Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunloy

Your point is valid that the starting 15(bar CJ) would probably still come from that squad,Surely though you cant drop players on the merit that they might not make your starting 15? Brady to me is an obvious inclusion, i just dont understand how some of these boys have gotten there chance whilst others havent?

And i dont exactly agree that he hasnt totally gone for younth with the inclusion of mcgreevy, brady and joe quinn.. im aiming my comments more at the borderline players if you will, to me a 22-27 year old player who is extablished at county football is worth a shot more so than an u-21? is this group of players forgotten about?
All you have to do is look at Ryan McMenamin and Francie Bellew as evidence that there worth a try

PlayWithTheWind

The Walsh Cup final has been officially fixed for this Sunday 3rd Februaury at 2pm in Casement Park by the Leinster Council.

Footballers Sunday February 3rd: Away to Wicklow

Michael Magill surely cant be in two places at once?
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Dunloy

Heard magill is in fantastic shape at the minute, you never know maybe he could ;D ;D ;D ;D

On a more serious note good to see the hurlers doing well, and a win of sunday to lift the walsh cup would be a great great boost for this county, however surely the league comes above a pre season cup competition, im sure if it was the other way about and say antrim were playing in the mckenna cup whilst the hurlers had their first league game the league would take preference?

I assume tho the decision will be left to the player himself,

PlayWithTheWind

decision made, Michael Magill will be playing for Antrim hurlers this weekend and propably for the rest of the year.

i heard Jody was on his back, ringing him several times at 7.30 Monday morning, and Magill lost the rag and told him where to go and that he would be playing for the hurlers.

Glensman

You heard wrong Play...Jody did indeed ring him to find out. Any managers right to do so (7.30am a bit overzealous).

But from what I hear he never "lost the rag and told him where to go".

Stop scare mongering until you have something concrete.

aontroim

After at least 3 meetings and two and a half hours of intensive debate this evening, Antrim County Committee have finally agreed on the structures for the All County Leagues and Championships for 2008.

The headline changes are as follows.

The football leagues will be structured on the basis of the CCC proposal which can be found in the Admin section of this site.

The football championship will remain as an open draw with no seeding except that there will be two Junior football championships for teams competing in and dependent on their lower league status.

A Quinn Martin Production

From the BBC

Wicklow v Antrim
Aughrim
Sunday, 3 February
Throw-in: 1430 GMT
Live updates on BBC Radio Ulster MW & the BBC Sport website

Antrim boss Jody Gormley goes with the tried and test for Sunday's Allianz NFL Division Four trip to Wicklow. Apart from Gort na Mona's Michael Pollock, who will be making his League debut, Gormley gives his regulars a run to prove themselves.

Sean Kelly leads the side from centre-half back while Kevin McGourty and Joe Quinn are midfield partners. Antrim will be without Micheal Magill who will line-out with the hurlers when they face Offaly in the Walsh Cup.

Antrim: S McGreevy; T Scullion, P Doherty, A McClean; P Close, S Kelly, J Crozier, J Quinn, K McGourty; A Gallagher, M McCann, T O'Neill; M Pollock, K Niblock, J Loughrey.

Kevin Niblock @ FF and James Loughrey in the corner...Any thoughts???

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

imtommygunn

I'd prefer scoose and Tony Scullion to switch positions... Think Tony Scullion is good at half back but dodgy in full back line.

Not at all sure about the FF line but then with McGourty, Magill and Cunningham not there you're probably losing your whole FF line so have a lot less to pick from. Is Ciaran Close fit an in the panel?

I'd expect Loughrey to maybe play closer to midfield and leave the other two in there. Niblock is strong on the ball so probably not a bad option for FF.

Aside from that almost the best we've got.

PlayWithTheWind

latest scoreline

wicklow 1-7 antrim 0-7

ONeill

That's a fine win for the Saffrons down in Wicklow.

Promotion push is definitely on.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

PlayWithTheWind

Wicklow 1-8 Antrim 1-13

great weekend for Antrim gaels

milltown row

who played well? good scoring for this time of the year

PlayWithTheWind

From the bbc website:

Wicklow 1-8 1-13 Antrim 

Thomas McCann celebrates after scoring his goal for Antrim
Antrim stormed back from four points down at half-time to claim victory in their Allianz NFL Division Four opener at Aughrim on Sunday.
The Ulster visitors were a point ahead after a tight opening 20 minutes but Sean Odlum's goal helped Wicklow to a 1-6 to 0-5 lead at half-time.

It was all Antrim after the break as they fought back to level before racing clear of the Leinster men.

Thomas McCann netted with eight minutes left as the Saffrons eased to a win.

Says Thomas McCann scored the goal, although shows a picture of Paddy Cunningham celebrating. You could never be too sure with the bbc!

hope young McCann did get it, heard he flew home from a ski trip to make the game.

ONeill

How does one go about claiming Saffron citizenship? How long do I need to live and work here? I can play the Green Glens and know what a bacon butty is.

The future's yellowish.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on February 03, 2008, 07:59:35 PM
How does one go about claiming Saffron citizenship? How long do I need to live and work here? I can play the Green Glens and know what a bacon butty is.

The future's yellowish.

You would have to change your avatar for a start.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"