Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: hatchetfield on September 03, 2009, 09:49:48 AM
I think there is actually!

There's not. No lights apart from the 3G pitch which is a bit small for championship  ;)

Date+times probably in the wrong place. I've heard St Gall's v Cargin @ Casement Sun 13th and Portglenone v St Brigid's @ Creggan Sat 12th?

But that would require the leap of faith that the Antrim website moderator and/or the CCC are incompetent  :o

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 03, 2009, 10:06:10 AM
MR you'd have to be favourites on past form...

Individually I think Cargin maybe have better players. It's the team factor that may be their undoing. You guys play a "system" and I'm not sure I've ever seen Cargin do that.

Has to be St Gall's all the way for me ...unless Cargin overcome/catch them on the day with greater hunger and desire.

Cargiin have 7 or 8 "great" players. St Gall's have at least a dozen. Man for man, I can't think of a Cargin player that couldn't be matched (in contribution, if not style) by a St Gall's player. Maybe Michael McCann or Ciaran Close on their day but there wouldn't be much in it. There are maybe 4 or 5 Cargin players that could be matched by St Gall's subs.

All of which would matter less if Cargin had a system of play. They are also leaking goals of late which is fatal against good teams. This and their (lack of) discipline (football and otherwise) will cost them.

OverThePostsAWide

Interesting league results from the semi-finallists last night...

St Gall's "only" beating St Pauls's by 4. St John's beating St Brigid's by 2 and Portglenone beating Cargin by 4!

Pre-championship dips? (apart from Portglenone obviously). Should they not be flying 10 days before championship?

milltown row

the weather last night played a massive part in all the games. St Pauls scored a goal in our game late on.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: milltown row on September 03, 2009, 04:07:21 PM
the weather last night played a massive part in all the games. St Pauls scored a goal in our game late on.

Fair enough. That does put a different perspective on it. Bad weather can be a great leveller. I also just heard that St John's bundled a goal in in injury time but none of the spectators could see clearly what happened because it was too dark!

Here's hoping for clear skies and a firm sod for the championship weekend!

SambaSaffron

Anyone heard any info of an apparant incident at the St Johns v Glenavy game a while bacl?

milltown row

Quote from: SambaSaffron on September 03, 2009, 10:50:59 PM
Anyone heard any info of an apparant incident at the St Johns v Glenavy game a while bacl?

had it anything to do with placing your.............

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on September 03, 2009, 01:07:16 PM
Quote from: hatchetfield on September 03, 2009, 09:49:48 AM
I think there is actually!

There's not. No lights apart from the 3G pitch which is a bit small for championship  ;)

Date+times probably in the wrong place. I've heard St Gall's v Cargin @ Casement Sun 13th and Portglenone v St Brigid's @ Creggan Sat 12th?

But that would require the leap of faith that the Antrim website moderator and/or the CCC are incompetent  :o

The Antrim site has been updated...

Championship Dates / Venues

Friday 11th Sept
JFC: St Teresas V Ballycastle 7.30pm @ Casement Park

Saturday 12th   Sept
IFC:Ahoghill V Ardoyne 4.30pm @ Creggan
SFC: Portglenone v St Brigids 6.00pm @ Creggan
JFC: Eire Og V Davitts 6.00pm @ St Pauls

Sunday 13th Sept
IFC: Tir Na Nog v St Endas 1.00pm @ Glenavy
SHC: Cushendall V Loughgiel 3.00pm @ Ballycastle
SFC: Cargin V St Galls 8.00pm @ Casement Park

imtommygunn

Well done to Creggan. That's two minors in a row isn't it? Also minor and u21 in one year.

Looks good for the future for them. Hopefully they can challenge the "big two" in a few years.

ONeill

Would there be odds available on St John's beating St Galls?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

I thought this was the final??

Maybe I was wrong?

(Even if I was it still doesn't answer your question hatchetfield... I noticed on that antrim site guestbook some sarsfields person complaining about some dispute with them and st johns too.)

aontroim

Definitely not the final - it was just the replay of the disputed first-round game they played, when Creggan were told they didn't have to play extra time and so walked off the field.  St. John's appealed this as the rules say all games should have gone to extra time, but with the ref in this case saying the game was over (and a couple of other draws that night not going to extra time) eventually the DRA ruled in favour of Creggan getting back in.

Meanwhile St. John's went on to beat Sarsfields in the 1/4-final and were to meet Cargin in the semi - now it looks like Creggan are back in and having beaten St. John's, will play cargin in the semi-final.  Well that's the only sense i can make out of it anyhow.

Gorts await the winners from this side of the draw in the final.

ONeill

Quote from: ONeill on September 05, 2009, 05:52:21 PM
Would there be odds available on St John's beating St Galls?

Why did no one get back to me yiz horrble bastards.

imtommygunn

What are st johns playing st galls in?

do you mean cargin??

ONeill