Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Need a win or the season (and straight talking Liam Bradley's career) are effectively over.

Who's in charge of the under 21s?

I was out walking my Bull Staff along Finaghy Road (North) last evening. Passing Woodlands I couldn't help but notice a group of young men in Antrim tracksuits lounging round the gates. Apparently this was the under-21 squad waiting for someone to turn the floodlights on. They weren't turned on at any stage (the lights that is, not the players, although most likely the players weren't turned on either). The squad went home.

Shambles.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Minder

You have to admit we do "Shambles" more frequently and with more style than anyone else.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

aye sam, was speaking to that player who ya thought was going to hurl ;) and he said the lights didn't work, boys coming 50/60 miles to train and no lights. so what do you do? you f*ucking train in the dark. a bit of physical training and put the night to good use

bannside

milltown row

anyone at the match? was away playing a game so missed it.

beat my bet also  >:( 

are we doomed?

Gold

i was there. we should have won. Wicklow were atrocious.
Tony Scullion shouldnt be allowed to kick a ball again--there is no room at this level for stupid footballers--surely someone must have taken him aside and said to him to lay the ball off--hes a great engine but refuses to play it simple--when the simple hand pass is on--he hoofs it with no direction--worst case in point was in the last play of the game when he kicked it over the heads of the full forward line and it bounced into the keepers hands. Disgusting.

I mean why does he persist in kicking high balls in the direction of the smallest and weakest full forward line in Ireland?

3 goals and 6 points from frees--Wicklow were shite. 3 jammy goals--Antrim were about 7-2 up at one stage and coasting--i dont know what happened. Last goal was just hoofed in and the full forward caught the ball over the full backs head and buried it--schoolboy stuff. Kevin O'Boyle did quite well at the back, Loughrey was class and at the heart of most scores, while Mick McCann and Aidso were brilliant at times in Midfield. Unfortunetly Mick McCann missed right at the death that would have won the game(for about the 3rd time) but missed it in the same way Vernon did in the McKenna Cup Final.

A loss against such weak opposition would have been a disaster, but a draw was poor.

Full forward line was very poor--CJ and P Cunningham refuse to show for the ball, hiding in behind looking for the ball over the top--this is not Primary School football--we need someone who can get out to f**k and win the ball. The aforementioned hit numerous wides from ridiculous angles and must have thought that the Wicklow keeper was a Saffron given the amount of passes they lofted  into his hands.

We did score a couple of nice points however, usually when Loughrey and Mick McCann were flying through. Murray scored 2 on the end of such moves in the 1st half but didnt do much else
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Glensman

Agree with all you said Gold. Very good summation.

We need to know our strengths and our limitations and that goes for each specific player. Tony Scullion could be quite an effective player if he never kicked the ball...break, hassle, harry speed away from a man and then lay off the ball immediately. He hoofs it constantly - where it goes no one knows, even Tony (especially Tony).
Gallagher made up for some poor poor loss of possession (I would sayalmost 5 times) by some brilliant catching...again know your limitations and strengths.

O'Hagan did grand in the first half when Antrim were largely dominant (and didn't make the most of this dominance). Stray handpass eventually led to their penalty but it wasn't a penalty and it was saved by Sean anyway. O'Hagan got a bad knock to the face when trying and failing to stop one of Wicklow's goals and went off as a blood sub not coming back on.

Couldn't agree more about the full forward line not showing. If they made a 1/2 or a 1/4 of the runs that the Armagh/Tyrone/Kerry full forward lines make then we would have won easily.
Worst was CJ calling for a huge high ball in. Close delivered a good ball that would have been perfect for a Donaghy type target man and he went for it, was beaten to it and stayed on the ground clutching his face for a bit?!
Now he might be able to time that jump in the Antrim league, come out from behind a man, nick it from him and pop it over but that doesn't wash at that level (which isn't a very bloody high level).
He also was unbelievably greedy near the end of the first half when he could have taken a point or laid it off to another for a goal but chose to go himself.
Now I am a fan of CJ, don't get me wrong, but if he doesn't start making those runs, play a bit for the team, play the simple pass now and again and bulk up a bit we may lose him. Can you imagine Mickey Magee/McMenamin from Tyrone marking him - eaten alive I'd say.

Antrim can't afford any more slip ups from here and that's a shame as the Sligo game will be very tough.
Negativity aside when we played it simple, worked hard and broke through we didn't look the worst.

Its a roller coaster of emotions being an Antrim supporter - my missis is starting to learn to leave me a bit of breathing space when I get back from a game.

away on at wit ye

was at the game yesterday too. agree very much with most of what glensman and gold have already said. although once again we failed to grind out a result, i did come away particularly encouraged by some of our free flowing football at times, in particular loughrey, cairan close and michael mc cann. aidso gallagher, despite the odd mistake, did show plenty of bite and passion throughout the game and didn't let his head drop. it's easy to sit and say how the team should be picked from sitting in the stand but it's clear we need a big, strong, physical ball-winner in the full foward line. the likes of dara edwards or niblock would be ideal for laying it off to tomás, cj or paddy cunningham. it's also a pity magill has a job in london as his physical presence was missed yesterday.

