Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

podge

Quote from: Last Man on January 17, 2008, 08:04:41 AM
"at the cost of disenfranchising several clubs". I sorry fella but what are the costs of disenfranchising a few clubs versus the benefits of a league structure that is representative of where the standard of hurling is at the moment.

I like the way you have chosen a very small part of what I have said over 2 posts and completely misrepresented what I said.

I have stated several times that change is needed, but that it needs to be done in a fair manner  i.e clubs need to be told in advance.

I have also asked which of the options is 'representative of where the standard of hruling is at the moment'?  The answer is that none of them are a majic solution and none of them will provide immediate benefits which is why they do not need to ne rushed through at a cost.

"Who is going to be tanking who in Div.2 and 3, arguably Ardoyne might be up against it in Div.3 but I think they just shade it to be there (hypothetically speaking of course)."

I assume you are talking about Guillem2's proposal.  Just a pity that its not one of the options up for approval.  

My main beef is with the CCC's proposals which I see no benefit in but I am also generally opposed to the principle of changing promotion/relegation rules after the leagues are run.

sail_in

my 2 cents worth ...

I played in Division 2 last year and all in all it was very competitive, apart possibly from Armoy who lost all their games, and Rasharkin who only won the one against Armoy.  Glenarm won the league and so they should probably be allowed to pit their skills against the bigger boys next year. 

It's not completely straight forward though, like my own club didn't thrown any matches or anything like that but we weren't exactly devastated when we didn't win the league as we knew that it would more than likely result in a year's hammerings and a return to division 2 with our tails between our legs (Sarsfields beat us 2 years ago and didn't exactly set Division 1 alight last year)

I think the main benefit (as has already been stated) in moving from 3 divisions to 4 would be for the teams in the current division 3, where we would have the stronger teams in the new division 3 and the teams who struggle to put teams out in the new division 4.  (This isn't intended as an entry criteria just a broad overview).  Even if a team did find themselves in a league which they felt they were too good for, if that was the case then it would only be a matter of putting in a year's effort and you'd be promoted.

I'm not sure what my view is, I would be in favour of 4 divisions, but doing it now based on leagues that have already been run isn't ideal.  So probably if the county said "right, next year we're moving to this, you have this year to play yourself into a position, and that position will decide where you play your hurling next year."

Glensman

Completely agree sail in - I only hope the sensible approach like that is taken.

Set it out for next year so all concerned know exactly where they are at and what they are aiming for. This year clubs were focussed on achieving a goal...some did that, others may have been happy to stay in Div 2 etc etc.

Now putting in "a year's effort" is an easy thing to say - as the year starts again in the near future its a long haul thing. Some players might be nearing retirement and never get the opportunity to play at the level that they successfully sought to attain last year.

As regards Div 2 I believe an Armoy poster on here made it pretty clear that all focus was lost on the league when 1. they went for the championship means all approach (fair play to them they got it) and 2. McDermotts (I think) pulled out of the league so relegation wasn't a possibility.

By the way good luck to Armoy for the weekend.

sail_in

Oh yeah, good luck to Armoy surely!

It was McDermotts that completely dropped out, you're right.  I don't think they played any games at all in Division 2, but I don't think there was ever any real clarity on the issue of whether they would be completely removed or if they would just be relegated.  Maybe the Armoy lads knew different - they must have done going by what you're saying! 

I'm not sure what's happening with McDermotts this coming year either - whether they've folded or if they intend putting a team into Division 3.  I think their football club fell to an arse too, though I'm nearly sure they played at least a few games last year!

Baile an tuaigh

Couple of questions.

Na fuiseoig. How old is the club and what would the catchment area be in Twinbrook.

When did they change the name of the "volunteer" cup and what is the new name. Thanks

Minder

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on January 19, 2008, 04:26:06 PM
Couple of questions.

Na fuiseoig. How old is the club and what would the catchment area be in Twinbrook.

When did they change the name of the "volunteer" cup and what is the new name. Thanks

The PSNI have had many problems catching anyone in Twinbrook...........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Glensman

Brian Cody, John Power, Pat O Neill, DJ Carey, Henry Shefflin, Cha Fitzpatrick your boys took a hell of a beating.

Happy days...just in from the Armoy match (they won by 3 points) and just heard that Antrim won by a point in Kilkenny.

Is this the beginning of a revolution?

glens73

When the results were read out on RTE Radio I thought after he said Antrim 2-15 he was going to say Kilkenny 3-26 or something like that.

