Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

Clarify - Antrim's or Kilkenny's?

imtommygunn

Looks like it'll be a decider against Sligo. Does anyone know if the Sligo game is at home?

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 16, 2009, 09:32:41 AM
Looks like it'll be a decider against Sligo. Does anyone know if the Sligo game is at home?

hang on a minute we still have to play Waterford, we blew serious leads v Wicklow and Leitrim already this year. I wouldnt take the away game to London for granted.
Sligo is at home.
Agruably we have some nice footballers and should have enough to get out of Div 4, but we are weak as water at the back at times and light up front so i wouldnt be thinking too far ahead at this stage.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Gold on March 16, 2009, 10:13:55 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 16, 2009, 09:32:41 AM

hang on a minute we still have to play Waterford, we blew serious leads v Wicklow and Leitrim already this year. I wouldnt take the away game to London for granted.
Sligo is at home.
Agruably we have some nice footballers and should have enough to get out of Div 4, but we are weak as water at the back at times and light up front so i wouldnt be thinking too far ahead at this stage.

It's Antrim...who thinks far ahead??? ;D
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

SLIGONIAN

Its between Sligo, Leitrim and Antrim now.

Sligo have Carlow and Waterford at Home and Antrim and Wicklow AWAY.

Leitrim have Clare at home and Waterford and KK away.

Antrim have Sligo and London at Home and Waterford away.

Waterford play all 3 and will hopefully have alot to say yet. please do us a favour ;). Our game the winner is promoted for sure. Making it a potential cracker, disastrous time for me as it will be 12 o clock throw in on a work night over in Dubai, will i stay up for the internet radio :-\. Weve the toughest run in, carlow next we should take them and Antrim after. Should be exciting couple of weeks.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

imtommygunn

Oh yeah, I forgot about Waterford...

Still all to play for then!

Some nice footballers up front alright - not enough physical presence though. There seem to be a lot of dodgy goals being leaked this year too - we need to nip that in the bud.

TheDoc

From county website:

Antrim Extend Unbeaten Run - Carlow 1.11 Antrim 4.1415             March 2009

Antrim footballers kept their promotion prospects on target with a big win over a poor Carlow outfit at Dr Cullen Park today. 

While the result was never in doubt after a blistering opening 15 minutes when Antrim raced into a 9 point lead, this was probably as poor an opposition Antrim will face this season, apart from Kilkenny.

The straight red card for Carlow's centre forward Derek Hayden at the beginning of the second half certainly didn't help their attempts to drag themselves back into this game but for much of this match Antrim were cruising.  Frustratingly for the few travelling supporters, there did not seem to be any great urgency to improve their score difference, something they might well rue at the end of this league campaign.

Conditions were almost perfect in the spring sunshine apart from a blustery breeze and if anything it did favour the Saffrons in the first half. They certainly took advantage of this with early ball delivered into the full forward line that created mayhem in the porous Carlow defence. Kevin Brady was the architect-in-chief setting up Mark Dougan for 2 goals with Conor McGourty adding a third.  Although Brady didn't get himself onto the score-sheet, he was giving his marker Vinny Kavanagh a torrid time creating space for both the full and half forwards to all grab scores. Tomas McCann was particularly influential in the opening quarter nicking 2 points including one from the 45.

Having raced into what seemed to be an unassailable 9 point lead, Antrim failed to turn complete domination of every sector of the field to extend this advantage. Instead Carlow, despite 4 first half wides gradually began to pick off points. Mark Dougan had another goal bound shot blocked inside the small square and Conor McGourty missed from a crazy angle that he does occasionally hit the target from. The Glensmen did manage further points from Kevin McQuillan and Michael McCann to lead by 3.07 to 0.08 at half time.

The second half began much in the same way as the first with Antrim dominating the opening exchanges. However, poor finishing and another 3 wides failed to trouble the score-board and in fact it was Carlow who scored the first point in the second period. Much to Antrim manager Liam Bradley's frustration, Antrim were playing laterally and inevitably gave away far too much possession but again Carlow's shooting was woeful with a further 5 wides in the second half. Once Carlow's most influential player Hayden received his marching orders for questioning the referee's eyesight in a none too decorous manner, the game degenerated into little more than a poor training match.

Mark Dougan did grab another goal and a point but worryingly for Antrim panic was again evident when defending inside their own 45.  Colin Brady did concede a penalty which was converted by Carlow mid-fielder John Murphy, but the game was way beyond their reach at this stage. Amazingly Offaly referee Damian Brazil gave the home side another penalty despite the fact that the player fouled was as close to the large square in Kilkenny's Nowlan Park as to the Antrim square in Dr Cullen Park. However, veteran goal-keeper Sean McGreevy saw that this injustice went unrewarded with a brilliant save. Antrim's McGourty bagged the last point for Antrim to seal comprehensive 4.14 to 1.11 win.