Gold

What is Tony Scullion on about in the Irish News today? Cant he see that he is the problem?

NAG

Gold I have to say I said it last week before the game and he proved me right. There is a reason that he runs with his head down and doesnt pass the ball now it is clear that he cant kick it.
If I had the game he had at the weekend the last thing I would do this week is be in the paper but I guess thats half the problem with both the hurling and the football teams at the moment, they are getting recognition for very poor performances.

Gold

Quote from: NAG on February 03, 2009, 03:29:11 PM
Gold I have to say I said it last week before the game and he proved me right. There is a reason that he runs with his head down and doesnt pass the ball now it is clear that he cant kick it.
If I had the game he had at the weekend the last thing I would do this week is be in the paper but I guess thats half the problem with both the hurling and the football teams at the moment, they are getting recognition for very poor performances.

Exactly. I was so shocked i felt i had to portray that shock here.

Listen, if i was taking an u-12 team and someone kept kicking the ball like that id have to take them aside and told them what they were doing wrong and to never do it again---never mind a Senior County footballer.
I dont like slating individuals but enough is enough, if he keeps doing the same thing he and we are going to get the same results. Possession is vital. Look at Tyrone, they rarely if ever lose the head and just hoof the ball, TS does it 9 times out of 10 when he gets the ball.

Many players are great, class acts at Club level but will never make it at County level as they refuse to do the simple things. Good County players do the simple things and take the best option 95% of the time.

Another thing is CJ refuses to do the simple thing, hes always looking for the outrageous score or an eye of a needle pass that isnt on. It looked ridiculous the other day and i couldnt believe he didnt get whipped off.

As a supporter it is a relief every time a player gets a ball, gains 10 yards and finds his man with the hand or foot. Simple flowing football. No hoofs or ridiculous passes or shots. Is that to much to ask?

haranguerer

I haven't any knowledge of the man at all, but was taking a nosy at the Irish News interview, and it seems to support your point!

From it:  "Antrim have struggled to make any tangible impact in the NFL and Championship since Scullion first donned the saffron jersey."
:D

Bitta-Banter

Larry Duff

Squad v Kilkenny

1 Sean Mac Fionmhacain    John Finucane Lamh Dhearg
2 Coilin Ó Bradaigh Colin Brady Naomh Gall
3 Sean Mac an Bheatha Sean McVeigh Naomh Uile
4 Caoimhin Ó Baoill Kevin O'Boyle Clann na hEireann
5 Antaine Ó Scollain Tony Scullion Clann na hEireann
6 Deaglan Ó hAgain Deaglan O'Hagan Naomh Brid
7 Saerbhreathach Cruiseir Justin Crozier Clann na hEireann
8 Micheal Mac Cana Michael McCann Clann na hEireann
9 Aodhan Ó Gallchoir Aidan Gallagher Naomh Gall
10 Seamas Ó Luachra James Loughrey Naomh Brid
11 Ciaran Ó Cluasaigh   Ciaran Close Clann na hEireann
12 Conchur Ó Muiri Conor Murray Lamh Dhearg
13Tomas Mac Cana Tomás McCann Clann na hEireann
14 Padraig Ó Cuinneagain Patrick Cunningham Lamh Dhearg
15 Conchur Eoin Mac Dhorchaidh C J McGourty Naomh Gall
16Sean Mag Riabhaigh  Sean McGreevey Naomh Pól
17 Pól Ó Conallain Paul Conlon Gort na Mona
18 Diarmuid Mac Cana  Dermot McCann Ciceam Creágan
19 Caoimhin Mac Uilin   Kevin Mc Quillan Dun Laitha
20 Breandan Ó hOsain  Benny Hasson Naomh Mhuire
21 Niall Ó Conaill Neil O Connell Ahoghill
22 Caoimhin Ó Bradaigh Kevin Brady Naomh Eargnaid
23 Sean de Burca Sean Burke Naomh Gall
24 Marcas Ó Duagain Mark Dougan Ciceam Creágan

Surprised there are no changes from the Wicklow game.  Thought Edwards might have got a chance, to add a bit of physical presence to the forward line. Why is he not even in the panel? Is he injured? Hope he hasn't become disillusioned with the county set up already :-\

Cruncher

Disappointed to see no change in forward line as we are far too small and light!!! Edwards may well have walked out as he'd be known for being fairly tempermental. We need the like of niblock in there to win more ball which the current forward line seem afraid to do! Also, scullion needs to go before he causes any more damage!