Great result no matter what the competition.

Baile an tuaigh

I first read the result on aertal. Was shocked, but didn't believe it because that source of information has in the past prov-en unreliable. Then the texts came in and it was pure euphoria. This result has really made my month!! :)

Square Ball

what was the result? cant find it anywhere
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

glens73

Minder

Lads i would implore youse not to get too carried away, how many false dawns have we had in Antrim? The League will be a better barometer of where we are, when teams have their "eye on the ball" a bit more. A great result nonetheless. When we beat Galway a copule of years ago we didnt build on it, we must build on this but it will be difficult given the opposition in the league. I would also imagine the Cats will be waiting for us to make amends in a few weeks time.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pebble-dasher

could someone post the teams

Lecale2

Baile an tuaigh

From RTE

Walsh Cup round-up
Sunday, 20 January 2008 19:42
All-Ireland champions and four-in-a-row Walsh Cup chasers Kilkenny were sensationally knocked out of the 2008 Walsh Cup as they went down to a 2-15 to 1-17 defeat to Antrim.

A sustained effort by an eager Antrim side saw them pull off a surprise quarter-final win at Freshford.

Kilkenny lined out with seven of their All-Ireland winning team from last September in tow, but the visitors were full value for their success.

Although holding out by a point at the full-time whistle, Terence McNaughton and Dominic McKinley's charges could have won by a lot more, but let the Cats sneak back into contention in the second half.

PJ Ryan, Jackie Tyrrell, PJ Delaney, James Ryall, Richie Power, Aidan Fogarty and Eddie Brennan formed the solid back-bone of this Kilkenny side who were expected to triumph and build up some momentum for their season ahead.

However, once Liam Watson blasted to the net in the ninth-minute, there was no doubting just how hungry Antrim were for the win.

Watson's strike gave the visitors a two-point cushion and they held onto that lead right to the finish, as Kilkenny played second fiddle for most of the encounter.

Antrim made full use of their wind advantage during the opening half and were more clinical in their play.

Although the Cats had cut the deficit to a point after 13 minutes thanks to good work from Eddie Brennan and Richie Power, Antrim were quick to take scores from all angles.

Even Ballycastle goalkeeper Ryan McGarry got in on the scoring action as his long range puck glided between the posts for Antrim's third point in the 14th-minute.

By the end of the opening quarter, quick scores from Kevin Elliott and Watson had Antrim leading by 1-5 to 0-4 and Kilkenny were being made to pay for some loose marking.

The free-taking of Power and another Brennan point did keep Kilkenny in touch before the interval but the wides tally was mounting for the Cats.

Antrim finished the half as they had started it - with another well-taken goal.

This time it was Karl McKeegan who had no hesitation in planting the ball past PJ Ryan and he also stroked over the next point as Antrim took a 2-8 to 0-7 buffer into the break.

Kilkenny burst out of the blocks on the restart with full-forward Eddie Brennan eager for a goal inside the opening minute, but good defensive work by the visitors ensured the All Star was kept at bay.

Kilkenny had a dominant spell, hitting the next three points through Power and defender James Ryall.

Eoin McCormack followed up with a 43rd minute goal to cut the gap to just two points.

Nonetheless, Antrim failed to panic and with the likes of Watson and McGarry continuing to be settling influences, they held on to set up a semi-final against UCD.

Kilkenny persevered right until the end with injury-time points coming from Power and PJ Delaney, but time simply ran out on Brian Cody's defending champions.

Kilkenny: PJ Ryan; S Cummins, B Hogan, J Tyrrell; J Dalton, PJ Delaney (0-1, 1 '65'), J Ryall (0-1); R Mullally (0-1), W Dwyer; P Cleere, R Power (0-9, 0-8f), A Fogarty (0-2); E McCormack (1-0), E Brennan (0-2), R Hogan (0-1).

Subs used: E McGrath for Cleere (48 mins), D Fogarty for Dwyer (63).

Antrim: R McGarry (0-1); A Graffin, N McGarry, S Delargy; C Herron, M McCambridge, K Elliott (0-1); K McKeegan (1-1), D Hamill; N McManus (0-1), L Watson (1-8, 0-4f, 2 '65'), P McGill; S McCrory (0-1), C Donnelly, S McNaughton (0-1).

Subs used: M Kettle for N McGarry, K Stewart (0-1) for Donnelly (both half-time), C Duffin for McNaughton (64 mins).

Referee: Tony Carroll (Offaly)