All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

I think Brigids are potentially a dangerous final opposition for Wattys who will have spent the whole year aiming to beat KC but still haven't won anything. Derry teams haven't won this competition for 2 decades. Roscommon is a serious football county and the standard in Connacht is high at the moment.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Brigids are a good team. They beat Corofin well though I didn't see yesterday. Everything you read would suggest that all Glen need to do is turn up. That's a dangerous place to be when you're playing decent opposition. It's different if there's a massive gap but there's not here.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on January 08, 2024, 12:32:51 PMI think Brigids are potentially a dangerous final opposition for Wattys who will have spent the whole year aiming to beat KC but still haven't won anything. Derry teams haven't won this competition for 2 decades. Roscommon is a serious football county and the standard in Connacht is high at the moment.

They have won 2 Ulster titles in a row, think they are doing well enough. Derry have plenty of All Ireland club winners...

There are only 13 counties that have won it, so not winning it in 2 decades is still better than the counties that have not. the Rossies only have won it once so no real pedigree in this, Ulster have won it 13 times and for all the hype about Dublin clubs, Leinster have only 11 titles
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

shark

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2024, 12:53:27 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 08, 2024, 12:32:51 PMI think Brigids are potentially a dangerous final opposition for Wattys who will have spent the whole year aiming to beat KC but still haven't won anything. Derry teams haven't won this competition for 2 decades. Roscommon is a serious football county and the standard in Connacht is high at the moment.

They have won 2 Ulster titles in a row, think they are doing well enough. Derry have plenty of All Ireland club winners...

There are only 13 counties that have won it, so not winning it in 2 decades is still better than the counties that have not. the Rossies only have won it once so no real pedigree in this, Ulster have won it 13 times and for all the hype about Dublin clubs, Leinster have only 11 titles

And 2 of those were UCD , who presumably had a fair spread of counties in their teams. Cork alone has the same number as Leinster , although none since 2003.

The comment above that Glen "still haven't won anything" is bizarre. They've won back to back Ulster and 3 in a row in Derry. They had never won a Derry senior championship prior to that. I think (open to correction). As if success at club level is only determined by all-Irelands.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 08, 2024, 12:50:32 PMBrigids are a good team. They beat Corofin well though I didn't see yesterday. Everything you read would suggest that all Glen need to do is turn up. That's a dangerous place to be when you're playing decent opposition. It's different if there's a massive gap but there's not here.

The thing too is St Brigids know how to win an AI,  Glen don't. Going into a final under the radar is a great way to be so they'll be happy with that.

tonto1888

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 08, 2024, 01:21:09 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 08, 2024, 12:50:32 PMBrigids are a good team. They beat Corofin well though I didn't see yesterday. Everything you read would suggest that all Glen need to do is turn up. That's a dangerous place to be when you're playing decent opposition. It's different if there's a massive gap but there's not here.

The thing too is St Brigids know how to win an AI,  Glen don't. Going into a final under the radar is a great way to be so they'll be happy with that.

for me this statement is only true if there are players/management involved who have won them before. If it is brand new team with no previous experience of winning AIs then you cant really say it

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: shark on January 08, 2024, 01:07:55 PM

And 2 of those were UCD , who presumably had a fair spread of counties in their teams. Cork alone has the same number as Leinster , although none since 2003.

The comment above that Glen "still haven't won anything" is bizarre. They've won back to back Ulster and 3 in a row in Derry. They had never won a Derry senior championship prior to that. I think (open to correction). As if success at club level is only determined by all-Irelands.

Ah come on quoting figures of how many AIs each province has is a real red herring. Ulster clubs have 13 wins but ourselves and Burren have 8 of them,  Cork has 12 titles but Nemo and the Barrs have 10.  Corofin have 5. There are no real standout teams in Leinster, Crokes and St Vincent's have 3 an each but they're well spread out. Kilmacud have a 14 year gap between 1st and 2nd and then another 14 year gap to their 3rd. Money on now to win it in 2037?

The reality is that Glen could win the final but it's absolutely no shoe in. Connacht has a strong club set up and between Corofin and Brigids have won 5 of the last 10 finals.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 08, 2024, 01:31:37 PM

for me this statement is only true if there are players/management involved who have won them before. If it is brand new team with no previous experience of winning AIs then you cant really say it

I think there are a few players involved,  not many I might add but it would be foolish to think that they don't have players who won in 2013 involved in the build up over the next few weeks.

gallsman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 08, 2024, 01:41:21 PMConnacht has a strong club set up and between Corofin and Brigids have won 5 of the last 10 finals.

Ah here, that's the same red herring you gave off about in your (correct) first paragraph!

tiempo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 08, 2024, 01:42:32 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 08, 2024, 01:31:37 PM

I think there are a few players involved,  not many I might add but it would be foolish to think that they don't have players who won in 2013 involved in the build up over the next few weeks.

2013 was the last throw of an ageing team and they fell over the line. 2024 is a completely new team, not carrying the baggage of the pre-2013 Brigids who were nearly men. Ballymun threw the 2013 final away but thems the breaks. End of the day its all up for grabs, would personally back Glen

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gallsman on January 08, 2024, 01:46:41 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 08, 2024, 01:41:21 PMConnacht has a strong club set up and between Corofin and Brigids have won 5 of the last 10 finals.

Ah here, that's the same red herring you gave off about in your (correct) first paragraph!

It is and it isn't. St Brigids beat Corofin this year so that has to stand for something. If it was Corofin playing in the final instead of St Brigids Corofin would be favourites,  no question about that.

OakLeaf

To be fair I don't think you'll hear that from any Glen men. They cant control the media narrative. They'll be treating St. Brigids with the utmost respect.

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 08, 2024, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 08, 2024, 01:46:41 PM

It is and it isn't. St Brigids beat Corofin this year so that has to stand for something. If it was Corofin playing in the final instead of St Brigids Corofin would be favourites,  no question about that.

If Corofin were in the final they wouldn't be favourites. Maybe with you they would but certainly not with the bookies.

Glen have been favorites for the All Ireland with the bookies since as far back as they won Derry in 2021 I think it was but not 100% sure definitely 2022 anyway. They haven't got over the line but they are inching closer.

seafoid

Derry have 3. Lavey and Bellaghy were a very long time ago. Since Ballinderry in 2002, Derry clubs have lost 3. So the form isn't great.  Roscommon have 1. If Brigids win the gap will be down to 1.

Fine margins I would say
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU