Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcgdoire

Quote from: AntrimRealist on September 11, 2023, 02:07:22 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on September 11, 2023, 02:01:22 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on September 11, 2023, 12:47:41 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 11, 2023, 12:36:59 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on September 11, 2023, 12:33:11 PM
Was there a prior connection between the Downey's and St Brigid's or how did that come about? Obviously they've fallen out with Lavey so had to go play somewhere but presumably there was some reason St Brigid's were the chosen club.

Their mother's club AFAIK

Will the people on here be a wee bit more comforted knowing this information and they not just some random blow ins?

Ultimately it doesn't make a big difference to me personally as I've no dog in the race but I do think the fact they've gone to a club that they have family connections too makes a big difference.

They fell out with Lavey and unfortunately that shit happens. Young lads who no doubt grew up with the game so obviously needed a new home. There will have been easier options too where they could probably go and lift a load of medals but they've gone to a club that they have a connection too and also not one who have that winning tradition at senior level (yet).

I'd say it makes it easier for club people too. They'll know the family and know there's a connection to the club and not just complete outsiders turning up.

So based on this, the apparent link with Cargin first is complete nonsense and they had a burning desire all along to play for St Brigids.  Whilst a family connection might go some way towards explaining the move to that particular club, I doubt it's of any comfort to those players who are no longer in the reckoning for a start as well as those moving up into the senior ranks in the next year or two.

Sick of seeing ones complain about the lads who lost there starting spot. Ive seen these Downeys before and I seen them again yesterday and theres nothing spectacular there. Enda is a good asset as a left footed free taker but there rest are just fine. It seems to be that brigids (fairly minor) improvement is more down to there success at underage in recent years.
Really dont understand why these lads deserve this much airtime. If your upset some lavey lads took your starting spot then thats on you for not locking it down.

ck

Was there a prior connection between the Downey's and St Brigid's or how did that come about? Obviously they've fallen out with Lavey so had to go play somewhere but presumably there was some reason St Brigid's were the chosen club.

Will the people on here be a wee bit more comforted knowing this information and they not just some random blow ins?

Did the club even exist when the mother lived there? Good story though.

imtommygunn

Also they're not all brothers are they... however  ;D

I would be with jmcgdoire tbh. I didn't think they were massively impressive barring the frees and afew bursting runs from the no 10 I think it was. They were decent enough but not really standout. They're definitely decent footballers but jury out on whether more than decent. I guess the Cargin game will be a good test.

God14

Quote from: jmcgdoire on September 11, 2023, 03:40:09 PM
Quote from: AntrimRealist on September 11, 2023, 02:07:22 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on September 11, 2023, 02:01:22 PM

Ultimately it doesn't make a big difference to me personally as I've no dog in the race but I do think the fact they've gone to a club that they have family connections too makes a big difference.

They fell out with Lavey and unfortunately that shit happens. Young lads who no doubt grew up with the game so obviously needed a new home. There will have been easier options too where they could probably go and lift a load of medals but they've gone to a club that they have a connection too and also not one who have that winning tradition at senior level (yet).

I'd say it makes it easier for club people too. They'll know the family and know there's a connection to the club and not just complete outsiders turning up.

So based on this, the apparent link with Cargin first is complete nonsense and they had a burning desire all along to play for St Brigids.  Whilst a family connection might go some way towards explaining the move to that particular club, I doubt it's of any comfort to those players who are no longer in the reckoning for a start as well as those moving up into the senior ranks in the next year or two.

Sick of seeing ones complain about the lads who lost there starting spot. Ive seen these Downeys before and I seen them again yesterday and theres nothing spectacular there. Enda is a good asset as a left footed free taker but there rest are just fine. It seems to be that brigids (fairly minor) improvement is more down to there success at underage in recent years.
Really dont understand why these lads deserve this much airtime. If your upset some lavey lads took your starting spot then thats on you for not locking it down.

