Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrinkingHarp

If you are looking for a quick get away with or without the kids, I would recommend Bluebell Lane

https://bluebell-lane.com/
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Gold

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on May 26, 2019, 03:06:27 AM
If you are looking for a quick get away with or without the kids, I would recommend Bluebell Lane

https://bluebell-lane.com/

Bruges sounds like what you're looking for

Budapest class too.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

galwayman

Well lads. Wondering could anybody recommend somewhere up North for a 3 day family break?
Myself, my wife & our 2 year old and 6 week old daughters.
Had initially been thinking about Kenmare or Dingle in Kerry but now thinking it would be nice to try somewhere in Northern Ireland. It's quite a drive from where we are so have only really stayed in Belfast before for a few nights.
As we have the two young kids with us, we'd just be looking for somewhere to chill out with some decent food in the vicinity. Will bring the toddler to playground, beach etc.
I am not very familiar with where would be good in the North - initial thoughts were maybe Portstewart or Newcastle?

We'd be looking for accommodation with a second bedroom if possible.
Cheers in advance for any suggestions.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: galwayman on June 06, 2019, 10:07:39 AM
Well lads. Wondering could anybody recommend somewhere up North for a 3 day family break?
Had initially been thinking about Kenmare or Dingle in Kerry but now thinking it would be nice to try somewhere in Northern Ireland. It's quite a drive from where we are so have only really stayed in Belfast before for a few nights.
As we have the two young kids with us, we'd just be looking for somewhere to chill out with some decent food in the vicinity. Will bring the toddler to playground, beach etc.
I am not very familiar with where would be good in the North - initial thoughts were maybe Portstewart or Newcastle?

Cushendun / Ballycastle in antrim. Cushednun a sleepy little national trust village in the heart of the Glens of Antrim with beach a few pubs. Very relaxing for a family of young ones, short drive to Giants causeway, carrick-a-reade rope bridge  (All the Game of thronsey stuff etc). Ballycastle 10 mins futher up the coast is abit livelier with nice beach and surroundings again a short drive from those metioned above. Lovley part of the world.

screenexile

The Port would be pretty good the North Coast is great and you're not far from things like Bushmills/Giants Causeway/Carrick a Rede. Plenty of good eating houses in Portrush and Portstewart and given the Open is there I think there'll be a good buzz there throughout the summer.

Newcastle is grand I'm not a huge fan though.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: screenexile on June 06, 2019, 10:27:30 AM
The Port would be pretty good the North Coast is great and you're not far from things like Bushmills/Giants Causeway/Carrick a Rede. Plenty of good eating houses in Portrush and Portstewart and given the Open is there I think there'll be a good buzz there throughout the summer.

For some reason the bikers have a fascination with Newcastle - does my head in going round revving the engines.

trailer

Fermanagh, stay in any of the places around Lough Erne. It's closer to you and if you strike it lucky with the weather like we did last year it's absolutely gorgeous.

snoopdog

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 06, 2019, 11:46:15 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 06, 2019, 10:27:30 AM

For some reason the bikers have a fascination with Newcastle - does my head in going round revving the engines.
Prob the roads to it. Very good if your on a bike plenty of hills corners etc

Milltown Row2

Can't go to far wrong from what Jeepers has said, plenty about to do and see, though with the kids they'd be looking at something like Barry's in Portrush, very small amusement park but the kids love it. The beaches are great and plenty places to stay and eat, not my first choice but plenty around you to visit.

Fermanagh as said is brilliant, if you get the weather, last year was unreal, but if its going to rain anywhere, it'l rain there. 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Quote from: trailer on June 06, 2019, 11:53:17 AM

Fermanagh, stay in any of the places around Lough Erne. It's closer to you and if you strike it lucky with the weather like we did last year it's absolutely gorgeous.
Agree with this - Lusty Beg is a good option for something slightly different.

Walter Cronc

Folks anyone been to Bali?

Thinking of going next Jan. Looking your typical resort/pool/beach just to kick back for 10 days or so.

Any recommendations on locations/resorts would be great.

TabClear

Anyone got any experience of booking last minute holidays during the summer for a family? 2 Adults and 2 kids 4&7 going early August.

The problem I have  is that because of a work commitment I do not know exactly what  day I will get off until probably 2 weeks before so my exact holidays could move by 4-5 days either way. To make it worse I have a family wedding early August so if the project at work drags on I would not be able to go at all which is the reason why I do not want to book now. Happy to fly from either Belfast or Dublin but not sure what is the best way to go about looking for somewhere decent. Money is not the concern, its more about getting somewhere good for the kids that late in the day. Should I be ringing travel agents directly when I know the dates or just look online as normal? I have had a few people tell me that normal travel search websites will only have the dregs left that late in the day.  :(

bennydorano

Walk in off the street and speak to one closer to the time, get all your Qs answered there & then.

TabClear

Quote from: bennydorano on June 11, 2019, 08:33:52 AM
Walk in off the street and speak to one closer to the time, get all your Qs answered there & then.

Cheers Benny, yeah I think thats what I am going to have to do. I just have a feeling that booking that late on line could be a bit potluck in terms of what you get accommodation wise!

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: TabClear on June 11, 2019, 08:09:29 AM
Anyone got any experience of booking last minute holidays during the summer for a family? 2 Adults and 2 kids 4&7 going early August.

The problem I have  is that because of a work commitment I do not know exactly what  day I will get off until probably 2 weeks before so my exact holidays could move by 4-5 days either way. To make it worse I have a family wedding early August so if the project at work drags on I would not be able to go at all which is the reason why I do not want to book now. Happy to fly from either Belfast or Dublin but not sure what is the best way to go about looking for somewhere decent. Money is not the concern, its more about getting somewhere good for the kids that late in the day. Should I be ringing travel agents directly when I know the dates or just look online as normal? I have had a few people tell me that normal travel search websites will only have the dregs left that late in the day.  :(

Haven't used a travel agent in years. All our holidays have been booked online, even at a late stage.