Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAAhead2013

Quote from: Dreen on August 25, 2023, 10:12:53 AM
A lot of good points there but the challenge game doesn't work if the neighbouring counties are playing games every week and we are the only county in Ulster who run dual to the level we do.

I don't know the other county fixtures to look at that. But what's the solution? If we run it all together in the same week, we end up with the league over a lot quicker and many lads/ladies being run into the ground.
A non-dual league every second week? Just means you potentially play the same team 4 times that year but allows for more game opps and the dual lads don't get hammered? Only thing is, I don't fancy putting my hand up for fixtures in CB this year   :o  Which is probably what it all comes down to.
If it's a serious issue get it raised through club officials and recommend a fixtures 'task force' to review and resolve.

Milltown Row2

What's your end goal here? More league games? Or kids just having fun?

Typically kids play for club and school all year round, training with the school and club and games with both. If the lad/girl plays both they are getting plenty of games and having fun.

Parents/coaches/clubs sometimes need to remember what the association was set up for

Our sport isn't just about producing all Ireland champions, unfortunately there will be counties or clubs will never be in that position.

Kids should be playing both codes through to senior and pick one at senior level and play for the reserves at the other.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dreen

We shouldn't be starting juvenile leagues early March for a start and also in my opinion not running minor games on a Sunday which is puts pressure on referee numbers also.
Gaahead, it's been raised for years and task forces and meetings and it has be tried this way and that but it's needs changed again and I think it will.  I'm talking about underage hurling and boys football.
The camogie and ladies football is a different story

Your point is fair MR2 about playing both codes to senior but what do you do with the clubs that only play one code?

Are we saying that our games are just fun at underage? Kids want games, that's what you train for.

U12 down will be go games and above that has to be developmental yes but competitive.

EOC1923

All pretty much went to script tonight, McBride was decent for St John's and one or two others but huge difference in fitness and conditioning between the two teams I thought.
Tougher tests ahead, Moneyglass v Aghagallon could be an interesting game by all accounts.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: EOC1923 on August 25, 2023, 10:19:12 PM
All pretty much went to script tonight, McBride was decent for St John's and one or two others but huge difference in fitness and conditioning between the two teams I thought.
Tougher tests ahead, Moneyglass v Aghagallon could be an interesting game by all accounts.

Never saw as big a full forward line on any team
Shivers Kelly Quinn
Throw in mcshane, stork, conor Johnston
There's a lot of physique there to go with their football
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

country bumpkin

Struggle to see a realistic challenger rsise their head to offer challenge to Cargin....

Biased I know.....but feel free with opinion.....

stiffler

Quote from: country bumpkin on August 26, 2023, 09:06:10 AM
Struggle to see a realistic challenger rsise their head to offer challenge to Cargin....

Biased I know.....but feel free with opinion.....

I still think portglenone will come good once they have their key men back.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

bannside

Hold that horse, we need to beat Ahoghill today or its curtains for us.

CB you are entitled to that view, you are already contemplating your provincial campaign, and how on paper and injury wise Cargin are far better positioned than last year. That sets the bar very high for the chasing pack.

stiffler

Quote from: bannside on August 26, 2023, 09:43:19 AM
Hold that horse, we need to beat Ahoghill today or its curtains for us.

CB you are entitled to that view, you are already contemplating your provincial campaign, and how on paper and injury wise Cargin are far better positioned than last year. That sets the bar very high for the chasing pack.

Does a draw not get you through ?

bannside

Yes, but only if St Endas don't win at Hannahstown. I can't see that happening tbh. Portglenone need a performance to get their championship started, hopefully that's today. Still missing a few (injuries and suspension) but you've got to live with that!

stiffler

Bookies certainly fancy portglenone comfortably , 1/10.

imtommygunn

Currently hard to see cargin challenged never mind beaten.

geezer

Quote from: Ghost+Tommy on August 26, 2023, 01:19:14 PM
Quote from: bannside on August 26, 2023, 10:10:36 AM
Yes, but only if St Endas don't win at Hannahstown. I can't see that happening tbh. Portglenone need a performance to get their championship started, hopefully that's today. Still missing a few (injuries and suspension) but you've got to live with that!
As I said earlier in the week,we'll beat that shower in Hannahstown by 6/7,and that'll be enough to get us into last 8

Why so confident? LD the much better side IMO.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Ghost+Tommy on August 26, 2023, 02:20:36 PM
Quote from: geezer on August 26, 2023, 01:43:15 PM
Quote from: Ghost+Tommy on August 26, 2023, 01:19:14 PM
Quote from: bannside on August 26, 2023, 10:10:36 AM
As I said earlier in the week,we'll beat that shower in Hannahstown by 6/7,and that'll be enough to get us into last 8

Why so confident? LD the much better side IMO.
Because I believe in our lads,they hold no fear off them,10/3 is a good price,won't be just us with a trip too the bookies if you get my drift😉

If Enda's field at full strength and particularly Peter Healey on board they are a capable of causing upset on the mountain.....

imtommygunn

Ld come back from three down to draw and portglenone by seven. Close for st endas.