Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SambaSaffron

Thats the thing, surely it will cause a lot of disharmony in the squad. I imagine (well actually, its fairly obvious) that he isn't exactly best friends with a few lads on the team. If he comes in at this stage and takes someones place at this stage, its going to have a knock-on effect to a few other players. Not to mention the lads on the bench who have trained all season hoping for a chance, then a week before the big game he's invited back on to the squad.

pebble-dasher

Cant understand why you would bring him back the week before championship for any other reason that to take the attention away from the squad.  There is no way kmg could be up to the speed and fitness level required to play senior county football.  If Baker thinks he is good enough to play for antrim then why was he not asked in after the club all-ireland  like all the rest of the galls lads.
I dont buy the fact that he was studying in dublin as an excuse, its not the other side of the world.

Cant see him starting on sunday, hoping for a good hard team performance.
Team
Finucane
brady, mclean, kob
scullion, crozier, loughrey
mc cann, gallagher
tomas, brady, oneill
cunningham, the bear, cj

Niblock, kelly and douglas making an appearance at some stage

imtommygunn

Pebble-dasher so is that your predicted team or the actual team??

who is the bear??

This has got to be a wind up about kevin mcgourty. I don't see how it can be in any way positive.

SambaSaffron

Actual team hasn't been named yet. I doubt Kevin Brady or 'the Bear' (Magill I presume) will start, although I would have both on. I'd say Niblock and Kelly will start.

Milltown Row2

I hoping for a good start from Antrim on Sunday, if the pressure is kept on Tyrone then anything can happen.

I'd say Antrim will have a 8 man defence and we will find it hard to create scores. there will have to be a serious amount of support play and lads will have to empty the tank. so it will be good to have the likes of Kevin there to maybe come on and take on Tyrone, as physically we are small (bar Magill if he is playing)

should be a low scoring game. 2-12 to 1-14 for Antrim!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

A Quinn Martin Production

MR2...I'd agree a good start will include making sure that Tyrone don't rattle over five or six points in the first 15 mins as I think the Tyrone stategy will be to go out and bury this overhyped Div 3 team (in their eyes) as soon as possible.  Agree too that we're unlikely to run up a big score so any goal chance has to be buried

Anyone know the latest on injuries to Niblock, Herron and poss Magill??  Could the arrival of KMcG be due to the fact that one or all of these players won't start??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

SambaSaffron

2-12 to 1-14 lowscoring?  :D

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on May 18, 2010, 12:55:59 PM
MR2...I'd agree a good start will include making sure that Tyrone don't rattle over five or six points in the first 15 mins as I think the Tyrone stategy will be to go out and bury this overhyped Div 3 team (in their eyes) as soon as possible.  Agree too that we're unlikely to run up a big score so any goal chance has to be buried

Anyone know the latest on injuries to Niblock, Herron and poss Magill??  Could the arrival of KMcG be due to the fact that one or all of these players won't start??

Nail on the head there AQMP I think! Niblock is the "best CHF in the country" and would be Baker's first choice obviously. If Niblock is not available and nobody else has made that position their own to date then cue the "Maverick Genius" pose...

Herron and Gallagher MF, KMcG CHF and Mick McCann FF!

BTW the "Maverick Genius" pose in this case refers to Baker, although equally...  ;D

imtommygunn

I would be surprised if Magill doesn't start. He wasn't fit against Sligo and he has been playing club games since.

Not sure on Herron or Niblock's fitness but Magill should be ok - he's been playing club games for Randalstown.

Niblock, as the best CHF in the country according to Baker, would be expected to, if fit , start. While Kelly had a stinker in the league final he should still start.

McGourty could be due to absence of a FF or a CHF... I don't think we can seriously consider the HF line we had against Sligo again.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on May 18, 2010, 01:35:17 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on May 18, 2010, 12:55:59 PM

Nail on the head there AQMP I think! Niblock is the "best CHF in the country" and would be Baker's first choice obviously. If Niblock is not available and nobody else has made that position their own to date then cue the "Maverick Genius" pose...

Herron and Gallagher MF, KMcG CHF and Mick McCann FF!

BTW the "Maverick Genius" pose in this case refers to Baker, although equally...  ;D

Likewise OTPAW...could be you've hit the nail on the head there!!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

imtommygunn

I really can't see Magill not starting. He's been good in the league and wasn't fit for the league final.

pebble-dasher

It was just a guess at the team.  If niblocks fit then by all means start him for in centre half forward.  I like the half back line of scullion crozier and loughrey, to play sean kelly it means playing loughrey in the half forwards.  I prefer him bombing up and down from half back.  Would be a tough call to drop scullion for kelly as loughrey is a cert starter.

Ay the bear magill!

NAG1

I think SK for TS is a bit of a no brainer, he is a better all round footballer, gives a better range of passing and is more intelligent on the ball. not much of a contest there against the energy TS brings.

glens abu

Quote from: NAG1 on May 18, 2010, 02:58:23 PM
I think SK for TS is a bit of a no brainer, he is a better all round footballer, gives a better range of passing and is more intelligent on the ball. not much of a contest there against the energy TS brings.

would have to agree with that.

pebble-dasher

Quote from: glens abu on May 18, 2010, 02:59:24 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 18, 2010, 02:58:23 PM

would have to agree with that.

without doubt kelly is a superior footballer, with a better brain, skill level and can take a score, just saying it is a tough call and would be harsh on scullion. 

Its been ten years since a packed saffron casement!