Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Mustard

Quote from: Gold on March 24, 2011, 11:29:07 PM
Quote from: bannside on March 24, 2011, 11:37:58 AM
Centre Half makes a point that our bench is very limited at senior level. Have to say I totally agree. We lose three or four players and all of a sudden we are rudderless or leaderless.

Why is this such a big surprise to everyone? When is the last time we won a minor or under 21 c`ship match?

I have said many times that to be sustainable at the highest level we need much better quality, focus and ambition from development squad and upwards. This has been sorely missing during the JMS years - to the extent I am genuinely petrified about our short and medium term at senior level.

Baker and Co lost their third consecutive u-21 c`ship match last week to a team that was hammered last night in the next round.The team that beat us didnt score from play until the 59th minute. Is anyone else picking up on this level of detail? This is the reality.

Jody didnt give a toss about u-21, and Baker made absolutely no impression in this sector either in three years.

We must be the only county in Ireland where some of our management team have three teams on the go at one time - a club management job, county under twenty-one, and inter county senior level.

Or maybe our senior county officers werent aware of this? Jesus wept! Sometimes we get what we deserve.

thought the same when readin the paper today--and we score f all against them in the last round.

No championship win at underage since either minor semi v armagh in 06 or maybe a later victory in u-21 v fermanagh--that may have been 08?

Before that would be v armagh in 03 in u-21

Before that would be the 2 minor sides that reached consecutive ulster finals in 97/98

Poor record
We reached a minor final a few years ago. I'd guess 05. Your point is correct though.

bannside

Yep, a great win that day alright.

What concerned me afterwards though was the fairly hefty defeat we suffered by Donegal in the final. As far as I can remember Donegal lost very heavily to Meath, who in turn lost the all-ireland final very heavily to Kerry. I know its not an exact science, but still must go down as a useful yardstick or barometer.

From that team who has progressed to senior. Burke, Crozier and CJ - anyone else? Personally I liked the look of O Neill outfield, but thats just me.

Pat Mustard

Quote from: hardstation on March 25, 2011, 09:25:22 AM
He mentioned the minor semi final win against Armagh in 06.
So he did, my mistake.

imtommygunn

I *think* Conor Murray was on that team too bannside. He seems to be in and around squads without ever making any breakthrough though.

Agreed about underage wins - it's been a long time. I would hope that the Lamh Dhearg and Stmarys wins this year will help.

We hadn't too bad a minor team last year but were drawn against eventual all ireland winners in the first round.

bannside

Agree ITG. Some good prospects from last year. A fit Declan Lynch would have made an impact too, but as far as I know he declared himself burned out. Looked ok when introduced late on.

Brendan Bradley also made an impact, and I like the look of him. Smiley Duffin made the team the previous year and would be well rated, but saw no action. Aidan Mc Keown will fill out into a decent player, and clubmate Conor Mc Cann would not commit, but a top prospect. Think he hurled instead. Michael Smyth another who wouldnt go. Yea, a few good prospects from last year - and this years bunch shouldnt be a mile away either.

To be fair they are putting in a lot of effort and a decent set up. Cant fault the effort being put in by both players and management. Tomorrow they play Fermanagh at Casement at 12pm. Maybe get a run up.

saffron sam2

Quote from: bannside on March 25, 2011, 09:39:15 AM
Yep, a great win that day alright.

What concerned me afterwards though was the fairly hefty defeat we suffered by Donegal in the final. As far as I can remember Donegal lost very heavily to Meath, who in turn lost the all-ireland final very heavily to Kerry. I know its not an exact science, but still must go down as a useful yardstick or barometer.

From that team who has progressed to senior. Burke, Crozier and CJ - anyone else? Personally I liked the look of O Neill outfield, but thats just me.

Not just you bannside, Baker as well. Wanted to fire him on against Meath (I think) but there wasn't a spare pair of shorts, allegedly.

Rumours too of dodgy expenses claims in the camp with one high profile member taking the moral highground and touting on others. Hopefully his Predators fit.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Milltown Row2

In recent years how many County players would you think that playing for the County looks better on their CV than being committed to the cause of bringing Antrim forward?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Simon Says

id say players like loughrey, Sean kelly, kevin o boyle, both bradys and terry o neill. too many in it for themselves. dont know too much about the new boys. hope a few more to add to the list above.

PeteG

Quote from: Simon Says on March 31, 2011, 09:37:57 AM
id say players like loughrey, Sean kelly, kevin o boyle, both bradys and terry o neill. too many in it for themselves. dont know too much about the new boys. hope a few more to add to the list above.

Simon, not sure if I am understanding your reply but are you listing loughrey, Sean kelly, kevin o boyle, both bradys and terry o neill as players that are only in it for themselves?

Simon Says

No pete, im listing these boys as the guys who strive to bring antrim forward. Why i come to believe why kelly retired as his heart wasnt in it no more, especially if your giving it all and other boys are out on the lash and all about their 0-6 in the irish news every monday morning.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Simon Says on March 31, 2011, 12:44:46 PM
No pete, im listing these boys as the guys who strive to bring antrim forward. Why i come to believe why kelly retired as his heart wasnt in it no more, especially if your giving it all and other boys are out on the lash and all about their 0-6 in the irish news every monday morning.

Have you been drinking?

Simon Says

yeah just finished off my 15th pint of stout. you nothing to add?

saffron sam2

Quote from: Simon Says on March 31, 2011, 01:24:26 PM
yeah just finished off my 15th pint of stout. you nothing to add?

Yes, loads, Just as soon as I can figure out exactly what you are trying to say.

Milltown Row2

For me too many people in recent years seemed to be getting involved because it looks good, bit of attention wrangle a job out of it along the way.

Don't get me wrong, this has happened for years and while the footballers are a million miles further on than teams during the 80's and 90's this trait of playing for the sake of a good CV does more harm to the team than good.

I won't name names for fear of being kicked out of my club ;D but would certainly name the lads who have/had a serious passion/commitment for Antrim over the years.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

I`d say most of the guys are there because they see representing their county as a badge of honour - the way it should be. Maybe the odd exception, but dont underestimate the workload involved in being part of a senior county panel.

It will take over the best years of your young free and single adulthood, so I wouldnt think too many would sacrifice that for the wrong reasons. Would know most of our senior panellists and theres a lot of good honest lads amongst them.

Always get the exception though, but that would be in the minority.