Agree with the jist of that, but young Matthew is the exception
Was he playing yesterday? He's had his injury problems this year, but without a doubt he's one of the most impressive young players in Ulster.
His inclusion in this whole affair makes it such a big deal (for me) and his parents have no immediate links to Brigid's. His mother was from Ardboe!
Not too many clubs have a playmaker of his ilk at their disposal.

Link

have you been living under a rock for 5 or 6 years.
this is easily one of the worst takes i've seen on this board for a long time.

jmcgdoire

Quote from: Link on September 11, 2023, 05:18:04 PM

I know what ive seen. Theres talent there im sure but I think this whole transfer nonsense has gotten them overhyped. God14 may well be right about matthew and i already praised enda. I dont like coming on here to talk down these young lads who have done no wrong but theres a reason lavey havent won anything since the 90s and it didnt look like these lads were going to get them over the line anytime soon anyway. Theyll have a better chance winning a championship in antrim in a few years anyway

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: jmcgdoire on September 11, 2023, 06:54:17 PM

I know what ive seen. Theres talent there im sure but I think this whole transfer nonsense has gotten them overhyped. God14 may well be right about matthew and i already praised enda. I dont like coming on here to talk down these young lads who have done no wrong but theres a reason lavey havent won anything since the 90s and it didnt look like these lads were going to get them over the line anytime soon anyway. Theyll have a better chance winning a championship in antrim in a few years anyway

Not sure about that, a lot of people were tipping lavey to be the next team to challenge Glen.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 11, 2023, 07:23:52 PM

Not sure about that, a lot of people were tipping lavey to be the next team to challenge Glen.

I'd agree with Hoof

country bumpkin

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 11, 2023, 07:29:39 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 11, 2023, 07:23:52 PM

I'd agree with Hoof

Of course the Downeys are talented lads but as to carrying the Musgrave men to a county title anytime soon.
As for Lavey replacing Glen top of the pops in Derry anytime soon  if that to happen are Bellaghy, Newbridge, etc coming to Antrim.

The Biddies never came close to a senior in our county and are these young lads gonna carry them over the line

Football to be played yet and I am sure Cargin are not about to abdicate......

quit yo jibbajabba

CB Lavey a young outfit overall and there was only one way they were goin next few years. Plenty talent coming through. Them and m'felt next in line. Don't get me wrong I'm happy enough to see them lose 4 probable v influential figures for next while. But anyways I've spoke enough about Derry on here, the mob will be after me again 😆

country bumpkin

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 11, 2023, 09:21:13 PM
CB Lavey a young outfit overall and there was only one way they were goin next few years. Plenty talent coming through. Them and m'felt next in line. Don't get me wrong I'm happy enough to see them lose 4 probable v influential figures for next while. But anyways I've spoke enough about Derry on here, the mob will be after me again 😆

Lotta teams in Derry, some served well by St Pats, Mary's and Pius X.....as are Cargin

But peer through the bushes there are more than a few in the medioctrity zone.......

Link

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 11, 2023, 09:04:22 PM

Of course the Downeys are talented lads but as to carrying the Musgrave men to a county title anytime soon.
As for Lavey replacing Glen top of the pops in Derry anytime soon  if that to happen are Bellaghy, Newbridge, etc coming to Antrim.

The Biddies never came close to a senior in our county and are these young lads gonna carry them over the line

Football to be played yet and I am sure Cargin are not about to abdicate......

Not ahead of Lavey anytime soon.

geezer

In relation to the Downeys, i get it from both sides. As MR2 alluded to, the lads have to play somewhere. But im more in the camp of play with your own. Particularly because st brigids have had the most underage success  in recent years. Its a poisoned chalice that their committee had, damned if they do, damned if they dont. Time will tell what the best decision was. I just feel that they should have stuck with their own no matter what.

They seem to have a win at all costs mentality, may work for them, but i cant see it at all. Play with your own, and if you do manage to win it will mean 100x more.

imtommygunn

None of this changes the fact cargin are strong favourites and it would be a big surprise if they are beat by st Brigids!