what United have in Rio and Vidic. That gives them the strong base defensively, and the ability to start attacks with accurate passing from defence.

magpie seanie

QuoteLiverpool might not be anywhere near winning a Premiership but over the last several seasons they have had one of the best defensive records in the Premiership and IMHO thats all down to Carra he is the heart and soul of that team

Amazingly you will find that in the same period United's defence has also been excellent. Of course this somehow means that Rio is shite though. Explain that to me? It must be all down to Gary Neville so.