All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 07, 2024, 08:51:16 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2024, 08:46:00 PMNever mind that, how far up the pitch could you see?

Saw kilmacud attack first half and glen second
Saw to halfway line then nothing
Stand was full when we got there and that was 3.00
Thought it was a disgrace the game was played could only see one half of the pitch
Guys train all year and are reduced to playing a semi final in farcical conditions .

marty34

Would have been a travesty if Glen had lost that match today.  They were by far the better team.

But just goes to show you how momentum can change so quick in a game and how hard it is to turn against it.

Glen were ponderous with a ball along the terrace sideline in the 2 nd half and KC turned them over and it gave them a lift.  A bit of energy surged through their supporters and team and they powered on.

Funny that Glen sort of sat back and invited KC on instead of doing what they did, and the game management of the first half.  O'Rourke and Porter will mark that down as a learning experience for sure. Keep the gas on, when on top.

I think Dougan going off was a blow for Glen also. He was solid as usual.

The finish was a bit strange. 2 late goals after one another and then Walsh's miss.

Great game from what I could see. Conditions were the same for the two teams.

Wildweasel74

I want Oso opinion on the game  saying he had plenty to say before the Ulster final.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 07, 2024, 11:14:34 PMI want Oso opinion on the game  saying he had plenty to say before the Ulster final.

Probably something about Glen still hyped and other posters opinions are not going to change his regardless of what they want to believe.

Applesisapples

On a different tack, I'm not sure what you call the Crokes manager but he was very magnanimous after the game, no excuses and it was a nice contrast with the bleatings of soccer managers.

gallsman

Robbie Brennan. Yeah he came out and said that Glen were by far the better team and conditions were the same for both.

They could have stolen it but you'd be hard pressed to find any Crokes fans who could argue they deserved to win.

imtommygunn

I thought Glen were pretty good in their interviews too. Warnock was spot on - Kilmacaud were the better team last year and deserved their win. Two sporting enough teams tbf to them.

Robbie Brennan is the Kilmacaud manager's name.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 08, 2024, 09:32:43 AMI thought Glen were pretty good in their interviews too. Warnock was spot on - Kilmacaud were the better team last year and deserved their win. Two sporting enough teams tbf to them.

Robbie Brennan is the Kilmacaud manager's name.

I think he used to play for them, I only know this as I saw some random programme/photos last night on Twitter from the 1995 club semi final and he was in it for Kilmacud
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

He played for Dunboyne though maybe played for Kilmacaud at some point too.

yellowcard

Robbie Brennan has always spoke very well anytime I've listened to him after games.

Ditto with the Glen team, I'd say that team is full of leaders, a lot of their players have always been very good speakers during post match interviews. Most likely a result of excellent culture and coaching instilled in them from an early age. 

seafoid

Ref Warnock
Irish names were translated on an inconsistent basis. Sometimes if they sounded like an English name they were allocated that name. Eg Ó Cuaig sounds a bit like Cooke so it became Cooke.

Ulster was planted after 1607 and there are many non Gael names. Most names up there are correlated with religion but some are not. John Hume was a nationalist. So is Gerry Adams. Lenny Murphy and Ken Maginnis were Unionists. You can't generalise .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: seafoid on January 08, 2024, 10:45:40 AMRef Warnock
Irish names were translated on an inconsistent basis. Sometimes if they sounded like an English name they were allocated that name. Eg Ó Cuaig sounds a bit like Cooke so it became Cooke.

Ulster was planted after 1607 and there are many non Gael names. Most names up there are correlated with religion but some are not. John Hume was a nationalist. So is Gerry Adams. Lenny Murphy and Ken Maginnis were Unionists. You can't generalise .

O Cuaig anglicised as Quigg around south Derry.

brokencrossbar1

How that game went ahead is beyond me but what do you do?  I don't think it had a bearing on the outcome. Glen were excellent in the first 40 minutes and held Walsh in particular very well. Their style is very good for this time of year and they are exceptionally well conditioned. What is very telling is how good everyone single player is on the ball. Inevitably Crokes would always come back into it and Mannion was unerring and Walsh showed his calls with the burst and pass for the goal. Big players, big moments. I thought at that point with the momentum behind them they would finish it out but Glen showed a lot of character to get the next score to push them back head after Crokes drew level. It was hard to determine on the TV who played well but Warnock, Glass and McFaul were great leaders at key times.

Crokes are a really good team. People will maybe question them because of the whole Walsh transfer etc but that's been their model for as long as I have known and he is not the first and won't be the last. A second All Ireland would have out them into the 'great team' status so that will be a disappointment I'd say.

On another note congratulations to Cullyhanna in making the final. Not a bad yet for my home parish and hopefully they'll finish it out in the final.

SouthOfThe Bann

You have the added complications of the fact that a small number of catholic families would have switched sides during famine times ie; 'took the soup'.

I'm sure the opposite has happened in many cases for one reason or another.

We have to remember also that the Ulster Plantation was not the only plantation in Ireland; Munster and Laois/Offaly being the others.

What does fascinate me is how the likes of Mayo has many anglican names; to the best of my knowledge I don't think there was any plantation in connacht.

seafoid

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on January 08, 2024, 11:48:34 AM

You have the added complications of the fact that a small number of catholic families would have switched sides during famine times ie; 'took the soup'.

I'm sure the opposite has happened in many cases for one reason or another.

We have to remember also that the Ulster Plantation was not the only plantation in Ireland; Munster and Laois/Offaly being the others.

What does fascinate me is how the likes of Mayo has many anglican names; to the best of my knowledge I don't think there was any plantation in connacht.

Translation of the names from Irish was very haphazard . If it sounded like something English it might be given that name or if it was a name that corresponded to something in English such as an animal that may have been used . The third option was nonsense. Eg Sionnachan could be translated as Fox or Shanahan. An English name does not necessary mean from an English ancestor. They didn't care as long as they got rid of Irish names.

The scale of the Ulster plantation dwarfed the ones in Laois/Offaly because Ulster was the centre of Gaelic resistance pre 1607. 
The occupation of Ireland was top down in Leinster /Connacht /Munster but bottom up in the Northeast especially after 1798. When the landlord class was destroyed post 1880 , British power in Leinster /Connacht /Munster eventually went tits up  but the Northeast was different. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahir_Healy

In a 24 April 1934 speech on the floor of the Northern Ireland Parliament Cahir Healy made clear his feelings on the ruling Unionist government and its treatment of Catholics:

"We know there is today no place for a Catholic in any public office. They are banned more effectively by the bigotry, secret and open, of the Northern Ministers, than they were in the days before the passing of the Catholic Emancipation. But for all that, we are not despairing...What Cromwell attempted in vain you will also attempt in vain. God and right are with us and will prevail over all your machinations. This is not the last generation. Neither will your threats cause us to change our ideals, of a united and free Ireland".

The first objective sign imo of a nationalist  renaissance in the 6 counties after the trauma of partition was the 1960 all Ireland football final .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRpntHflrNo

Kerry could never beat either Down or Tyrone in an all Ireland final.
Cahir Healy will be vindicated.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU