Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

We got cleaned out for most of 1st half at midfield but at least started to break balls after Patsy Bradley had taken 4 marks above his head.

We were 6 -1 down half way through half and looked to be heading for a tanking but luckily got 2 fortunate enough goals from Magill and McCann who both finished well. We looked a bit toothless and couldnt score points from play in 1st half

Magill played well and wa a constant threat, spearheading the attack while P Cunningham scored a great point from play in 2nd half.

O'Boyle didnt do much at all and couldnt believe he stayed on the whole game but then again why not give him a chance--i cant see the point in bringing on Kevin Brady when we all know what he's about--the McKenna cup should be used just to try new players out--not seasoned veterans.

Gaulty was good

Benny Hasson is tall but never got near a ball all day --its worrying when we are gettin cleaned in midfield--we've a lack of big men in our county--Derry brought on Big Joe Diver at the end--we've no men near his size and i dunno if there are any out there.

Mick McCann was v good on the ball dictating the play with his head up but would need to be a good bit taller to be a top, top ball winning midfielder at county level.

We were lucky to win, especially given the jammy, comical goal Close got after a shot for a point came off the bar to magill who's shot from point blank range was saved and Closey (eventually) kicked the rebound in with his right foot off the deck

But any win over Derry (or any county) is more than welcome for us--can anyone remember the last time we beat Derry in any competition at senior level? I cant! 
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

got to the match late today as we had a challenge game v queens.

but i was very impressed with the tackling and heart that Antrim put in. Bradley has them hypnotised i think!!!! need to get another result on Wed night. pointless beating Derry if we lose on Wed night.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Atticus_Finch

Considering the players Antrim had missing they put on a good show today.  Stand out players for me were Paul Doc and Herron.  Big Magill also proved to be a handful for the Derry defence, i think he will only get better as the league goes on.

Can someone clear this up for me please ... i've been told Gerard O'Boyle hasn't played club football for two or three years but i've also been told he's playing for Dunloy ?   It'd be a strange situation getting a call up for the county team and having no club at all.

Think Down will prove a much sterner test on Wednesday night.  Marty Clarke is supposed to be flying at the minute.  Who would you put on him ? James Loughrey ?
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

imtommygunn

Who came on at midfield if the 2 boys were getting cleaned out?

I can't ever remember a win over Derry in football at any level. It says a lot in terms of belief as I haven't ever since an antrim team playing a derry team who've even looked to believe like they could compete.

aontroim

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2010, 10:36:58 PM
Who came on at midfield if the 2 boys were getting cleaned out?

I can't ever remember a win over Derry in football at any level. It says a lot in terms of belief as I haven't ever since an antrim team playing a derry team who've even looked to believe like they could compete.

I think it was Dara Edwards who replaced Neil O'Connell & Kevin Brady replaced Benny Hasson.  The two lads who started just didn't manage to adjust to the derry tactic of breaking the Antrim kickouts - they were both intent on continuing to try and get a clean catch each time and the Derry lads broke the ball each time.  For his size, I can't believe Hasson was getting out-fielded and didnt claim a single ball when he was on the pitch.

imtommygunn

Hasson sounded a couple of years ago like he was going to make it as a good player. He doesn't seem to have lived up to that promise at all though. Big chance for him this year with McKeever away. Hope he can take it...

Anyone know the story with O'Boyle? He is an odd selection after a year or two out but on form he's as good as almost anyone we would have in the FF line.

aontroim

Championship Draws made tonight and up on the website already;

http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=2119

Looks like Cargin & St. Gall's kept apart again in SFC.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: aontroim on January 18, 2010, 11:15:04 PM
Championship Draws made tonight and up on the website already;

http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=2119

Looks like Cargin & St. Gall's kept apart again in SFC.

met in the semi final last year. had any sense they would keep them apart till the final, just a thought
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pebble-dasher

The Senior Draw

1   Portglenone   V   Gortnamona
2   Lamh Dhearg   V   Ahoghill
3   Creggan   V   St Pauls

1/4 Finals   
A   3   V   Cargin
B   St Brigids   V   1
C   St Johns   V   2
D   St Galls   V   Moneyglass

Semi Finals   
   D      C
   B      A

Good match there in the first round lamh dhearg and ahoghill, the two teams promoted from division 2.  Tie of the round in my opinion.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hatchetfield on January 19, 2010, 07:56:56 PM
Hard to look beyond St Galls again i have to say but for the sake of Antrim football, a win for Cargin or another club would be good.

New year, new start for us, we should have our eyes on Division 2 title.  Try to get promoted this year and maybe get a scalp against Portglenone in the championship.  With Pollock away looking medals at St Galls, it gives some of our younger fellas a good chance to play.

St Brigids would be worth a bet eachway

why?

and what da fook about Pollock?

never heard that Pollock is looking to play for us, would he get on? what position in the forwards would he get?

SambaSaffron

First I heard about Pollock, is this confirmed? He won't make the St Galls starting team.

glens abu

heard 2 stories last night about one of Antrims fav players.1 He has left FF so political career over.2 He is coming back onto the Antrim panel this year .Anyone else hear this? 

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: glens abu on January 20, 2010, 02:31:05 PM
heard 2 stories last night about one of Antrims fav players.1 He has left FF so political career over.2 He is coming back onto the Antrim panel this year .Anyone else hear this?

1.  That was quick.  2.  We've been here before
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Minder

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on January 20, 2010, 06:05:16 PM
Quote from: glens abu on January 20, 2010, 02:31:05 PM

1.  That was quick.  2.  We've been here before

1. Were they not "professional" enough, were the sandwiches not buttered after meetings?

2. It will end in tears and tantrums. Again.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

A Quinn Martin Production

What was the team last night hs??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties