Personal Trainers

Started by The Iceman, October 28, 2016, 08:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

There's tiktok doctors saying ice baths are of no good for u whatsoever, only increase the chances of cardiac arrest. I went through a cryotherapy phase years ago for an injury, nothing but a placebo for the mind, but that has value in itself.

Eire90

Is the pt community toxic a pt commited suicide a few weeks ago dont know if its anything to do with his job tho.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on January 09, 2024, 11:34:13 PMIs the pt community toxic a pt commited suicide a few weeks ago dont know if its anything to do with his job tho.

Probably suffering from depression rather than being a pt
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on January 09, 2024, 11:34:13 PMIs the pt community toxic a pt commited suicide a few weeks ago dont know if its anything to do with his job tho.
Is GAA toxic there's been plenty of GAA players do it unfortunately? Daft question that.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: bennydorano on January 09, 2024, 10:40:06 PMThere's tiktok doctors saying ice baths are of no good for u whatsoever, only increase the chances of cardiac arrest. I went through a cryotherapy phase years ago for an injury, nothing but a placebo for the mind, but that has value in itself.
20 mins standing in a lake is free

johnnycool

We run a "fitness" camp every January and February, Ballygalgets biggest loser it's called.

At it's peak we'd over 200 people paying £5 a week to be put into groups of 10 or 12, assigned "motivators" who'd take them on walks, runs, boxercise etc etc with weekly weigh ins and at the end of the 10 weeks the winners, male and female were those that lost the most weight. There was also a team prize for the overall best team who won the most Sunday morning challenges..

Our neighbouring clubs got in on the act and they run similar schemes at various times of the year and make a few bob from them as well.

But out of that has sprung up a cottage industry of personal trainers doing well for themselves off the back of it. One of our camogs runs boot camps where she's takes 20 people for 6 week blocks, does the before and after stuff and the last time I was talking to her she's thinking of packing in the day job.
Another of our lads got into the spin, kettle bell HIIT stuff as well as a bit of massaging and he's doing well, so well he hasn't the time to be our medical man the bollox..

Middle aged women in particular have money to spend and they go for this stuff in a big way.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on January 10, 2024, 08:34:26 AMWe run a "fitness" camp every January and February, Ballygalgets biggest loser it's called.

At it's peak we'd over 200 people paying £5 a week to be put into groups of 10 or 12, assigned "motivators" who'd take them on walks, runs, boxercise etc etc with weekly weigh ins and at the end of the 10 weeks the winners, male and female were those that lost the most weight. There was also a team prize for the overall best team who won the most Sunday morning challenges..

Our neighbouring clubs got in on the act and they run similar schemes at various times of the year and make a few bob from them as well.

But out of that has sprung up a cottage industry of personal trainers doing well for themselves off the back of it. One of our camogs runs boot camps where she's takes 20 people for 6 week blocks, does the before and after stuff and the last time I was talking to her she's thinking of packing in the day job.
Another of our lads got into the spin, kettle bell HIIT stuff as well as a bit of massaging and he's doing well, so well he hasn't the time to be our medical man the bollox..

Middle aged women in particular have money to spend and they go for this stuff in a big way.

Cost of living crisis my arse!!!!

Nails
Weekly hair appointments
Boot camps
Pilate classes
Pampering weekends

I could go on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tintin25

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2024, 08:44:53 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 10, 2024, 08:34:26 AMWe run a "fitness" camp every January and February, Ballygalgets biggest loser it's called.

Cost of living crisis my arse!!!!

Nails
Weekly hair appointments
Boot camps
Pilate classes
Pampering weekends

I could go on

Don't forget the botox! Seeing plenty of women now with the joker smile.

Plenty of fitness videos on youtube that you can get for free - if you've a couple of kettlebells you're sorted and doesn't need to be more than a 20/25 min workout.

The small group training has really taken off at the minute, realistically if you're joining a gym like this then it's a min £100 for 3 sessions a week.

trailer

You can't out train a bad diet, and let me tell you, I know.

JimStynes

Quote from: square_ball on January 09, 2024, 09:49:08 PMIs it a prerequisite to be a PT now that you have to sit in an ice bath for a few minutes every morning and tell the world about it?

I was saying this a while ago. They'd sicken you.

Ice baths aren't a new thing though. The rugby ones were at it 30 years ago and then it slipped into the GAA clubs not long after. I remember mortar tubs landing up to training and filled with ice cold water. A fella in Lurgan had the ice bath and a membership thing for years and I loved it. But of course PTs come and sicken your hole about it and put you off it altogether.

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on January 09, 2024, 10:40:06 PMThere's tiktok doctors saying ice baths are of no good for u whatsoever, only increase the chances of cardiac arrest. I went through a cryotherapy phase years ago for an injury, nothing but a placebo for the mind, but that has value in itself.

It's like anything though, you can search for all these studies online that say they're good and as many that say they're bad. Anyone with cardiac issues should be staying away in my opinion though.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: JimStynes on January 10, 2024, 10:50:37 AM
Quote from: square_ball on January 09, 2024, 09:49:08 PMIs it a prerequisite to be a PT now that you have to sit in an ice bath for a few minutes every morning and tell the world about it?

Ice baths aren't a new thing though. The rugby ones were at it 30 years ago and then it slipped into the GAA clubs not long after. I remember mortar tubs landing up to training and filled with ice cold water. A fella in Lurgan had the ice bath and a membership thing for years and I loved it. But of course PTs come and sicken your hole about it and put you off it altogether.

We had 2 old bath tubs in the showers in 1997/98 filled every night after training with ice. Not sure it ever helped everyone but it was always a bit of craic. We have an ice pod now,  small one,  that we fill with really cold water and sometimes ice and it does help from what I can tell.

As for the PTs some good, some bad, you can get everything the do on YouTube but are you motivated enough?

5times5times

even more sickening now is these clowns paying a fortune to go spend time with that wim hof fella.

close to €3400 to "find yourself"..

every instagram clown in down + newry now a life coach, with their sea dipping and cold tubs.

trueblue1234

The problem is wading through the crap to get the right information. It used to be that only experts and proper researched sources posted online. Now Tommy from Facebook who found out about callisthenics last week is as likely to pop up in searches.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

johnnycool

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 10, 2024, 11:01:19 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 10, 2024, 10:50:37 AM

We had 2 old bath tubs in the showers in 1997/98 filled every night after training with ice. Not sure it ever helped everyone but it was always a bit of craic. We have an ice pod now,  small one,  that we fill with really cold water and sometimes ice and it does help from what I can tell.

As for the PTs some good, some bad, you can get everything the do on YouTube but are you motivated enough?

Being a bit more agricultural down our way we'd a big fúckin cattle water trough full of ice and lots of other shit back in the day and as I nearing the end of my days I think it did me a lot of good in keeping the aches and pains at bay.

We now have our own cryospa and it gets a fair bit of use between ACL ops (another two lads had the op in October last year) and hip ops which are a thing at the minute for us and cost a bloody fortune.