Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on June 09, 2010, 11:15:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2010, 10:17:19 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 09, 2010, 10:12:14 PM
Cargin see off Naomh Pol 9 points to 8 tonight, in a game notable only for a shocking performance by the referee.  Doogan from Creggan I think he is.
Doogan should not do Cargin games

Why's that Milltown?

Christ such a can of worms!!!

Doogan is a good man, has been refereeing for years.

refereeing your bitter rivals is tough on a referee. they all know you personally and by name. having refereed a few seasons (albeit not often enough) when you walk onto the pitch and the mentors know you personally they feel (i think) that you owe them something.

does this cloud your decisions? don't know but it could sway others.

thats why i said he shouldn't do Cargin games.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2010, 04:23:24 PM
Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on June 09, 2010, 11:15:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2010, 10:17:19 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 09, 2010, 10:12:14 PM
Cargin see off Naomh Pol 9 points to 8 tonight, in a game notable only for a shocking performance by the referee.  Doogan from Creggan I think he is.
Doogan should not do Cargin games

Why's that Milltown?

Christ such a can of worms!!!

Doogan is a good man, has been refereeing for years.

refereeing your bitter rivals is tough on a referee. they all know you personally and by name. having refereed a few seasons (albeit not often enough) when you walk onto the pitch and the mentors know you personally they feel (i think) that you owe them something.

does this cloud your decisions? don't know but it could sway others.

thats why i said he shouldn't do Cargin games.

Fair enough. I agree 100% - in principle at least. It has to cloud your decisions either one way - or the other in trying to compensate. The logistics of trying to avoid a near neighbour refereeing could be problematic though so just has to be accepted from time to time, I guess.

Besides the country ones feel that way about all the city refs and teams do they not? They think they're all related :D

I remember hearing a story about a city team playing a country team up the country and a referee from over 30miles away appointed to officiate. The city team couldn't understand how the ref was so familiar with the country team and why he was giving the city such a raw deal until they found out he had a shop in the (nearest) town and employed two of the players from their team!

The ref (literally) knew which side of his bread was buttered that day...  ;D

A Quinn Martin Production

From the BBC

Cunningham injury blow for Antrim

Antrim footballers could be without key forward Paddy Cunningham for their opening game in the All-Ireland qualifiers in two weeks time.  The Saffrons free-taker suffered ankle ligament damage while playing football in a tournament in Mayo. The Lamh Dhearg club-man is currently undergoing treatment in an effort to speed up his recovery. At the moment, last year's Saffron skipper is unable to put weight on the injured left foot.

The draw for the opening round of qualifiers will take place on Sunday evening with the eight matches being played on Saturday 26 June.  Antrim bowed out of the Ulster Championship last month after being beaten 2-14 to 1-13 by Tyrone at Casement Park.

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Saffrons

McGourty in for a straight swap with PC, if he's injured. Would be a loss but we can cope.
Kildare in the qualifiers then, what does everyone think?

bloodybreakball

where kildare keeping their powder dry for later on in the season and got caught against louth, or their maybe missing paul grimley? theyre probably not as bad as they showed against louth, same as we werent as poor as we showed against tyrone, think theyre defense is poor, which is a good thing for us, bt thats suprising seeing as mc geeney is taking them and maybe they'll have that sorted for the game, hard to know.
tomas mc cann michael mc cann loughrey, mc gourty, niblock. k mc gourty

aontroim

Absolutely imperative that we get someone to marshall John Doyle - despite the defeat to Louth he was still a class act and Kildare's main scoring threat and has been for a while.  Which one of the 4 half-backs will get the job?

saffron sam2

Quote from: aontroim on June 14, 2010, 12:29:34 PM
Absolutely imperative that we get someone to marshall John Doyle - despite the defeat to Louth he was still a class act and Kildare's main scoring threat and has been for a while.  Which one of the 4 half-backs will get the job?

Surely you mean 5?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

imtommygunn

I think it was shown the last day that we can't play those 2 boys in WHF. We can't make that mistake again...

James Kavanagh will take some watching. Very good footballer. Smith also very good.

glens abu

Could be a nightmare journey on Sat as its Derby weekend at the Curragh >:(

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: glens abu on June 15, 2010, 09:09:28 AM

I believe the Cooperation Ireland Maracycle (Belfast - Dublin) is on that day too ???
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

glens abu

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 15, 2010, 09:20:15 AM
Quote from: glens abu on June 15, 2010, 09:09:28 AM

I believe the Cooperation Ireland Maracycle (Belfast - Dublin) is on that day too ???

Sh1te that is a nightmare got caught in that one year there was a bomb scare in Newry and we were diverted over the mountain with 100s of mad bikers >:( >:( >:(

CentreHalfBack

Any new faces joining the panel?

I heard Brian'Bam'Nelson from St.Johns got a phone call from Baker.
New season - new reason

Milltown Row2

beat the Johnnies tonight, Kevin Niblock was outstanding in nets for Naomh Gall, both teams missing players but a last minute peno won it for us!!

was impressed by St Johns even though we were missing a few players (feel like Skulll here ;) :D)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bloodybreakball

well thats three st.johns men on the county panel now isn't it? by all reports they have been doing very well under adams and they have 4 or 5 tall fellas as well there, mc glinchey and another bug boy, is it ward he's called. does anybody think they will make any impact in the championship, would e great to see a fourth belfast team as a heavy hitter  again

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: bloodybreakball on June 17, 2010, 10:44:01 AM
well thats three st.johns men on the county panel now isn't it? by all reports they have been doing very well under adams and they have 4 or 5 tall fellas as well there, mc glinchey and another bug boy, is it ward he's called. does anybody think they will make any impact in the championship, would e great to see a fourth belfast team as a heavy hitter  again

Who are the other two BBB?