Next up for Antrim is London in Casement Park on Saturday evening and they will undoubtedly have taken cognisance of the Exiles one point win over Waterford this weekend. Leitrim's 2 point win over Wicklow means that promotion essentially is still possible for Sligo, Leitrim and Antrim. Provided the Glensmen make no mistakes next weekend, the game with Sligo in a couple of weeks will probably be a league decider.

However, those defensive frailties may yet prove to be their undoing and it would seem that they do miss the presence of Andy McLean and Sean Kelly to provide confidence in this sector.

Antrim
1.Sean McGreevy 2.Colin Brady 3.Sean McVeigh 4.Kevin O'Boyle 5.Tony Scullion 6.Declan O'Hagan 7.Justin Crozier (0.01) 8.Michael McCann (0.01) 9.Aodhan Gallagher (0.01) 10.James Loughery (0.01) 11.Tomas McCann (0.02 – 1 45) 12.Kevin McQuillan (0.01) 13.Conor McGourty (1.04 – F2) 14.Mark Dougan (3.01) 15.Kevin Brady
Subs: P. Carey for Loughery (inj), D. Edwards (0.01) for M. McCann, M. Pollock (0.01) for McQuillan, A. Douglas for C. Brady, P. Cunningham for K. Brady

Carlow
1.James Clarke 2.Kieran Nolan 3.Shane Redmond 4.Vinny Kavanagh 5.John Hayden 6.Liam Murphy 7.Evan Doyle 8.David Phelan (0.01) 9.John Murphy (1.01) 10.Ray Walker (0.02) 11. Derek Hayden (0.03 – F3) 12.Mark Carpenter (0.01 – F1) 13.Brian Murphy (0.01) 14.Wille Minchin 15.J.J. Smith
Subs: E. McCormick (0.02) for Smith (Yellow Card), A. Curran for S. Redmond, D. Molloy for R. Walker, S. Rea for McCormick (Yellow Card)
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: TheDoc on March 16, 2009, 01:56:37 PM
From county website:

Antrim Extend Unbeaten Run - Carlow 1.11 Antrim 4.1415            

A 1,413 point win must be some sort of record even in Div 4!!  Apparently CJ got 1-927.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

TheDoc

Quote from: TheDoc on March 16, 2009, 01:56:37 PM
From county website:

Antrim Extend Unbeaten Run - Carlow 1.11 Antrim 4.14          15  March 2009

::)

TheDoc

Antrim Team For The U21 Championship V Tyrone               17 March 2009

1.Peter Graham  Kickhams
2.Daryl Mc Alernon Aghagallon
3.Dermot Mc Cann  Kickhams
4.Chris Mc Veigh  Aldergrove
5.Mark Mc Aleese Portglenone
6.Sean Hasson Rasharkin
7.Patrick Gallagher Glenavy
8.Sean Burke St.Galls
9.Gerard Mc Cann Cargin
10.Justin Crozier Cargin (Captain)
11.C.J.Mc Gourty St.Galls
12.Ryan Doyle Moneyglass
13.Mark Sweeney St.Brigids
14.Nial Mc Keever Portglenone
15.Conor Murray Lamh Dhearg

Subs 16.Paudie Magee Rossa 17.Kevin Cunningham St.Johns
18.Patrick Fitzpatrick Sarafields 19.Paudie Lowe St.Pauls
20.Thomas Mc Cann Kickhams 21.Paul Mc Cann Cargin
22.Nial Mc Alea Sarsfields 23.Sean Redmond Tir Na Nog
24.Odhran Mc Larnon Kickhams 25.Mark Magowan St.Galls
26.Colm Fleming Rossa 27.Aiden Gribben St.Galls
28.Peter Owens St.Galls

PlayWithTheWind

Lets hope none of these boys are out on the lash today or in the Hollylands.
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Glensman

Under 21 tonight at Casement or away? Read differing things yesterday.

Decent team out. Hope they get stuck in and go for it.

Minder

Quote from: Glensman on March 18, 2009, 09:50:43 AM
Under 21 tonight at Casement or away? Read differing things yesterday.

Decent team out. Hope they get stuck in and go for it.

Its in Omagh as far as i know.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

culchie11

under 21's are playing in omagh!!
always were!!

should be decent game thinking of heading!!
good team, with plenty of county seniors in there!!

can anyone tell me, are mcdee's not allowed to play home matches this year!!
had heard this as they were to play glenravel at home first game but it was played in glenravel!?!?!
whats the reason!!!

playwiththewind1st

I don't honestly know if it's the reason or not in this case, but it's usually the sanction when a club fails to nominate a referee.